PDA

View Full Version : Shelby American #73

ralphscott
May 24th, 2004, 05:34 AM
Since I am new to the forum I may not be doing the proper thing here but please let me know if I am mis-stepping as I have a hard time sometimes with the Emily Post stuff.

Anyway, I got my copy in the mail of Shelby American #73. While skimming it looking for history stuff I came across this little ditty on page 3 called "Intangible Called History" I the letter response the editor makes this statement, refering to a letter from a guy who built what looks like a very nice Daytona:
"This appears to be a difficult lesson for some people to learn, and you are certainly not the first one who has built a Cobra or Shelby on their own. No matter how good it looks, you will experience the hollow feeling that although your car was materially complete and technically correct, it still lacked 'something.' That something is history...."etc, etc. (page 3 for those who still subscribe)

Do you guys wake-up in the middle of the night with that "hollow feeling"??

He just don't get it....

Ralph

Brent
May 24th, 2004, 05:44 AM
I can see his point, however, there are two levels of ownership and relationship to an automobile. Financial and personal. He has never and probably will never get the oppertunity to have "personal" ownership of an automobile. A level of ownership and pride one can only have if they built the car and the car bears their personality. (Bittentoo)
You are right, he does not and never will GET IT.

Brent
Brent

gasman
May 24th, 2004, 05:54 AM
No hollow feeling here. The price paid for "history" is something I could never afford to own. And if I could, I'm not sure I would want to spend the money that way. I'm very happy owning a replica. Incidently, the DMV inspected my car today and said it was without question one of the nicest cars he had ever inspected. This guy had worked on a pit crew with Bill Elliot

Steve Foushee

eliminator
May 24th, 2004, 05:59 AM
Ralph, will have to read that little article. I am sorry I never have had that "Hollow Feeling". I think he is suffering from the fact that there exists today several cars that look, drive, and perform Better Than the Original. So the only way to offset that is to get hung up on the Original Bull Sh@#[B)]. There are some folks no matter what that dont want anyone having anything like they have. The problem is, we the Replica Crowd get the same if not more OOOhhhs and Ahhas than they get and they have a hard time dealing with that:D. Now I am sure this is not the feeling of all the original guys but for sure some. Driving a Cobra is exciteing[8D], can the excitement be better in an original than it can be in a replica. Don't think so, with modern technology the same engines are better today than 1963-1968, that's a fact[^]. Also we can insulate the hot little Devil's better, and on and on. So what's their point:(.

Rick

excelguru
May 24th, 2004, 06:01 AM
I know it can be a touchy subject with some and would probably start a flame war if it were posted over on the CC forum or othe such site. Don't worry about mis-stepping with this group...

I have never regretted my decision to get this particular car and have never experience the "hollow feeling" as he put it.

Sure, a CSX3000-series car will have a history because it's been here since 1960-something. But those run well beyond the 6-digit mark. A brand-new CSX will only be a few years old at best. Is that called "history"? Not to me. Would I buy a brand-new Mustang for its history? No. If I wanted a piece of Mustang history, I would buy a 1960-something.

Keith :)
Unique Motorcars (http://www.uniquecobrareplicas.com)
Southern Automotive (http://www.southernautomotiveengines.com)
Bruce Bunn (the painter) (http://www.jodecoautobody.com)

My Photo Album (http://members5.clubphoto.com/keith355593/owner-429c-1.phtml)

jhaynie
May 24th, 2004, 06:12 AM
I would have a very hollow feeling if I bought an original Daytona Coupe for $3,000,000 plus. [:o)]

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

gasman
May 24th, 2004, 06:20 AM
Ah, come on John...don't you need a project to work on.

Steve Foushee

clayfoushee
May 24th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Way to go Ralph....we're so happy to have you here now! Glad we connected you in Gadsden.

Ditto to the above.....no hollow feeling here. The CSX cars built today are nothing more than replicas, and in many ways, our cars are superior to those. The only originals were built in the 60's.

I can only take very, very mild exception to Brent's observation that you can only have that "personal relationship" if you built it yourself. While I am certainly in awe of those that did just that and did build far nicer cars in terms of attention to detail than mine, I think my personal relationship with my car is a very strong one. I can't imagine feeling any stronger about it, but if I really had built it, perhaps I would.

The Weavers built my car in '98 as a turn-key (spec-car), and Alan painted it (something that he doesn't do anymore). While I'm sure they could have poured the same level of amazing detail into it that I saw in Gadsden, I'm just honored that THEY did it, and set it up so well. Thus, I am a proud member of the Unique family as the proud owner of a "Weaver-car." It is so trouble-free and offers me endless enjoyment. My duty is to take care of it and continue to make it better!!!!

I would respectfully suggest that some of you guys with the really amazing cars should get in there and mix it up in the CC forum. I continue to be annoyed with the lack of respect Uniques get there. They certainly deserve better!!!!!

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

brfutbrian
May 24th, 2004, 09:17 AM
hey, this is america, everybody has the right to their opinion. no matter how stupid it is. ralph, youre just reading the wrong magazine. send it back and cancel your subscription, along with a nasty letter. brian.

brfutbrian
May 24th, 2004, 09:45 AM
clay, on cc i dont think its a lack of respect. i dont think i have ever seen a bad word about uniques. and always good words for the weavers. its more a lack of attention. and over there, that can be a good thing. ive lurked there for the last four years, and never made a post and probably never will. got a perfectly good forum with no egos (and thats the best part) here. later, brian

gasman
May 24th, 2004, 10:24 AM
You know, the more I think about that article, the more I think we need to respond to that editor as a group. Brian Henderson, you are right, he has a right to his opinion regardless of how well thought out it was. But, we have a right to ours! I vote for Nolastyankee to write the letter. How about it Brian, you have the passion.

Steve Foushee

jhaynie
May 24th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Go NLY, GO NLY. We need a cause.

JOHn

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

brfutbrian
May 24th, 2004, 10:39 AM
just cancel your subscription, i came across a quote many years ago and i live by it, "never argue with a fool, people might not be able to tell the difference". brian.

gasman
May 24th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Very wise words Brian.

Steve Foushee

clayfoushee
May 24th, 2004, 12:10 PM
Brian,

I have run across bad-mouthing on CC of Unique. They are not regarded as the equal of ERA, SPF, etc. And, of course, Kirkham is the latest god, and heir to the throne of Shelby.

It usually comes from the "thought leaders" (moderators) of the various forums. My suspicion is that it is largely the result of the Weaver's decision not to advertise or participate there. I respect that, but I think the owners here could be a little more vocal.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

clinck
May 24th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Wow.. I love reading the posts that you guys conceive in your tiny brains....

Listen..these are all mute points. When your driving your Cobra down a country road and the pipes and the wind suround your windscreen into a swirling cacaphony of endless and timeless rumble of the sweetest sound this side of God's own creation...do you stop to ask yourself if it's a real original. No! you blister yourself with a grin that lasts for the whole week your not behind the wheel.
Look it..we all know why we like our cars. Nothing can diminish the joy of driving a well sorted out cobra... no matter when it was built.

Let those that have their jealousies live with them. We are a family of guys that love our cars and love each other for the right reasons. We are Unique owners. We are proud of the [u]Family </u>that have dedicated their lives to providing these well crafted cars for us. We will stand for the brand and for each other... come Hell or High Water. What else counts in the end....
There are some brighter guys on this family forum than I. I am previleged to be a member of the family. I am honored to call you all friends. I am honored to own a Unique. Certainly one of the finest Cobra's built today.

That's my story and I'm stickin to it!!

Sundown

Tony Radford
May 24th, 2004, 06:55 PM
"We are a family of guys that love our cars and love each other for the right reasons. We are Unique owners. We are proud of the Family that have dedicated their lives to providing these well crafted cars for us. We will stand for the brand and for each other... come Hell or High Water."

Clinck,

Well said!

Manly hugs,

Tony

427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

ralphscott
May 24th, 2004, 09:06 PM
Great comments Guys, y'all made me think a little, I particularly like the one that Brian pitched "never argue with a fool", boy is that appropriate. I guess about a year ago I got in an e-mail "hissy fit" with the guy who does the Market column at AutoWeek, Keith Martin, I think his his name. He made some disparaging remark regarding "kit cars" in his column. It was the typical. I responded and Brian's truism fell into place. I doubt seriously if I had the money I would buy one either 'cause what in the heck would I do with it. I guess I would not drive it much worry about insurance, theft, oxidation, and all that other stuff. My wife's uncle had a great saying "boys when you got money you got problems" motto keep it simple.

I have had few feelings more fullfilling than driving my car out of my basement garage the first time, eventhough it was not finished yet. I think I kept saying It works! It works! You can check with Gayle on that one.

Steve congrats on the DMV just goes to show people do appreciate beauty. I think most of the OOOhs and AAhs we get are not because they know what the car is but because of the truly awesome beauty they have.

Thanks Guys!

Ralph

eliminator
May 24th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Ralph, got my SAAC Magazine yesterday and read the article, yes I am a SAAC Member. The only Hollow Feeling I can imagine is if all the Replica, Clone, Kit, owners stopped supporting SAAC in membership and attendance at events. Could the less than 1,000 original owners of the Cobra's, GT40's, and Daytona Coupes prop up the loss revenues, don't think so. Maybe Ole Shelby himself or Ford could subsidize the Organization. To me that would be the "Hollow Feeling".

Rick

clayfoushee
May 24th, 2004, 11:26 PM
Brian and Clinck....both wise posts. Shouldn't let myself get drawn into that kinda stuff, but sometimes just can't bite my lip and shut up. It really doesn't matter, and everytime I turn the key, everything else is irrelevant.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

ralphscott
May 25th, 2004, 01:53 AM
I like how you think Rick. I just wonder what the distribution of membership really is. Not that it will make a bit of difference. I may write a letter and ask. I ran into the same kind of stuff at SAAC #28 ?? Nashville TN last year. You know that reddish brown Cobra with the luggage rack and luggage on it, (it was in the building sitting next to what we think was the Cobra from Garrett Museum that was painted white.) Well the reddish Cobra was featured in Car and Driver I think maybe 18 months ago in an article talking aboutits trip across the country. Pretty neat stuff. Well I was talking to the group that travels with the owner one thing lead to another price quality etc. and I really said it. "You know these cars would not be commanding the $$ they command in the marketplace if it was not for the replicar business bringing so much attention to the Cobra." That is when the talking stopped!! When will I ever learn to get better manners!!

Smiles to you all!!

Ralph

jhaynie
May 25th, 2004, 03:46 AM
Ralph, I think the price would still be there or at least close. Look at the prices of other old racecars whether Mustangs, Camaros, or Ferraris and others. None of them are replicated (in great numbers anyway) and they are all through the roof. Especially the ones with a history. I think that the fact that the street cars were so similar to the actual track cars drives there price up as well, not to mention the scarcity. People just love old cars, especially fast ones.

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

ralphscott
May 25th, 2004, 07:36 AM
John good point, can't deny that. I've got a Mach 1 in my basement, a '72. It is worth considerably more now than when I brought it. I still think however that we have had a role to play in keeping the car in the public eye that the vintage cars can't by virtue of the numbers out there and the fact that they are not driven as much as we drive our cars. I was really amazed that the Eleanor car sold at Barrett Jackson in 2003, I think, it went for close to 200K. It must have commanded that price due to the movie it was bulit for and how it was romantizied. Heck we will never know what kind of impact we have had but at least I had my say with them.

Thanks for "bring me back down to the earth" viewpoint John.

Ralph

casaleenie
May 25th, 2004, 09:22 AM
If I've said it once, I've said it fifty times.......

As a whole....Unique owners are the most content of all the replica owners....

Nothing but pure enjoyment and nothing to prove.... :)

AL