PDA

View Full Version : Starter Solenoid Wiring

Gerry
May 16th, 2004, 11:06 AM
According to the Assembly Manual, the heavy red MSD power wire and the red/white #27 wire are both supposed to go to the (+) on the starter solenoid. The solenoid has two smaller posts identified as "I" and "S", and two large posts, neither or which are identified. I am assuming that I run the battery cable to one of the large posts and attach the MSD power wire and #27 wire to the other. Is this correct, and does it make any difference which post?

On a related issue I need to attach a fuseable link to the #27 wire. Is the fuseable link simply crimped onto the wire?

Thanks,
Gerry

pgermond
May 16th, 2004, 12:47 PM
Gerry,

These are my notes from when I wired my car. I am providing this with a caveat - Check with Alan to be certain this is accurate for your application!

MSD, Distributor, Coil, Voltage Regulator, Starter Solenoid, and Starter Wiring

MSD wiring -
1) Thin red wire to ignition switch in place of white wire (splice red to white)
2) Heavy black to ground
3)Tachometer wire (#34 - gray) to spade connection on right side of MSD box (pull back through harness)
4) Heavy red wire to starter solenoid – same side as battery from trunk
5) White trigger wire not used
6) Only wire used in harness is alternator wire (#39 to red) to voltage regulator BAT terminal
7) Orange & black to coil (orange +, black -)
8) Purple – green plug extension to adapter on distributor
9) Connect fusible link (#27 – red/white) to starter solenoid - same side as battery from trunk (yes, crimp it on)
10) Yellow (#22) not used
11) Connect #23 (purple) to “S” connection on starter solenoid
12) Connect cable from starter to starter solenoid – opposite side as battery

Remember - Call Alan ;)

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Gerry
May 16th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Thanks Phil,

I'll confirm with Alan.

Gerry

pgermond
May 22nd, 2004, 12:56 PM
Gerry,

Haven't heard of your progress lately - how's coming along? Inquiring minds want to know.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)