PDA

View Full Version : Went to Dyno this evening

jhaynie
April 27th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Not what I expected. Before the first run I was playing with spark plug wires and inadvertently loosened one. Got a whopping 115hp on the first pull:(.

The second pull (on all eight cylinders) only came up with 190HP.[V].

Still working on it. Hopefully this will be the starting point to get this car in tune before homecoming. Best I did a year or so ago was 230HP but it is still running rich. Gonna leave it with the guys for another week, change the plugs, play with the Holley software and see if we can get it where it should be, around 270hp.

Oh, and if anyone needs it for comparison:
289FIA, 5/8 tank gas, 351W iron heads = 2515 lbs.

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

eliminator
April 27th, 2004, 09:12 PM
John,

What did you use to weight the car?? Have been wanting to get a weight on mine but havn't found any portable scales.

Rick

jhaynie
April 27th, 2004, 10:10 PM
The guys in the shop had this really cool set of scales that had a separate pad for each wheel. We jacked the car up and set it on the pads. It gave the weight for each wheel. These guys roadrace old Mustangs so they have alot of this high-tech equipment. The car was about 1200lbs in the front and 1300lbs in the rear. A little heavier on the drivers side due to brakes, steering, battery,etc.

I only get 190HP on the dyno, and you want to ask me how they weighed my car!!!!

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

eliminator
April 27th, 2004, 10:33 PM
John,

I didn't want to bring up that "sore" subject. My H-D gets 105 HP to the rear wheel, 565 lbs.
I think I have you beat HP to Weight ratio.
Seriously, I think you need to Tune That Snake Up, is it a solid lifter engine?

Rick

gasman
April 27th, 2004, 10:52 PM
John, did you change out the carburetor?

Steve Foushee

jhaynie
April 27th, 2004, 11:00 PM
No Steve. And if I can't get over 190HP out of this Holley FI system, I told Brian Weeks thats the next step. I've got Quickfuels number saved in my favorites folder for that day.

Oh, and the fun thing was that he let me run the car on the dyno. I actually had never had my car over 100mph before. Hit 107 in 4th gear at around 3800rpm. Wonder where 5th gear would take me??[:O]

Elim, I don't know if it is a solid lifter engine. The block is a 1969, does that tell you anything?

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

rdorman
April 27th, 2004, 11:01 PM
Weighing the car....... Many professional builders supply places have scales that they use to weigh the truck to determine the weight of the load to charge the customer. I went to one and they weighed it for free. I got the weight with me in the car of just the front wheels and then the rear. Later I had the car on four electronic scales and confirmed that the weight from the builders supply was actually very close.
Rick

dmiller
April 27th, 2004, 11:11 PM
our city trash dump weights trucks as the pass into and out of dump, will weight cars for free.

i don't know if the weight stations along highway for trucks will weight one.

doug

gasman
April 28th, 2004, 12:25 AM
Most truck stops have scales too.

Steve Foushee

eliminator
April 28th, 2004, 12:36 AM
John,

If you have solid lifters they need adjusted and can rob you of HP. Only your engine builder would know. General rule of thumb, adjust solid lifters at every oil change, 1,500 miles for me, or a minimum of twice a year. (Spring) and (Late Summer) all depending on driving styles, track events and Dyno Pulls are hard on them.

Rick

gasman
April 28th, 2004, 10:11 AM
John, on your new thread, you indicate your speedo is reading 10 mph lower than actual. You are indicating 107 in fourth gear at 3800 rpm. Which, I guess means your were actually running 117. My car indicates 70 mph at 3100 rpm. Do you know anything about the rear end gear in your car? If you are able to run these speeds, I wouldn't be too concerned about horse power. I don't know about your car, but eighty in my car feels like its getting close to out of control.

Steve Foushee

jhaynie
April 28th, 2004, 11:24 PM
The 107 was the dyno speed, not my speedometer. It read 97 accordingly. I think it was around 3800 rpm, but may have been wrong in all the excitement. I kind of imagine the straps letting loose and me shooting across the Gordon Highway at 100MPH. Kind of distracting.

Oh, and after some timing adjustments we are up to 217HP. Just some more to go.

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

gasman
April 29th, 2004, 01:49 AM
John, Very funny! I have to admit I was thinking what if that happened...Do they do this in an enclosed building. Man that must have been loud! I guess I'll have to find out where my motor stacks up.

Steve Foushee

clinck
May 1st, 2004, 09:23 AM
John,

Very funny comment about the straps letting loose and shooting accross the highway. I really visualized that and chuckled a whole bunch.
Listen, I have dynoed a number of my cars and never came close to rated horsepower. Remember you're lookin at rear wheel horses here and that's a world away from the fly wheel. I would suggest that if you are dyno'd at 230 you are puulin about 280 to 300 at the fly wheel and that's where most motor builders rate their power...at the fly wheel.
Anyway...too much horsepower leads to too much police.

That's my opinion and I'm stickin to it!

Sundown

JerryBP
May 2nd, 2004, 10:29 PM
HorsePower isn't what attracts the Police it's that Right Foot that just won't stop pushing.

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550-2 5spd Coal Black
by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio