PDA

View Full Version : Griffin Radiator Leak

Russ Dickey
June 22nd, 2004, 08:07 PM
After returning from a short cruise this evening, I smelled hot antifreeze. I opened the hood and saw a little bit of dried coolant on the right-underside of the hood, across the right-front of the engine, and even a little on the firewall. I could hear the high-pitched whistle and bubbling of a leak.

Upon pinpointing the source of the whistle, I found a leak on the upper right-hand section of the radiator. It's on the bottom of a welded seam, just above the top row of coils.

I'm kind of dissapointed, because I've always heard great things about Griffin radiators, and to have one begin leaking at 6700 miles is surprising. If I drove the car harder than I do then maybe I'd expect this.

Has anyone else experienced a problem with their aluminum radiator, and is this something that I can just get it fixed at a local shop?

Thanks,
Russ

Unique 289FIA - Viking Blue

eliminator
June 23rd, 2004, 05:27 AM
Your the first, have not heard of this problem before. And yes , a good radiator shop can Tig Weld the aluminum so the leak is gone and it's nice and pretty:D.

Rick

jhaynie
June 23rd, 2004, 07:28 AM
Mine's leaking after two years and 3800 miles. I put some of the "Bars leaks" in at homecoming and it seemed to have stopped it. I washed down the radiator when I got home and green fluid ran off for a minute before it was clear. I think the leak at one side and possible other places. I haven't had time to worry about it since. I'll save that project for the fall.

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected