PDA

View Full Version : Something doesn't look right

pgermond
April 27th, 2004, 10:47 AM
This evening I'm under the car checking, tightening, and so on after a long ride last week and I come across the bellows/boot that covers the tie rod where it mounts to the rack assembly. The pic says the rest. I've never seen this happen before. The same thing on the driver side, but not as severe. Any comments on the cause are much appreciated.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/pgermond/Tie rod boot.JPG

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Brent
April 27th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Phil,
The boots will do that if they are twisted. If someone adjusted the tie rods without removing the two zip ties on each end of the boot and twisted the arms on the rack instead of removing the rod ends this will happen. You can see where the flat areas on the rod have had a wrench on them where the paint is scratched.

Looks like a lazy alignment technician to me.

Are the jam nuts on the rod ends tight?

Brent

pgermond
April 27th, 2004, 12:05 PM
Brent,
Thanks for your reply.... and I think you hit on the answer. Yes, the jam nuts are tight, but I don't recall them being twisted like that prior to last week (not that they weren't, I just don't remember seeing that, and I watch this car like a newborn babe). I'm thinking I should cut the outside zip ties on each tie rod - straighten the boot - and re-zip. Sound about right?

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

GeorgiaSnake
April 27th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Phil, my boots did the same thing (not as bad)when I did a preliminary alignment. Snip the ties apply a little lubricant and re-tie.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

eliminator
April 27th, 2004, 09:10 PM
You dont really need the ties on the small end, snip them and leave them off. They fit plenty tight, use some type of rubber friendly lube, slip them back in place and thats it.

Rick