PDA

View Full Version : My Fling's in Trouble--NO MORE!!!!

clayfoushee
June 20th, 2004, 07:08 PM
My daughter honored me by suggesting we take a Cobra cruise together and it started out great...beautiful day, and my car running great.

Unfortunately, my gas tank leak came back with a vengeance. It's now more of a gusher than a leak. It appears that the sealer Lee Dahmer used didn't hold. So, unless the Weaver's can overnight a tank in time to be installed Wed., my DV Spring Fling's in big trouble.

I spent the rest of the afternoon draining the tank and trailering over to Lee's. The leak get's slower, the less fuel in the tank, so it appears it's in a seam above about the half full mark.

Any other ideas? I'm told radiator shops don't want to touch gas tanks anymore, and it is dangerous. Unfortunately, I have heavy work days Mon and Tues, and can't go chasing after it.

Even with a small leak, I can just see someone tossing a lit butt near it with the thousands milling around during the festivities, so this is probably the one thing I can't get around without a total fix.

I'm bummed, and may still go even if I can't get a new tank in time, but my heart's not in it without the car. [xx(][xx(][xx(]

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

pgermond
June 20th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Clay,

I had a leak on my Canton pan that drove me nuts until I had the car up at the painter for a couple of days. When I picked it up the culprit was obvious. The fiberglass dust made the location of the leak standout as though there was a spot light on it. I cleaned the seam with acetone, ruffed it up with sand paper, mixed up some JB Weld, and presto! It hasn’t leaked in a thousand miles! [^]

Might be worth a try [?]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

clayfoushee
June 20th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Hmmmmmm....interesting Phil and thanks. But aren't gas tanks much tricker....especially if the leak is at a seam, which it appears? We used a type of Permatex sealer before, (Lee would know the type), and that didn't work.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

dmiller
June 20th, 2004, 07:40 PM
i repaired a leak on my antique airplane's gas tank once several years ago,

used fiberglass and epoxy.

it has held up.

doug

pgermond
June 20th, 2004, 07:44 PM
Clay,

I honestly don't know if it would work or not, but it sounds like your up against the wall with the Fling and all. Aren't the seams welded? If it were me, I would try anything.... duck tape?

Sorry I can't be more help.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

clayfoushee
June 20th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Phil and Doug....thanks.

Yeah the seams are welded. I've heard of fiberglass and epoxy repairs holding up. Will epoxy bond to aluminum on a welded seam?

Clay

Annapolis, MD

GeorgiaSnake
June 21st, 2004, 02:51 AM
Clay the Weavers are out of town - have you thought about getting a Fuel Cell - it could be over-nighted and would be an obvioue upgrade. How about any of the local Unique guys that are not going to the Fling - swap tanks.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

nolastyankee
June 21st, 2004, 05:15 AM
Clay,
The tank in the Spence car is empty and only held in with two bolts right now. We could box and ship it today if it would help you out. Give me a call at work if this is an avenue you are interested in pursuing.

(479) 273-3600 x22.

The tank had gas in it as little as 6 months ago and was tight. The fuel sender is out and there are no fittings. It has a nice amount of oxidation and is no show piece (yet) but it is not bolted in and shippable. Let me know if we can help.

Good luck amigo.

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

clayfoushee
June 21st, 2004, 07:00 AM
Brian,

That is an exceedingly generous offer. Thank you my friend. But, I believe the 289 tank is different than the 427 tank. I know the filler is in a different place from the location of the caps on the bodies of the cars. How kind of you to offer to go to all that trouble.

Just talked to the Weavers and they're trying to see if their supplier has one made up.

Randy, thanks my car's in Lee Dahmer's shop, and he's a Unique builder with a cell in his personal car. I'll investigate that too.

You guys are all fantastic!

Clay

Annapolis, MD

nolastyankee
June 21st, 2004, 07:49 AM
Clay,
I don't know for sure, but I really don't think the 289 and 427 tanks are different. We have a 12"-14" dogleg to get from the filler to the tank and I am sure that you have something similar but a different shape.

If you are interested let me know, otherwise good luck!

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

clayfoushee
June 21st, 2004, 08:17 AM
Thanks Brian, I talked to the Weavers this AM, and they said it wouldn't work because the filler is on the pass side upper back corner in a 427 tank, and in an entirely different location on the 289 tank. I suspect we could possibly engineer something (I'm sure you and your Dad could!), but we could run into difficulty with the filler hose kinking by going in at an odd angle. I'm going by what the Weavers said and by the different filler cap locations, because I'm not familiar with where the filler opening is on the 289 tank.

I'd hate to have you go to all that trouble for something that might not work, but you're a heck of a nice guy for offering!!!!!

Clay

Annapolis, MD

clayfoushee
June 21st, 2004, 09:16 AM
I just received a call from Jean Weaver that the man in the big brown truck just picked up a new 427 gas tank traveling by next-day air.:D:D:D

Considering that they just got back from vacation and got the call this morning, is that awesome customer service or what!!!!!!!

Thank you Weavers. Why do you think we're all so loyal!

Clay

Annapolis, MD

bittentoo
June 21st, 2004, 10:32 AM
What is it with you Foushee's and keeping your car running at big events:D Get that thing fixed cause I'm a coming to the Fling:D:D Will be solo:( Will be there Thursday and will be staying at the Hampton. Can't wait to see everyone!

clayfoushee
June 21st, 2004, 10:59 AM
Kelly, my car's been running strong since the day I picked her up....no problems with that....only problem is it's dumping flammable liquids overboard.

It'll be fixed...new tank's on the way!!!

Clay

Annapolis, MD

ralphscott
June 21st, 2004, 11:03 AM
The Weavers are awesome. They really treat you as family -- Glad you are getting fixed up. I saw the "cell" in the back of Lee's car a few years back. Are they expensive? With all the talk of gas leaks and such If mine does decide to spring a leak it would seem to be a wise upgrade.
Ralph

clayfoushee
June 21st, 2004, 12:24 PM
Ralph, Lee said the cell was about $1800...certainly advisable if you do any track stuff, but I'd have the same time issue getting that in time.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

rdorman
June 21st, 2004, 12:58 PM
Glad to hear it! ATL will charge something like $3000 for a custom cell so the price doesn't sound all that bad. My radiator sprung a leak, Clay's gas tank, both with in two weeks of the fling. Coincidence, I think not!

Bittentoo, glad to see you are going to make it. I know it was up in the air. We should arrange some sort of Unique gathering. I live in Columbus but will be staying at the Fairfield beginning Thursday.

Rick

clayfoushee
June 21st, 2004, 02:06 PM
Rick, the cell that's been spec'ed for Uniques is an ATL cell, so that's not a bad price is it? Lee Dahmer has all the details, and although he doesn't do internet, I'm sure the Weavers have the info too.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

ralphscott
June 21st, 2004, 05:10 PM
Clay right behind bigger front brakes the FC at $1800 is on my list. Sorry you are having last minute difficulties but it seems to be the way it goes. Usually it all works out in time. I think Scott's flywheel is the outlier. I would like to get over to Lee's in August to check it out.

Ralph

clayfoushee
June 21st, 2004, 08:05 PM
Hope you make it Ralph....that does seem like a good price for an ATL cell.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

rdorman
June 22nd, 2004, 06:03 AM
ATL makes one hell of a fuel cell! I will have to hunt you down to check it out!
Rick

clayfoushee
June 22nd, 2004, 07:01 AM
Rick, I didn't go with the cell, couldn't get it in time. The one we're talking about was in Lee's car, and he's not coming.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

rdorman
June 22nd, 2004, 07:08 AM
Ahhhhhhhhhhh, I get it. Shoot, you are on the sites as much as I am. Last night I was on around midnight and say a recent post from you.

Can't wait for the FLING!!!!

Any one confirmed if the Weavers are coming? I would like for them to bring me some parts.

Rick

clayfoushee
June 22nd, 2004, 07:37 AM
Yeah, my current job is tied to the computer, and I pop over here and CC for a breath of fresh air!

Clay

Annapolis, MD

rdorman
June 22nd, 2004, 08:25 AM
I write software for American Electric Power and of course sit in front of the computer all day. Which of course explains my combined post counts! But in the evenings and weekends, I rarely get on the thing. Being this close to the Fling is like being glued to the tube for the big race of the year!

Rick

Weavers, come to the FLING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

clayfoushee
June 22nd, 2004, 10:48 AM
Thanks again Weavers for the rescue! The new tank arrived, is installed and the car's ready to roll to the Fling.

Now, just out of curiosity, are those new tanks pressure tested before they're shipped?

Clay

Annapolis, MD

rdorman
June 22nd, 2004, 11:07 AM
You might fill it full of water before you install. It is not foam filled is it? You could plug the vents and put a flat plate over the filler with a tire valve to test.

But if they have already done it, what would be the point! Now, get on out to the garage and get busy!!!!!!:)

Rick

eliminator
June 22nd, 2004, 11:45 AM
Dont think they are pressure tested.....
Clay, you could always blow in it.:D:D

Rick

clayfoushee
June 22nd, 2004, 12:38 PM
Just talked to the Weavers. The new tanks from their current supplier are pressure tested. Should be good to go.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

weaver
June 22nd, 2004, 01:16 PM
Everything in our shop is pressure tested including us.

Alan

GeorgiaSnake
June 22nd, 2004, 06:47 PM
Just curious here - $1200 - $3000 for a fuel cell? I have bought several over the years and paid between $275 and $475 for them. Are you guys getting quotes that include a 3 year supply of race gas - what am I missing? You do need to check and change the foam in most of them but $1200 - $3000.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

clayfoushee
June 22nd, 2004, 07:50 PM
Randy, I think we need to know who your supplier is!

Clay

Annapolis, MD

ralphscott
June 23rd, 2004, 03:58 AM
Randy these are designed and built to fit the Unique Cobra. Take 4-6 weeks from order to delivery They use an internal bladder. 18 gallon capacity. This is all I know.

Ralph

Brent
June 25th, 2004, 03:54 PM
Clay I have been gone for a week and I just read your post. Sorry for the bad luck. The "putty" Lee used is a good "rig" to use between rounds at the race track but should never be used as a long term fix.

Bad deal )-:

Brent

clayfoushee
June 27th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Brent,

The good news is the tank arrived from the Weavers in less than 24hrs, and was easy to install. I'm now leak and fume free, and the car ran great at Spring Fling[8D].

More later......

Clay

Annapolis, MD

pgermond
June 27th, 2004, 08:08 PM
So where are pictures from the Fling!?! Inquiring minds want to know? [:P] edit Opps - never mind.... I see a post from your bro [B)]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)