PDA

View Full Version : Engine for the Spence Car

nolastyankee
April 14th, 2004, 06:11 AM
All,
I am building a really sweet 351W for the Spence car that should develop about 410 hp according to the Deskto Dyno program. However in my internet travels I ran across the site below and could not help but think that perhaps we should use this engine instead? You can't have too much horsepower, right? You thought your header bolts were a bugger to tighten...

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Tony Radford
April 14th, 2004, 08:33 AM
I think you can get it with a stroker crank for an additional $200. It's worth it.

427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

gasman
April 14th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Me thinks a bigger hood scoop will be needed. [:o)]

Steve Foushee

rdorman
April 14th, 2004, 10:47 PM
You might need a longer wheel base for that one!

Did you see this issue of kit car? Three windsor builds and seems to me one was 430, right in the neighborhood you are looking. All major components are listed. Heck, why not let them be the test subjects and go with a 'proven' package?

I shared some emails with your father. Are you going for the brakes upgrade? Is the body still off the car? I was wondering if I could ask a favor!

Thanks
Rick

nolastyankee
April 14th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Rick,
Brake upgrade is going to happen. The body is on the car for now. I am in the middle of moving and Dad has the car in the mean time. While the body is on we'll do all the sheet metal work and rough body work. In two months when I move into our new house the body comes back off and the build continues...

What can we do for you?

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

rdorman
April 14th, 2004, 11:12 PM
I was hoping that I could get the dimensions from the new Hawk suspension that you put on the car. If you could measure the distance to the ground for the six pickup points (three per a-arm) and the distances between the center of each point that would be GREAT! Obviously, this is easier with the body off. Take a plumb bob and mark the six spots on the floor and measure the distances.

If you could do that some time, no rush at all, I would be very greatful!

Don't forget that steering column modification!

Thanks
Rick

spd4me
April 16th, 2004, 04:07 AM
I saw a cataloge the other day from Jack Rousch Racing. He's now marketing and selling some awesome crate engines. If I had to do over, I could have gotten one of his Windsors with 500 plus hp for what I got in mine. I'm sure he has a web site somewhere.

pbrown
April 17th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Roush does have some nice looking engines. Here is the website.

http://www.roushperf.com/

--Patrick