PDA

View Full Version : Alternator / Electrical help

homer
May 8th, 2004, 04:15 AM
I am only getting 12v at the battery and the system does not seem to be charging -- last time this happened I replaced the voltage regulator and the problem was solved -- not so lucky this time -- I changed the voltage regulator and no improvement -- I know the alternaor is working because the car runs when the battery is disconnected -- I am using the unique 7078 mini regulator and believe I have wired it correctly -- the engine block is grounded to the frame -- any ideas of what the issue could be?

Brent
May 8th, 2004, 05:18 AM
If you rev the motor does the voltage then increase? If I check my voltage at idle it is 12V as soon as I touch the throttle it charges fine.

Brent

homer
May 8th, 2004, 05:32 AM
nothing when I rev the engine stays at 12V

Brent
May 8th, 2004, 06:29 AM
I would remove the alternator and take it to the parts house to be tested. It takes 5 minutes and it is free.

Brent

homer
May 9th, 2004, 01:49 AM
ran another test to check voltage directly off the alternator and the voltmeter held steady at 12V regardless of engine rpm. Is it correct to tape off the orange wire coming of the voltage regulator (transpo 7078)letting it go unused? The alternator is a brand new unit from summitt as of six months or so ago and did at one point put out 13-14 volts while the engine was running. Unfortunatly I do not have a decent parts place near by to run an alternator test. Seems very odd that the car will continue to run when I throw the battery disconnect switch to the off position that disconnects the positive lead to the battery - the lights do dim a bit though.

homer
May 11th, 2004, 11:06 AM
Replaced the alternator and problem solved -- very frustrating given the dead alternator was relatively new in terms of use, not time so the warrantee is void.......

clayfoushee
May 11th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Just because a part is relatively new doesn't mean it's good. It's amazing how many failures occur with brand new parts.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

jhaynie
May 11th, 2004, 09:19 PM
If was a chrome plated alternator, expect to get about a thousand miles out of most of them. The chrome holds in heat, so I was told, and causes premature failure. I replaced mine with a powdercoated unit.

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

homer
May 12th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Actually it was a black powder coated 65amp summit by wagner (sp?)

Jim Harding
May 12th, 2004, 09:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by homer

Actually it was a black powder coated 65amp summit by wagner (sp?)

Hmmmm ... Wagner? Arn't thoes people the ones who make power paint brushes/rollers/sprayers? No wonder it failed.... what do they know about cars? :D:D:D:D:D

Seriously Homer, glad your issues are behind you now and you can get back on the road.

Jim Harding
La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004
http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/albums/album26/1aLeftside.thumb.jpg