PDA

View Full Version : Bored no more

Brent
July 10th, 2004, 07:37 AM
Well I made the mistake of stating that I was bored now that the car was completed. The car gods made sure I had something to do. As I mentioned in an earlier thread my master cylinder went out and put alot of metal fragments through the lines and the throwout bearing. I have since replaced the master cylinder, fluushed the lines, and rebuilt the throwout bearing.

When I removed the transmission I noticed some end play in the crankshaft. I removed the pan to find that the rear surface of the thrust bearing was worn. I checked my blueprint notes and what was .007 was now .026 [:O] After many measurements I find an input shaft/pilot bearing issue that was loading the crank. I now have the pan off, transmission out, and need to replace all the bearings. No longer bored ;)

I next pull the side pipes,headers,Webers, and remove the motor. I break the motor down to the bare block and start cleaning everything up for new bearings and rings. As I start to gather the parts I decide that I absolutely love the look and performance of the Webers, however, I can't stand the fact that the isolated runner intake removes all of the thump of a good camshaft. The motor runs great but it sounds stock. A .605 lift 248@ .050 solid cam should not sound stock :(

So here we go, I have sold the Webers to Blue Moon Cars in Florida to put on their new all aluminum 427 stroker. I should have the dyno sheets from them in a couple of weeks along with some pics. I am happy to say they sold for quite a bit more than I had in them, so,I have a new camshaft,polished intake,Mighty Demon, turkey pan, and $$$ If all goes well I should lay the crank and hang the rods on Sunday.

Busy now!!!
Brent

ralphscott
July 10th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Brent it is great to "hear" the enthusiasum in you e-mail. I hope you are working in air conditioned comfort! Its in the 90's with similar humidity here. I'll listen for the thump a'thump when you get it started!!:D
Ralph

clayfoushee
July 10th, 2004, 10:22 AM
Way cool Brent....we've missed you!

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

jhaynie
July 10th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Brent, you're a MADMAN!!!

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

gasman
July 10th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Brent, And to think you were going to sell me this piece of junk....you should be ashamed....its a joke..really, just kidding. :D

I'm extremely happy to hear you are keeping your car and have issues to deal with just like the rest of us. The Unique group just wouldn't be the same without you. Now when you get bored again and want to work the bugs out of something, call me and I'll schedule my ride into your shop. ;)

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

Brent
July 10th, 2004, 03:29 PM
Steve,

Your avatar is really VERY fitting.

Brent

clayfoushee
July 10th, 2004, 04:41 PM
:D

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

gasman
July 10th, 2004, 09:39 PM
Glad you like it. I'll work on one for you next.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

pgermond
July 11th, 2004, 07:40 PM
The Webers [:O] You sold the Webers? [:O][:O][:O] Your kidding.... right? [:O]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

bittentoo
July 12th, 2004, 05:29 AM
And the next thing on the list is to paint it orange;)

Master
July 12th, 2004, 06:38 AM
Brent how do you find the time? That would be months of work for me. You are DA man.[8D]

Scott

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

gasman
July 12th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Scott, I'm liking the new avatar....it is groovey baby! :D

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

Brent
July 12th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Phil, The UPS man took them on Friday.

Kelly, I think two of them would be too much for everyone to handle, besides, my wife would not be as understanding as yours with all of the women wanting a ride.

Scott, Lights and lots and lots of coffee.

If I were "Da man" I would not be doing this I would be driving. One measurement I neglected to take was the input shafts depth into the crank when installed. .020 too long and it pushed the crank forward. I am a dumb a$$.

Brent

brfutbrian
July 12th, 2004, 08:43 PM
brent, your being too hard on yourself. i would never even think to check that. i would think there would be plenty of clearance between the crank and the input shaft on the tranni, unless the block plate was left off. or the blowshield depth was wrong for some reason. my condolences. later, brian.

Brent
July 13th, 2004, 04:47 AM
The pilot bearing was too thick and splined part of the input shaft was touching.

Brent

eliminator
July 13th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Brent,

You know some of us have got to do R&D work[^]. The bored ones get designated that job:D

Rick

rdorman
July 13th, 2004, 09:13 AM
I hear you about the car gods Brent. Mine never seemed to break down. I put it up for sale and the radiator and starter went south. Took it off the market, no more problems!

Kind of like a woman are they not?

Rick

Brent
July 13th, 2004, 10:42 AM
:D:D:D

Brent

brfutbrian
July 13th, 2004, 02:16 PM
brent, didnt consider that. that would be a problem. later brian