PDA

View Full Version : Need belt size

jhaynie
June 29th, 2004, 06:55 PM
As several of you pointed out to me at homecoming, I was one belt short on my engine. I was missing the belt that runs from the crank to the waterpump on my 351W (1969 block), and only had the belt that runs all three pulleys.
I am running the standard March Performance aluminum pulleys. Can someone go look on their car and tell me what size the belt is for the two pulleys and an idea of how to get it on the pulleys? I assume the belt stretches enough to roll it onto the pulley.

Thanks,
John

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

ralphscott
June 30th, 2004, 04:10 AM
John, I have only 1 belt running all three pulleys on my 428. I checked this morning and I have better than a 90 degree contact patch on the waterpump pulley. Is the thought that seperate belt from the crank to the waterpump will improve waterpump performance??

Ralph

jhaynie
June 30th, 2004, 05:38 AM
No, but everyone told me that it the one belt breaks, you still have another cooling the system. Kind of peace of mind I guess, and I would think takes the load off one of the belts.

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

nolastyankee
June 30th, 2004, 05:56 AM
John,
Obviously only you can put a value on the piece of mind that another belt might bring, however, Ford build millions of Mustangs in the 60's with a single belt running the water pump and alternator.

Here's another thought, if you drive these separately you will have two belts on the car. You can leave the one drive belt as is and getting a spare and hiding it in the car somewhere. You'll still have two belts and they will both be the same size. The other way you'll have two belts, different sizes, and no spares.

If you do decide to go the two belt route the method of installation is stretching it over the pulleys. It's a bugger.

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

Mike Geddes
June 30th, 2004, 09:18 AM
John
I've been running 1 belt in my 427 for 12 years.
Like the yankee says....you only need one size spare.
Mike

Mike Geddes

gasman
June 30th, 2004, 09:45 AM
John, the comments above are certainly logical but if you want the insurance of a spare belt in place, try measuring outside to outside of each pully and decreasing the measurement by an inch. This will at least give you a place to start. It it doesn't fit, you can exchange it.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

ralphscott
June 30th, 2004, 11:54 AM
John, thanks I understand your concern. I keep a spare belt in my trunk (boot). I am so obsessive about water temperature, believe me I can relate! :D

Ralph

COBRAGAR
June 30th, 2004, 01:50 PM
do you have double grove on all three pulley if so you can get a match set of belts from your parts store . but if you only have 2 grove on the crank and 2 grove on water pump and only 1 grove on alt . than you can't run 2 belts unless you put in tensioner for the second belt or call march and get a two groove alt pulley. hope this helps

jhaynie
July 1st, 2004, 05:24 AM
Thanks Cobragar. I guess I will not worry about. I was just going on the suggestions of some of the "experts" here, and on what I saw on other small block cars when in Gadsden.

You guys had me worrying about nothing. I watched my ammeter all the way home waiting for my "one" belt to break. Where is everybody that told me to add the belt?

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected