PDA

View Full Version : brake bias

casaleenie
April 23rd, 2004, 01:12 AM
This will be the third time I've tried to post this... Keeps telling me I'm not logged in...
\If this doesn't fly this time I'll call each one of you personally...

Need some info on brake bias adjustment... took the drivers seat out to install some padding and the crotch belt. Looked around for loose nuts and bolts and found the front brake bias adjustment bolt loose.
I've got the build manual in front of me but page 13 consists of a diagram and 13 words to discribe how to make the proper adjustment.
I definitely need more words...
Seems like an inordinate amount of slop in the adjusting rod.
I'll check the archieves as soon as I try to post this but would appreciate any help.

I consider the brakes to be somewhat important just like the steering wheel and the fuzzy dice.. :D

AL

casaleenie
April 23rd, 2004, 01:19 AM
Just checked the archives and found what I was looking for.
Thanks Dorman, Excelguru, Jhaynie and everyone else who posted on that topic...
I'm headed back under the dash...

Still need to know about the slop issue... I read that you didn't want it to bind.. but just how loose...
Dorman, I may be driving to Columbus with marginal braking and wide eyes...:D

AL

jhaynie
April 23rd, 2004, 02:20 AM
It should be pretty loose. I think 1/4" of movement is normal. Call Wilwood tech support and they can talk you through it.

John

casaleenie
April 23rd, 2004, 04:57 AM
John,

Quarter inch from side to side...
Do you nut it down tight... One side is 1/2" and the other nut is 7/16"??

I'll call the tech at Wilwood.

AL

jhaynie
April 23rd, 2004, 06:08 AM
Both sides are different sizes and you do not tighten them down tight. There is a .pdf file on Wilwood's website that answers technical setup questions about the braking system.

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

GeorgiaSnake
April 23rd, 2004, 08:35 AM
Al just remember you want more front brake. Also don't get stuck in the footbox it is small and tight for us older guys:D

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

casaleenie
April 23rd, 2004, 10:10 AM
Randy,

not a problem... I had to take the seat out to get as far as I did the first time.... More front brake? boy, I had that wrong...
I guess I should have known that... The only brakes I ever replace on the cars are the front ones...
:D

AL

bittentoo
April 23rd, 2004, 11:12 AM
Al, went through the same with my brakes a while back. Figured that I should take the slop out, so I did and it wouldn't stop worth a sh#&! Put a good 1/4" or more back in and a little more front bias and it stops great!

casaleenie
April 25th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Bittentoo,

I'll give that a try tomorrow...
thanks

AL