PDA

View Full Version : FOUR POST LIFT

gasman
June 8th, 2004, 10:25 PM
Hey guys, I'm building an office with a 2,500 foot garage....I mean warehouse ;). Need some advice on which brand of four post lift to use. Please tell me which brand you like best and why. Thanks.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

pgermond
June 8th, 2004, 10:36 PM
I can tell you I'm jealous :(

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

clayfoushee
June 8th, 2004, 10:55 PM
Eagle is probably the best. I bought a cheapie, but it works....although not the best quality. Safety is probably equal because all the 7500 capacity 4-post lifts use the same ss cables and design of the lift stops. The difference in price is probably due to quality of the hydraulic unit, and the finish on the lift itself.

I've made the comparison in person because one of our CACC members has an Eagle in his 4-car Cobra garage attached to his mansion (his wife's regular car garage is on the other side of the house[8D]

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

ralphscott
June 9th, 2004, 02:59 AM
Wow Steve that is huge! Of course a guy can never have a garage too big. Does your wife know yet? Let's see Augusta? My aunt lives in Jesup. Hmmm four post lift...

Seriously we are planning on building the final house with a multi car detached garage for my toys and workshop. My Dad has added his input and feels I should do a pit rather than a lift. Had you considered that? I told him it was not as flexible.
Ralph

gasman
June 9th, 2004, 03:32 AM
The pit would have been very easy where we are building and I did consider this. The reason I wanted a lift is so I could roll it outside to pressure wash. On Clay's advice, I'm looking at the Eagle 7000XLT. It is a little pricey compared to others.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

clayfoushee
June 9th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Steve, sent you an e-mail, but you asked about the "best" not the cheapest or what you could get by with. As I said above, I think they are all about equivalent in terms of safety....same basic design. I think the difference is in the quality of the hydraulics. For a hobby garage, I bought mine from Team Lift for $2200, including shipping, 3 drip pans, casters, and jack tray. Of course, it came unassembled, and took a friend and myself 2.5 days of fighting with it.

If you're running an auto-shop and running it up and down all day, you might go for the Eagle, which probably has top-of-the-line hydraulics. Other than that, it has a better paint job.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Master
June 9th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Steve, I'm looking at Bend-pak lifts model LR60 30"lift. "I don't have the height requirement for a four post". They have alot of differnt four post lifts. The LR60 runs about $1150 delivered.

Scott

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

clayfoushee
June 9th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Scott,

That sounds like a very good option. With experience on my 4-poster, I almost never raise it past the 1st (18") or 2nd (33") stops. I like lying down on my very comfy rolly board. Almost fell asleep under there once....good place to take a nap:D....naps are starting to feel good.:D

Clay

Annapolis, MD

ralphscott
June 9th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Scott I've seen the Bend-Pak advertised. If you go for it let us know if you like it. It is the "almost" in Clay's message that makes me think I want a full lift.

Ralph

gasman
June 9th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Ralph, Clay seems to have done his homework here. The four post Team lift is the best value. From my brief investigation the only visible difference between the Eagle and the Team lifts is in the size of your wallet after you've made your decesion. About 1,200 more for the Eagle. Powder coating on the Eagle vs. paint on the Team. Personally, I don't care if the lift is powder coated or not.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

eliminator
June 9th, 2004, 09:12 PM
All of this talk has got me back in the mood to WAX MY FRAME, again.:)

Rick

ralphscott
June 9th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Thanks Steve, I am truly interested in seeing your Garage once you get set-up to give me some ideas. Who knows maybe Rick will come down and wax the frame of your car! :D Did you look at the undercarriage of his car at CobraFest-- unreal. It was so shiny I'm glad I had my Ray-Bans on.
Ralph

Copper01
June 9th, 2004, 10:58 PM
Hi Steve,

I looked at a number of different two and four post lifts and finally decided on on the Superlift SR-7H. In case you're interested, their website is

www.superlifts.com

They have a number of different ratings available, both home use and commercial, and they all meet all of the OSHA/ANSI specifications. The lift height on this lift is 71", which is more than most home garages can accommodate, depending upon what you're lifting, and although it's rated at 7,000 pounds, it's safety tested to 21,000. It also comes with a variety of options, including a castor set so that you can move it around if you wish.

It's certainly not the cheapest on the market, but I've been very satisfied with mine. It was $3,300, complete with shipping and onsite assembly.

Ben
Unique 427
SA 427SO w/ Toploader
Guardsman Blue w/ White Stripes

Aggressor
June 11th, 2004, 04:35 AM
Steve - I have just installed an Eagle lift in my garage. It is a two post and I'm very satisfied with the quality of the product. Delivery was within two weeks of my order. - Geary Sarno

gasman
June 11th, 2004, 05:17 AM
The two post lift is stationary, right? I'd like the option of rolling it outside to pressure wash the under carriage. I looked at the Eagle website, they do make nice stuff. Thanks for your input.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

brfutbrian
June 11th, 2004, 06:06 AM
steve, the two post lift is stationary. and its not a drive on. much more access to the underside of the car. it would be my choice. later, brian