PDA

View Full Version : Tie rod ends

Joe Prochazka
June 18th, 2004, 08:44 AM
Hello Fellow Unique Owners
This is my first post here, but I have been cruising CC for a few years. I have #9371 and from what Alan says it is one of only about 3 in So Cal. I don't know why there aren't more down here.....
I'll get to the point, I eyeballed the alignment and have only 450 miles on the car. Went to the alignment shop that specializes in street rods, race cars etc. The best around here.
When I turn the steering wheel, the front wheel feels tight and responsive on the ground. The alighnment guys lifted the car in the pit and grabbed the wheel front and aft and got about a 3/8" shimmy!
The slop was in the tie rod taper that fits into the steering knuckle. they said the bolts were loose and when they try to tighten them the tie rod taper bolt just spins and like its not seated in the taper or it may be the wrong tie rod end. Has any one had anything like this happen? I guess Unique will reopen Monday. any advise?
Thanks to all.

pgermond
June 18th, 2004, 09:40 AM
There are guys here that are pretty sharp on this stuff, so you came to the right place. If all else fails give Alan a call on Monday and you'll get the straight scoop.

Good luck!

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)