PDA

View Full Version : Car plans after homecoming

Brent
May 26th, 2004, 06:50 AM
OK, I think its time for a new thread.

What cool things did you see at homecoming and what changes are you making to your car based on what you saw and learned.[?] I was told over and over how much nicer the cars were and how the attention to detail had been raised to a new level.[:O] I think this site has alot to do with that fact. Everytime someone posts their pics and ideas we all benefit from it.;) Now is the time to discuss what we saw and what we learned. If you guys are like me I will forget 90% of it by the time winter rolls around. I took ALOT of pics when I was there but I know there were things that I missed.

Brent

brfutbrian
May 26th, 2004, 07:47 AM
brent , youre right we need a new thread. all the cars were great. i didnt even vote. they were all winners as far as im concerned, that goes for everyone there too. other than a couple of little tweaks that needed attention before homecoming (add some foam and self cancelling turn signals)i havent got any real plans other than enjoying my car. your car looked pretty maxed out already, i cant imagine what youve got planned. care to induldge? is it next year yet?? later, brian.

gasman
May 26th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Brent,

My learning curve is completely vertical since February. You and Rick have given me an incredible education albeit for free and for this...I thank you...as we say in Augusta...you da man!
As you know, I purchased the stainless steel remote fill cooling tank and took a boat load of pictures of your car and how this very clean installation was done. I've already taken the pcv valve off the car and I'm going to re-route the master cylinder lines to go over the foot box and down the firewall beside the bell housing (away from the headers). Rick gave me good advice before homecoming and it has paid off in big dividends. "Take a digital camera and take lots of pictures when you go to these events. They will come in handy later"...they have ;)

Steve Foushee

Brent
May 26th, 2004, 08:20 AM
I am changing my brake light switch to a micro switch on the pedal instead of that *&%&^%* pressure switch.

Making a mount and shroud for my puller fans instead of the pull through zip ties that will wear on the radiator fins.

Making a box around my master cylinders instead of just a plate below them to deflect the heat.

Brent

brfutbrian
May 26th, 2004, 09:52 AM
yea that brake lite pressure switch is real fickle,you either get a good one that cant be killed or its a piece of junk. been lucky with mine. getting the front brakes bled so the switch will even work seems just as fickle too. either its no trouble or nothing but trouble. ive done at least a thousand brake jobs and bled brakes hundreds of times and, by far, never had as much trouble as with my front brakes. the fan shroud should be quite a challenge. enjoy, later, brian.

gasman
May 26th, 2004, 09:58 AM
I'm also thinking about painting it vomit orange and putting webers on it. [}:)]

Steve Foushee
Is that okay with you biteme,..I mean bitten?

clayfoushee
May 26th, 2004, 10:10 AM
:D[:O]:D:D:D

OK, now we're getting back to form[8D].

Gasman, if you do that you should use a 3-stage paint instead of 2. 1) Base color, 2) clear coat, 3) blow torch to make it the right color of "Burnt Orange."

Hook 'em Horns.....Sorry just got back from the U. of Texas graduation ceremonies.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

excelguru
May 26th, 2004, 11:18 AM
My "planned" to-do list:

* get the clutch fixed (ETA: this Friday)
* add aluminum panels to engine bay
* add aluminum panels to trunk
* add a chrome "snorkel" to rear of intake manifold
* re-chrome or replace valve covers
* get that damned tach to work

My "realistic" to do list:

* get Caleb to eat green beans
* become a licensed master plumber (seriously)
* complete the emplimentation of proprietary product selection software
* become scapegoat for software budget (over by 50%)
* wash the car

Hmm...

Keith :)
Unique Motorcars (http://www.uniquecobrareplicas.com)
Southern Automotive (http://www.southernautomotiveengines.com)
Bruce Bunn (the painter) (http://www.jodecoautobody.com)

My Photo Album (http://members5.clubphoto.com/keith355593/owner-429c-1.phtml)

gasman
May 26th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Keith, Let me know if I can help you wash your car.

Steve Foushee

clayfoushee
May 26th, 2004, 11:44 AM
....maybe I can help Caleb learn to eat green beans......

Clay

Annapolis, MD

bittentoo
May 26th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Hey gasma'am, BITE THIS:D

What we really need is a gathering this fall in good ol' Texas!

I'd be glad to organize it!!!

clayfoushee
May 26th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Do it Kelly.....I'll bring the blow torch!

Brent, thanks for the attempt to steer this in a more interesting direction, than we have been going the last couple of days. In all honesty, I'm just going to drive and enjoy my car after I get the gas tank leak fixed without worrying about improvements. It's amazing to me as it is. I am going to bolt on one of those quick release steering wheel dealies.....great theft protection, which we have to worry about in our nation's capital.

But, before next Homecoming, I'm going to make sure my frame is waxed and my engine compartment more presentable than last time......:D

Clay

Annapolis, MD

ralphscott
May 26th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Brent, I think more than a few of us want the microswitch solution lets us know what you did when you do it. Additionally, Flaming river steering knuckle and shaft change, Rick's emergency brake set-up, sort out the carb and timing issues, phenolic spacer undercarb, adjust the doors, maybe put my turkey pan on. I am pleased with my last year project to deal with driving the Cobra in stop and go traffic. I was going to send pictures of my new sway bar and the new 2700 CFM Spal fan but have not figured out yet how to make the pictures small enough keep getting message file to large. Oh yeah add to list learn how to send pictures!! Talk later I'm off to FL for a couple of weeks

Ralph

eliminator
May 26th, 2004, 09:19 PM
My to do list is as follows;

Install AC peddles.
Remove the trunk and fix the seal around the top of the trunk area.
Find out why the R/Front brake calipher is not working at 100%.
Replace the brake light switch and or go to a micro switch.
Fix all the little paint chips and the passenger door that wacked the trailer wall during the accident to Gadsden:(.
Replace the Front Shocks and Springs.
Continue to wax the frame:).
The rest are "Top Secret" they will be revealed at Homecoming 2005:D:D.

Rick

Jim Harding
May 26th, 2004, 09:24 PM
I did away with the brake line pressure switch. My cheap and simple fix was a visit to Lowe's. They sell a replacement refrigerator door switch for a few bucks. Has about a half inch of threads on the button end that I used to attach to a 90 degree piece of scrap sheet metal. Put some elongated adjustment holes in it, mounted it on the top of the footbox, and placed/adjusted it against the brake pedal arm. No more problems! Can take a pix if anyone needs further explaination.

- Jim -

Jim Harding
La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004
http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/albums/album26/1aLeftside.thumb.jpg

pseim
May 26th, 2004, 10:02 PM
For those of us that couldn't make the homecoming, could we SEE some of those "details" pics?

Paul

clayfoushee
May 26th, 2004, 10:22 PM
Very clever solution Jim!

Paul, most of the best pictures have probably been posted here. Some of the details that blew us away in Gadsden are hard to capture in pics. The include "little things" like the use of aircraft-grade fasterners, beautifully dressed bell housings and toploader cases, meticulous location of brake/clutch lines, etc. They were the kind of things you only notice in person.

Do a search and go back to look at Show Dog's er uh, Brent's build. He provided a lot pictures of his car in various stages of assembly, and it's detailed to the max. Phil Germond did a good job of documenting his build as well.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

ralphscott
May 27th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Jim I'd love to see some pics, as Clay said very clever solution.

Ralph

Jim Harding
May 27th, 2004, 11:26 AM
I try to take a shot or two tomorrow before I head off to the office and post them afterwards.

Jim Harding
La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004

Jim Harding
May 27th, 2004, 10:25 PM
Below pictures show the refrigerator switch installed as a brake light switch. After viewing this, I see I didn't make elongated holes..[?].. must have positioned it right the first time! ;) I also see I made two mounting holes but only used one….[?]. Depending on how your pedal assembly is mounted, you may have to improvise the mounting. My pedals drop down from above through the foot box.

The switch has a long enough shank to allow some small adjustment fore and aft to position the switch to extinguish the brake lights when the pedal is at rest.

I recall going to some auto part stores and looking over their inventory for mechanical brake light switches, and found that all would require some mounting fabrication, and all were more expensive than the Lowe’s refrigerator switch. And as you can see, the mounting fabrication was not difficult either. The only difficult part is getting your head and arms inside the foot box to mount this thing! Not quite as hard is taking these pictures…..:D:D
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/Jim Harding/switch 005.jpghttp://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/Jim Harding/switch 006.jpg

Jim Harding
La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004

ralphscott
June 3rd, 2004, 06:03 AM
Jim, Really nice!! I imagine the pics were hard and the installation tougher. Thanks this helps a lot.

Ralph

ralphscott
June 15th, 2004, 06:53 PM
OK with Kellys help here is a picture of my swaybar and my spal fan

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/ralphscott/group 2.jpg

ralphscott
June 15th, 2004, 06:58 PM
By gosh it only took 3 hours of screwing around with it!Thank you Kelly for your help!!:D I think the resolution /image density is the problem and I am not sure how to reduce that I just kept croping the picture as Kelly had suggested. I am using Microsoft Picture it 9.0. I designed the sway bar any had it mfg'd and the spal fan is the new 2700 cfm model I can now cruise in traffic.

Ralph

bittentoo
June 15th, 2004, 07:00 PM
Ralph you are amazing[:O] Screw the pics of the car! Now we need to see pics of scantily clad women that you have been saving on the puter:D

ralphscott
June 15th, 2004, 07:06 PM
I've gotten some great ones from friends! One with the ladies sprayed with gold paint (sorry not orange)about 12 in one picture. Whew!! But since they were not in orange I discarded them!

Ralph