PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheels Adjustment

patrija
April 28th, 2004, 07:26 AM
I had my car aligned today and the steering wheel is about 5 degrees turned right when car is going straight. I think this is as simple as popping the center cap and adjusting, but have never done it. Any instructions would be great, thanks!

clayfoushee
April 28th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Yes, you should be able to pop the center cap, remove the nut, and unless it's horribly stuck, easily remove the wheel and remount it on center. I did it on mine without any trouble.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

dmiller
April 28th, 2004, 08:23 AM
another way, disconnect the universal jount under the hood, and then reassemble with the wheel in the correct position.

doug

clayfoushee
April 28th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Doug's also right. But, if the wheel comes off easily, that's the simple way.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

GeorgiaSnake
April 28th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Clay and Doug are right unless you have done the self cancel turn signal modification. You will need to disconnect the universal to position the shaft.

Glad Jeff and Harris got you going "straight".

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

patrija
April 28th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Thanks all! Sounds like a project for tomorrow night. Lots of stuff to do before homecoming! :)

gasman
April 28th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Agreed, lots of stuff to do before homecoming...but no one will notice wheel alignment. Rick and Brent are going to show us all up if we don't polish these bad boys to the max and then some!

Steve Foushee

patrija
April 28th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Polish - what's that? I throw buckets of soapy water over the whole car, hose it down, and the let it air dry :D

Brent
April 28th, 2004, 11:52 PM
Guys I have been to homecoming before. I am not the one you need to worry about.There are ALOT of nice cars and alot of guys that never use a computer. You will see what I mean when you get there.

Brent

eliminator
April 29th, 2004, 01:30 AM
I agree with Brent, with 50 cars there you will see some exceptional Unique Cars. There will be alot of folks there with very nice cars that have never been mentioned on this Forum. Everyone will be wanting to have their car in top notch shape, just the way it is.

Rick

K.Wilson
April 29th, 2004, 01:53 AM
patrija,
If the alignment was done by a good shop with all four wheel alignment capability, the off center steering wheel may indicate another problem.
You may want to have someone drive in front of you as you are driving down a straight road and have them look back at you to see if the rear wheels are tracking in the same track as the front wheels. In other words, does the rear of the car look like it is sticking out further to one side of the car or the other when driving straight down the road.
If the toe-in was set correctly but the rear axle is not square with the frame the steering wheel will be turned when the car is going straight.
I believe it is worth a look.
Keith

eliminator
April 29th, 2004, 09:47 PM
It's common to have steering wheels off center when alignment is done. It's a result of the tie rod adjustments on the front end. Most alignment people will have you drive in a straight line and check your steering wheel placement and make the adjustment to get it centered while you are there. I am sure that's all that happened during patrija alignment.
This can also be corrected as others have outlined once away from the alignment shop. Most alignment shops use a device to keep the steering wheel centered during alignment but it's not fool proof.

Rick

K.Wilson
April 30th, 2004, 12:39 AM
eliminator
Everything you said is true, however, I still think it is worth a short drive and a look to see if it is "dog tracking".
Keith

Keith

patrija
April 30th, 2004, 03:10 AM
Thanks all - I appreciate the advice. I'll probably end up doing both - fixing the wheel to 0 degreed and also have someone follow to check Keith's suggestion.

Prepping the car ... more questions to come I am sure!