PDA

View Full Version : Gas Pedal broke

WBofTN
June 29th, 2004, 08:24 AM
I’m offering some free advice.
Please check your gas pedal bolt/rod. The one welded to the top of your gas pedal that runs through the firewall. Mine broke this weekend leaving me stranded 15 miles from home. The rod/bolt broke near the weld close to the pivot assembly inside the engine compartment. I have no ideal why the rod would break; there is very little resistance or pressure on the throttle linkage. Maybe heat from the headers? Maybe wear? (No bearing or way to grease the rod). So please check yours before heading out on your next cruise.
Look for signs of wear on the rod just above your headers. BTW my car has 4k miles on it
Wes

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

Brent
June 29th, 2004, 08:35 AM
:( Bummer

That very thought has crossed my mind more than once. Should I be worried pulling on 8 carbs [?]

Glad it did not happen at the wrong place and the wrong time.

Are you going to fix it or make a new one?

If you make a new one in a different design please post pics.

Brent

casaleenie
June 29th, 2004, 08:35 AM
Wes,

Funny you should post this now..The mechanic working on my car had commented on how flimsy the gas pedal was it would probably be a good thing to change out at some later date....

Probably just a coincidence but maybe I'll take heed and follow his advice after what happened to you...
Thanks,
al :)

AL

WBofTN
June 29th, 2004, 08:53 AM
Brent:
God was looking out for me – no cars around when it broke and I was able to coast off the main highway. After study the situation and determining there was no way to fix on the spot, I set my idle up to about 2500 rpms and clutched my way down a back road at a whopping 30mph, Luckily I came up on a auto service shop open with a mechanic on duty. I was able to borrow some tools and disassemble the gas pedal, found a bolt that he
Could re-weld into place, and on I went. I still need to rework the setup cuz the angle is all-wrong. Seems to me there should be more to this than a bolt running through a tube with no bearings or grease. Any input on how to re-engineer would be most welcome
Wes

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

nolastyankee
June 29th, 2004, 04:19 PM
The way that we plan to fix this issue on our car is in the Lokar catalog. They have some very nice pieces that are much stronger than the bracket assembly that you are talking about. Our pedal is in a pile with the white seats and the B&M quicksilver shifter. All are for sale by the way if someone really wants a new "NOS" Unique pedal...

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

pgermond
June 29th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Wes, Thanks for the heads-up. I'm always on the look-out for these types of things (AKA learn from others misfortunes). I'm glad you didn't have any mishap when this happened.

Thanks again for posting the info.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)