PDA

View Full Version : System Charging

homer
May 1st, 2004, 03:34 AM
I cannot tell if my battery is charging. I have checked the voltage coming off the alternator with a volt meter (a little or 12V at any rpm with a similar reading at the battery). I have disconnected the postive terminal through the battery disconnect switch while the engine is running to see if the alt is generating juice to run the engine, and the engine runs. With the engine running when I load the system (all accessories on) the ammeter swings into positive territory. With the engine off, the ammeter swings to positive territory as well. While simply running the fans the ammeter hovers around zero. I managed to burn through one voltage regulator by inadvertently shorting a wire and replaced it with a new one from unique. Car drive fine but the other day after running for a while it was barely able to turn over the starter.

Brent
May 1st, 2004, 03:43 AM
Was the "tough start" after you rolled the timing up? You mentioned your total timing on the other thread, what is your initial timing (at idle) when the total is at 38 deg? If the initial is too high the fuel will try to ignite as the piston is on its way up and cause resistence to the starter.

Do you have a starter switch or a button? If you have a button you can start the motor spinning and then turn the ignition on to overcome this.

Brent

homer
May 1st, 2004, 04:21 AM
timing at idle (900-1000 rpms) is approx 18 deg -- to adjust the timing I followed SA instructions to power time by revving the engine to the point where the pointer stops moving and turn the distributor until it read approximatley 36-38 deg full advance. I have a standard starter switch with a key. The slow start was the starter struggling to turn the engine over -- the last time this happened the voltage meter had toasted and need to be replaced. If the ammeter is telling the truth then my system may not be charging -- I think the wires may need to be switched on the back of the meter give the fact that it swings positve when the engine is off and I turn on lights etc.