PDA

View Full Version : Considering a transmission change

clinck
May 11th, 2004, 09:29 AM
I'm considering droping my top loader and going to a 5 spped tranny for the obvious reasons. I know the purists have a cow taking a 1965 top loader and subbing a tremec TKO 500.
I took a 200 mile trip last weekend withe the lovely Carolyn and although she never noticed...I was watch the tach too much. Cruising at 65 on back roads in Arizona is way fun but taching 3200 RPM's is not way cool for my equipment. Other guys were passing me at 70 and taching a lot less.
Has anyone else done a change out and what should I be prepared for besides a $2500.00 bill/

Regards,

Sundown

pgermond
May 11th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Yeah Clink,

When you get ready to dump your toploader give me a holler with specs and price :D I'm serious [:P]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

casaleenie
May 11th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Curious to see what the suggestions are on this thread...
At 70mph I'm turning around 2900 rpms....

AL

jhaynie
May 11th, 2004, 09:22 PM
I turn about 1800RPM at 70 in 5th gear. Dont you have a tremec 5 speed in your car Al?

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

pgermond
May 11th, 2004, 10:39 PM
3,000 at 65-70 (jumps to 100+ with a tap on the pedal [^] )

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

clinck
May 11th, 2004, 11:04 PM
Phil,

The top Loader is not for sale afer it comes out of the car. I will keep the trans because it's an original piece of the car and will go [u]with</u> the car when I sell her [someday].
Driving distances are greater out here in the west and I need some relief from the high RPM's. It's no big deal to drive for 2-3 hours at 70 miles an hour on back roads in Arizona. I need to be in the 2000 RPM range for that. Otherwise I will always be the last guy in the pack and averqage about 40 miles an hour

Sundown

pgermond
May 11th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Sundown,

Damn! I thought I was going to pick-up a good cheap tranny :D By the way, last time I checked California was still out west :D:D

Seriously, running a BB at 3,000 ain't that big of a deal. I guess where we differ is, I can't sit in a car for more than an hour to an hour and a half with out having to stretch. At 6'3" (and shrinking :( ) the only reason I'll be the last in the pack is 'cause I need a breather, not the car.

Good luck - hope it works out for you.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Russ Dickey
May 12th, 2004, 01:24 AM
My FIA has the 3550 5-speed, and I also turn around 1800rpm @ 70mph. There is truly no need for 5th gear until I'm up around that speed on the highway. At 55mph, the rpms are so low in 5th gear that the engine just bogs out and tears up the clutch. I have 3.31 gears and 275-60R-15 rear tires.

Russ

Unique 289FIA - Viking Blue

Mike Geddes
May 12th, 2004, 01:29 AM
Hey Sundown.....
Get yourself an AOD.....turns 1800 RPM at 70 MPH.
B&M do a good one for about $1300.
Don't sweat it about the 'Purist's' (Ha Ha.)
Mike

Mike Geddes

casaleenie
May 12th, 2004, 07:32 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=34202&item=7901656451&rd=1

I found this over on the Club Cobra website.

I'd love to buy this but my wife says I'll have to surrender my testicles...

Might be of interest...

Darn thing is in Cleveland right down the street... So to speak....
I have to leave for Nevada tomorrow morning or I'd own this sucker...

AL

casaleenie
May 12th, 2004, 07:35 AM
John,

Nope... got the 4 speed toploader...

I'd just love a gear to cruise down the highway in...

AL

gasman
May 12th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Hey Sundown, Sounds to me like you might be happier with one of the new T-Birds. They even have air conditioning and a radio. :D

Steve Foushee

casaleenie
May 12th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Please make this as painless as possible...

What kind of money and heartache is involved in making a change from the toploader to 3550 five speed...

Be gentle

AL

gasman
May 12th, 2004, 11:19 AM
More heartache than money.

Steve Foushee

PS: was that gentle enough?

clayfoushee
May 12th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Sorry, but I disagree. Your Cobra should be set up exactly the way YOU want it. It's not like you're "debasing" an original or anything. It's a personal choice only you can make. Even CS himself put an automatic in one of his personal cars.

If you're doing a lot of highway cruising and you like the Tremec 5-speed, you should do it. Probably half of the guys in our CACC are running Tremec 5 speeds in SPF's FFR's, etc., and they swear by them. I've driven one, and it's a very nice transmission. Plus, you're running a small block, and there would be advantages for you.

I like my toploader, but I don't do a lot of highway cruising because I don't enjoy it. I like country roads and twisties, but that's my personal choice.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

pgermond
May 12th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Steve,

You're brutal [8D]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

Jim Harding
May 12th, 2004, 09:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by casaleenie

Please make this as painless as possible...

What kind of money and heartache is involved in making a change from the toploader to 3550 five speed...

Be gentle

AL

Transmission and matching bell housing. Then, you can bet the shifter will have come out of the tunnel in another location, so that means some carpet and glass work to cover the old hole. Than maybe a better shifter unit...... and maybe a different rear end gear if your present one is geared too low..... but hey, it's only money.... and a weekends worth of sweat! About a gentle as I can get on a Thursday morning Al[:P]

Jim Harding
La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004
http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/albums/album26/1aLeftside.thumb.jpg

gasman
May 12th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Phil, yes, I know...I was abused as a child by my older brother. ;)

Steve Foushee

pgermond
May 12th, 2004, 11:28 PM
:D:D:D:D

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

clinck
May 13th, 2004, 09:37 AM
One of th nice things about the Unique forum is that we treat each other with respect and civility. If I wanted a T-Bird instead of a Cobra I would certainly have one.
Case in Point is I own a Unique Cobra. Bother Clay is right and Brother Steve....well, he needs an additude adjustment.

Sundown

pgermond
May 13th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Sundown,

He'll most likely get one this weekend in Alabama :D Sorry I'm not more help (wish I could be)

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

gasman
May 16th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Attitude dude...;)

Steve Foushee

chill [8D]

clayfoushee
May 17th, 2004, 02:14 AM
Chris,

Don't know if the attitude adjustment in Gadsden worked....he's a tough case, but next time you get a chance, ask him how about the louvers installed on his car or about his front nose cones;)

He was abused as a child, but it was largely self-inflicted.....:D

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Brent
May 17th, 2004, 02:34 AM
Hey Clay,

As the "old overweight bald guy" I need to tell you to be nice :D

Clink,

If you want a 5 or 6 speed go for it.[^] It is your money and if you want one do it. If I had asked about Webers I would have been told I was stupid. :(

Brent

clayfoushee
May 17th, 2004, 02:43 AM
:D

For those that weren't around to understand what Brent was referring to, we all had our own mental images of what the people looked like that we've been talking to for months on line. Bitten (Kelly) mentioned at dinner that his image of Brent of was of a late middle-age, overweight, bald guy.

Then, Brent shows up looking more like an NFL quarterback...... and with that incredible car that everybody was drooling over.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

eliminator
May 17th, 2004, 03:01 AM
Oh Sh$#, his head is swelling for sure.
When I was attempting to introduce Brent to Gasman Thur. night, he though Brent was my son!
He!! I am not that old.
Don't know about Gasman!!!!

Rick

Brent
May 17th, 2004, 03:12 AM
You never told me the "son" story.

When I walked up to bitten on Thursday night I told him he had a nice car but if he had some descent aluminum polish it could look a whole lot better. I thought he was going to tell me to go to he!!. I quickly told him who I was. I did not want to start homecoming with a black eye.

Brent

gasman
May 17th, 2004, 05:07 AM
Man this is a rough crowd! Hey Sundown, if I hurt your feelings, I'd like to offer you my public apology. As you can see, you have to have pretty thick skin to run with these gashole wannabe's.

Clay, I believe you were the one recommending this flawless car to me...I didn't build it, I just drive it. Incidently, it was great to see you again. Lets not let so many years go by before the next time. We are both too old.

Rick, I guess you did have a pretty good belly laugh me thinking Brent could possibly be your son. For those of you that didn't meet Brent....lets just say you don't want to mess with him. His avatar should be Hulk Hogan.

Steve Foushee

clayfoushee
May 17th, 2004, 05:54 AM
Steve,

You're right on all counts!!!!!

I guess I didn't see enough pictures or look at them closely enough....ooops[B)] before I recommended the car to you. But, in many ways, the process you're going through to get it sorted out will save you a lot of money and headache and result in a truly flawless car:D

Clay

Annapolis, MD

gasman
May 17th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Sundown, Make sure to read the posting Rick made on your original thread "Ruby's first 200 mile cruise". He's trying to offer a helping hand. Rick know's his stuff.

Steve Foushee

brfutbrian
May 17th, 2004, 10:28 AM
if you dont mind losing some acceleration out of the hole, change the ratio in the rear to a higher number. its probably only a third of what a a trani change will cost. later, brian.

casaleenie
May 20th, 2004, 01:44 AM
quote:Originally posted by clinck

One of th nice things about the Unique forum is that we treat each other with respect and civility. If I wanted a T-Bird instead of a Cobra I would certainly have one.
Case in Point is I own a Unique Cobra. Bother Clay is right and Brother Steve....well, he needs an additude adjustment.

Sundown

Clinck,

When you get busted on a spelling mistake just hit the edit button and make the correction... That way no one will know what Steve is talking about.:D(case in point---additude)

AL

gasman
May 20th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Al, Sundown and I are buds, I'm real sorry I said anything about that. Hope he forgives me.

Steve Foushee