PDA

View Full Version : Out of left field

pgermond
June 11th, 2004, 12:39 PM
I'm a carburetor fan (el natural, okay?)….. never got into the fuel injection thing. But the Cobra is done (they are never done, right?), and occasionally I haul the Cobra on a trailer with my FI Tahoe (yeah, I know, a chubbie). But it provides some comfort when the temps rise here in northern Cal on long trips to where ever, which begins to occur this time of year through Sep. The Tahoe is pretty gutless compared to what I prefer to drive, and we all know what that is, so I thought I would give the Tahoe a boost (besides, I'm bored and I need to do some wrenching). So I bought a FIPK from K&N.

Anyone have any experience with improved performance as a result of installing one of these kits? K&N says it pumps up hp by 10+ (?)

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/pgermond/FIPK.JPG

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

glenn
June 11th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Hello phil,
I've been thinking about doing the same thing to my F-150 to boost performance.I would be curious to know how you make out.Also you have a 406 from SA.How is it performing, carb issues,adjustments anything? Had some engine problems at homecoming,and haven't got my car back from SA.Homecoming was the first chance for me to drive the car on the road and sort any bugs out,but didn't get the chance, do to the engine problem.Can you give me some performance details,can you break the tires loose, and at what rpm? Is it hard to control, anything to get me thru this repair time. THanks Glenn

pgermond
June 11th, 2004, 10:43 PM
Glenn,

I've been watching your posts closely, as I have an SA engine as well. So far, no complaints. Can I break the tires loose? No-o-o-o-o-o problem [:P] This motor is a monster :D At some point I'll change the clutch as I'm not thrilled with the Pioneer clutch Bill uses. I have about 900 mi on it and will run it up to about 5k rpm in 2nd or 3rd occasionally. I don't think I've popped the secondaries in 1st gear 'cause the acceleration scares the b-jesus out of me (and I like speed). Yeah, it's a 406, not a 427. But no one knows that but me and it goes like a raped ape [:P]:D[^]

(I'm keeping my fingers X'd)

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

ralphscott
June 12th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Phil. I have a K&N on my F250 Super Duty Power Stroke Diesel and it has helped. I also put a 54 HP chip in it as well. Got a house that needs to be moved --uphill in a wind storm??? Torque city. :D

Ralph

pgermond
June 13th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Well, no one is talking any fun Cobra stuff.... so here's what I did today after an early (cool) morning outing in my Unique.

It took a leisurely 1.5/hrs...........

Before......

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/pgermond/KN Before.JPG

After......

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/pgermond/KN After.JPG

My daughter came by while I was doing this and said I need to get another hobby! That pretty soon I'll be souping up my wife's Nissan [xx(] I haven't really put it to the test yet, but it sure sounds alot different :D[^]:D

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

gasman
June 13th, 2004, 10:26 AM
Phil,

All that air coming in needs someplace to go. A Flowmaster exhaust should make it sound pretty sporty.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

pgermond
June 13th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Gasman,

Yeah, I'm thinking about that also...... but I don't want to put you out of business in the process :D

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

eliminator
June 13th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Phil,

For the $ spent it's the best investment you can make. I have one installed on my 1997 Dakota 318 Cu In. 5 speed 4X4, has the 3" Cat Back Exhaust upgrade, and headers. Runs great and gets much better gas mileage, 16-16.5 around town and 18.0 on the road. The other is in my 2000 Durango with a 360 cu in engine and a 3:92 rear gear, automatic. Same results , better performance and better gas mileage, it gets 14 mpg around town. I think you made the right move, when I get a new diesel it will have the same upgrade.

Rick

Mike Geddes
June 14th, 2004, 12:56 AM
Phil.
The only hands on...hard data experience I've had with these K&N /cold
air intake claims of increased HP is with an Acura RSX S type.
The claim was 16 HP more at the wheels....we saw a 14 HP increase.
Not bad for 3 hours work and $300.00.( cheap HP.)
Mike

Mike Geddes

gasman
June 14th, 2004, 04:18 AM
Gasman,

Yeah, I'm thinking about that also...... but I don't want to put you out of business in the process

Phil

Then drive to Augusta, Georgia for your next fillup. ;)

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

pseim
October 7th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Hey Phil,
Since you started this topic, I'll ask you.
I did the fuel injection thing on the Cobra and have been thinking about getting some cold air into it in a similar fashion as you did on your truck. Alot of companies are out there making those but they are all specific to a particular car or truck.
On the History Channel the other night they showed a plenum that would mount directly to a carb or throttle body and had two tubular intakes that could be piped to either side of the engine. I had seen that plenum somewhere before but have not been able to find a source.
Any idea? Any thoughts about doing this with an FE?

Paul

pgermond
October 7th, 2005, 06:57 PM
Sorry Paul. No idea... probably have to fab something. Can't be that difficult.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

pseim
October 9th, 2005, 10:32 AM
Anyone else see the show or have any ideas?

Paul

JeepSnake
October 10th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Hey Paul,

Don't know if it's the same one you saw on TV, but I've seen this one advertised in the back of several hot rod mags:

http://www.ramairbox.com/

Hope this helps!

Zach Butterworth
Apple Mt. Cobra Pit Crew
(Mom & Dad's 427)

pseim
October 10th, 2005, 04:29 PM
Zach,
I hadn't seen that one - in particular. The one I saw was similar but set up for the filters at the end of the tubes.
This one looks pretty good - if I can't find the other one (maybe it was a dream) I'll go with this.
Thanks for the help!

Paul

JeepSnake
October 12th, 2005, 07:56 AM
Paul - okay, I see more what you've got in mind. Take a look at K&N's webpage. They carry this adapter (similar to what Paxton used to hook up their supercharger to carbs), but it's only recommended for 200 cid engines or smaller.

http://www.knfilters.com/Racing/plenum.htm

If you could find a larger version of this, then you could use whichever tubing & filters you wanted to.

If you wanted to hit the junkyard scene, I think some Dodge trucks used a similar adapter with remote filter on their TBI setups, and I know I've seen them used on some diesels (of course, flange size would probably be wrong on them).

Hope this helps!

Zach Butterworth
Apple Mt. Cobra Pit Crew
(Mom & Dad's 427)

pseim
October 12th, 2005, 01:36 PM
Zach,
I had seen that one as well. The one I saw had two four inch inlets for larger engines.
I'll check out the others.
Thanks!

Paul
Vancouver, Washington

Justin Upchurch
October 12th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Paul,
Take a look at turbomustangs.com. A lot of the blow through turbo guys run the plenum on their cars. The twin turbos will have two 3 1/2 in air inlets for the turbos, but I have seen land speed cars use this with tubes and cone filters ( 2 14 inch K&N) that run all the way to the front.

Justin

pseim
October 13th, 2005, 05:21 AM
Justin,
I took a look but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Paul
Vancouver, Washington

Justin Upchurch
October 13th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Try this

http://www.carburetion.com/after.htm

Justin