PDA

View Full Version : 8.8 rear diff. in a Unique?

Russ Dickey
June 23rd, 2004, 11:34 AM
Just out of curiosity, does anybody run an 8.8 IRS rear in their cars versus the Jag? A lot of the replica companies are using them now, and I was just wondering if any Unique folks have converted.

I've heard the 8.8's are stronger, easier to work on, and cost less. Any truth to that??

Thanks,

Russ

Unique 289FIA - Viking Blue

weaver
June 23rd, 2004, 01:15 PM
No truth at all, if that were the case we would have changed a long time ago. We have a dealer in Colorado that has changed several rear ends out of SP cars because they won't handle the hp. The Jag is basically a Dana 44 and is very strong, in fact we have never broke one, we have replaced a spider gear in the Nascar powered car but they were the original gears.

Alan

Russ Dickey
June 23rd, 2004, 01:59 PM
Alan:
Thanks for the info. I was inquiring because I'm a bit flustered at a recent rear-diff. leak and some "clunking" that has begun on my car (addressed in a different thread). My car has a "pre-Butch" differential, but I have spoken with him and he is willing to repair it for me.

Do you (or anyone else) have a shop manual or reference material that shows me how to work on one of these differentials? It looks like I'm going to have to yank the axles and the center section, and I just don't want to be flying blind.

Thanks,

Russ

nolastyankee
June 23rd, 2004, 02:31 PM
Russ,
We purchased an XJ6 repair manual which is essentially a factory repair guide. It is exactly what you need to work on your differential...However be advised that the Jag manuals indicate that some 'special tools' are required.

This manual is pretty spendy, about $75. If you would like, I can make some photocopies (or perhaps even scan) the final drive section of the manual and send them your way.

You may want to consider having Butch rebuild your rear end unless you have done these before. I'm not at all afraid of mechanical endeavours, however, the learning curve is quite steep on backlash setup, crush bearings, and the like. As far as the differential is buried in these cars, I would hate to have to pull it more than once.

There is also an on-line Jaguar guide which is a compilation of lots of good tips. Try this link and download the file. It's worth the time.

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xj-s/book/Jaguar.html

Let me know if I can be of any help to you!

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

dmiller
June 23rd, 2004, 03:01 PM
this might be helpful. it has some illustrations of rear end.

i'd like to know how to access the complete site that has the manuals, but don't know how. if someone knows that address, i'd like it.
http://www.erareplicas.com/427man/

doug

dmiller
June 23rd, 2004, 03:03 PM
thanks for the jag manual site, that's a lot of information.

doug

ralphscott
June 23rd, 2004, 03:35 PM
I know I'm biased as Butch is a friend, but I'd give him a call and get a price from him. Alan could also give you an idea of how many of these he has built. He also stands behind his work. Hence the numbered tags on the Butch built units and the documentation. He does a fantastic job. 865-524-4800 EST

Ralph

Russ Dickey
June 24th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Thanks to all for the links and info. As stated in my earlier post, I have spoken with Butch. He was extremely friendly and helpful, and should my leaking rear diff. be beyond my mechanical scope, I will absolutely be using him to repair it. I am just needing to do some research on how to remove the axles and rear end from the car.

Russ

nolastyankee
June 24th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Russ,
Removing the axles, dropping the rear end, removing the brakes, and half shafts is a piece of cake and involves no more than time and a basic socket set. When you drain the fluid out of the rear end and pop the cover, then things get technical. The Jag site I listed will help with all the steps to this point. Beyond here, however, I would give Butch a call.

Let me know if you need any info on the process to get the rear end out of the car, we just went through that in reverse (a couple times) on our FIA car. Good luck.

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car