PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Head Question

Russ Dickey
April 30th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Are there any aftermarket heads that won't work with my existing 351W headers? I've got the iron Ford GT40 heads on it now, and am contemplating switching to a better set of aftermarket aluminum versions.

I have heard that if I switched to some of the older Trick Flow heads, they wouldn't work with my current headers. I just want to know if there are any other heads that I should watch out for (I really don't want to go to the expense of switching or fabricating headers).

Thanks as always.

Russ

Unique 289FIA - Viking Blue

dmiller
April 30th, 2004, 06:28 AM
i'm using edelbrock victor junior on 351W , and the Weavers didn't know what i was using when they built the headers, so i'd guess these will work.

doug

GeorgiaSnake
April 30th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Ported Edelbrock Performer RPM heads here. I think the header flange Unique uses for the header build up will fit most after market heads except the ones with offset ports. I did take a grinder to mine to better match the exhaust ports. Call Unique :D

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Tony Radford
April 30th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Russ, as long as the heads have standard exhaust port locations, you won't have a problem. I'm running the TFS Twisted Wedge heads on my Windsor. As far as TFS goes, you can't use the "R" heads as (like Randy said), the port dimensions are different to accommodate more flow. Most of the aftermarket head manufacturers make a racing head with non-standard port geometry, but in general, the ports are standard. Like Randy mentioned, if the heads on your engine have been ported for improved flow, you will need to "transition" the header flange port openings to reduce the obstruction.

427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

eliminator
April 30th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Like suggested, call Maurice as he builds the headers for all Unique Cars. One phone call and you have the correct info on waht you can and cannot do.

Rick

Russ Dickey
May 2nd, 2004, 12:18 AM
quote:Originally posted by eliminator

Like suggested, call Maurice as he builds the headers for all Unique Cars. One phone call and you have the correct info on waht you can and cannot do.

Rick

Yeah, I know. I just hate bugging the Weavers unless it's something really urgent, because they've got their hands full. I'd rather bug you guys first, since we all have enough time on our hands to regularly browse this forum......

Thanks for all the advice.

Russ

Unique 289FIA - Viking Blue

eliminator
May 2nd, 2004, 09:34 PM
I agree, but there are some questions that we can speculate on and never we able to answer correctly. They have done it all. Besides Maurice won't bite!!

Rick