PDA

View Full Version : fourth question

dmiller
May 20th, 2004, 07:00 AM
at one time, the brake lights worked, but now don't.

i shorted across the brake pressure switch and they didn't come on. i'm thinking that since shorting the pressure switch didn't cause a brake light, it's wiring, fuse or bulb. not likely bulb since both are failed.

comments?

thanks

clayfoushee
May 20th, 2004, 07:03 AM
It's probably the switch at the junction of your brake lines under the hood. We had several cars at the Homecoming without brake lights, and mine has already failed once. Wasn't that designed by Lucas?

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

dmiller
May 20th, 2004, 07:14 AM
but "shorting" the switch should have caused the lights to work, but they didn't. by shorting, i took a jumper and connected both terminals of the wiring leading to the pressure switch. tomorrow, i'll check continuity across that pressure switch while someone presses the brake pedal.

lucas, the prince of darkness?

thanks.

Brent
May 20th, 2004, 07:40 AM
If you have the bulbs that came with the kit throw them away and replace them. If they have not already failed, they will.

Brent

dmiller
May 20th, 2004, 08:04 AM
i used an ohm meter, the switch is open with no brake pressure, closed with pressure, just like one would expect. so bulbs, wiring, or fuse.

hope its bulbs, the fuse box location is one of those things " i wish i knew then what i know now"

doug

Poorboy
May 20th, 2004, 08:04 AM
First thing I would do is take a test light and see if you have power to the pressure switch. If you do it's likely the bulbs, if not probley the fuse.

Poorboy

pgermond
May 20th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Check the leads at the switch for battery and ground (with the ignition on). If you do, check the bulbs, and then the brake switch. If you don't check the fuse.

If it's the brake switch - here are some part numbers that may be useful:
Ford #100810B
Wagner #403936 (available from NAPA)

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

clayfoushee
May 20th, 2004, 08:29 AM
.....sorry Doug, missed the "shorted across switch" in my haste. I hope it's bulbs.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

dmiller
May 20th, 2004, 08:29 AM
fuse was gone,

poorboy, neat method of proving where to look.

brfutbrian
May 20th, 2004, 09:18 AM
poorboy beat me to it. always check for power to the switch first. brian

gasman
May 20th, 2004, 09:45 AM
If Brent thinks it is the bulbs, I'd bet big money it is.

Steve Foushee

clayfoushee
May 20th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Read up Steve, it was the fuse.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Brent
May 20th, 2004, 10:26 AM
I am glad it was an easy fix. If the bulbs are the original they will puke. Replace them before they put you in a bad situation.

Brent

pgermond
May 20th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Looks like the start of a sibling squabble [}:)];)

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

clayfoushee
May 20th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Sorry Phil.....my brother and I are bonded, especially after Gadsden. I was just trying to help him with the continuing education, and also continue my own.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

pgermond
May 20th, 2004, 11:02 AM
No matter how the days goes, you guys always put a smile on my :)

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

gasman
May 20th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Whoops, posted after Brent without reading the later threads. Glad it worked out so easily. But if Brent says replace the bulbs and you haven't,...I would. You can't believe how close I came to rear ending a Cobra with non working brake lights this past weekend.

Steve Foushee

clayfoushee
May 20th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Hey thanks Phil,....we can't help it if we're both smart-asses. It's probably genetic.

Funny....but someone asked me privately at the Homecoming if my brother and I did not get along. I got a huge laugh out of that, but in retrospect, I can understand how our intended humor often does not come across via these posts. There's no substitute for "face-to-face" to really understand someone. As much as we rely on the internet and e-mail for everthing, it's hard to sometimes remember that you don't get all the normal cues that you get in natural human interaction.

Wow....was that deep or what?:D

Clay

Annapolis, MD

pgermond
May 20th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Clay,
Absolutely :D[8D]:D

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

clayfoushee
May 20th, 2004, 11:54 AM
:DYeah, and I didn't realize that Bittentoo and Brent (now Show Dog) were actually nice guys until I interacted with them face-to-face (OK....here's the look on my face as I just typed that---->none of the previous is actually true[:o)]).

Uh-Oh....shouldn't have done that....gotta control that "inner smart-ass."[8D]

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Brent
May 20th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Getting together with you guys once a year is not enough. I miss everyone already.

Except for you Clay. Once a year is all I can stand.[xx(]

"Toushee Foushee" :D:D

Brent

Kelly, I think he has plaque envy :D:D:D

clayfoushee
May 20th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Oh no Brent.....I am not worthy[B)] Ouch.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

eliminator
May 23rd, 2004, 05:15 AM
Had to change my pressure switch, Kelly kept complaining of no brake lights on the cruise (and the racing fuel watering his eye's). If I lay into the peddle they will come on, I dont use alot of brake anyway. But to make folks happy and to save my a$$ I am changing switches.

Rick

ralphscott
May 23rd, 2004, 07:51 AM
Rick that is what Leroy told me also. He installed an electrical brake switch to solve the problem. I thought it was perhaps since my bias was not adjusted properly I was not getting enough pressure on the front brake switch.

Ralph

ralphscott
May 23rd, 2004, 10:03 AM
Rick I went out and checked and lo and behold I had Gayle step on the brake and no brake lights I got in and "mashed-on-it" and I got brake lights with about a half second delay. So I will try moving the bias adjustment on the brake to get more front brake pressure. I had noticed when I got back from Cobrafest and finally had time to clean Lil Cobra (first time in months)I had little brake dust on the front wheels. So I will give that a try first, Thank goodness I have a quick disconnect steering wheel.

Ralph

bittentoo
May 23rd, 2004, 09:53 PM
Well put Brent:D And I refer to it as "Orange Envy"[8D]

Clay, how dare you calling me a nice guy[}:)] I was on good behavior for the wife[}:)][}:)]

Speaking of plaques, took The Orange One to a benefit car show Sunday and came home with 1st place, Best Of Show[^]

eliminator
May 23rd, 2004, 10:28 PM
Kelly,

Glad to see your "cleaning up" on the car show awards in South Texas. Your going to have to get a Big Tropy Case.

Rick

ralphscott
May 24th, 2004, 12:11 AM
Rick, sounds like Kelly is not the only guy that will ned a bigger trophy case. You will need one as well.

Way to go Kelly That orange is way too cool!

Ralph

Brent
May 24th, 2004, 02:17 AM
Rick won the street rod show in Louisville last year in his class and placed in the top 10 overall. That said alot because the street rod guys usually only pick one of their own. He also won best 427 replica at the SAAC 28 in Nashville last year.

************************SHOW DOG******************************

" Beware what you ask for you just might get it "

Brent