PDA

View Full Version : FIA Wheel Questions

Russ Dickey
July 13th, 2004, 10:55 AM
While browsing last month's issue of "Kit Car" and checking out Butch Capp's incredible FIA, I have found myself really wanting the correct FIA-style wheels for my car. But here are my questions:

1. Are these wheels made by Trigo? The magazine said Butch's wheels were Trigo's, but I went to their website, and it says "FIA Wheels coming soon"

2. I noticed a Trigo ad in that same issue which advertised a new adapter kit that lets you put a pin-drive wheel on a 5-lug hub. Does anybody have any experience with these? I need to know if they will fit on my car without any modifications or clearance problems, and are they reliable under street or track conditions?

As always, any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Russ

Unique 289FIA - Viking Blue

nolastyankee
July 13th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Russ,
We are putting the Trigo FIA wheels on our car, and these are indeed the same set that Butch Capps is running. Trigo does make them at the present time, they are in stock (as of last week) and run $2395 for the wheels and adaptor set. There is only one size to choose from for the front and back.

The rear wheels with adaptor are 1.5" wider per side than your current setup. In order to run them, you will need to shorten your lower suspension arm, shorten your output drive shafts, and convert to the Carrera (or other adjustable) coil over shock units. Since my Dad and I are still in the build process, this is quite an easy modification...However we are learning that there is as much cost in the wheels as there is in the mods to make them work!

The Trigo adaptor is run by just about all of the cars out there with knock-offs as the number of original pin-drive manufactured parts is slim.

Good luck!

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

souzape
July 13th, 2004, 12:44 PM
Russ- I'm sure I saw the correct FIA type wheels at PS engineering when I bought my kidney beans. You won't have the absolute correct wheel (real knock-off) but then again you won't have to go all through the hassle of suspension mods and beating the crap out of your wheel bearing when you tighten your three eared knock-offs either. You can specify the size and offset you want and the cost will run about $1700.00 bucks. My PS engineering wheels have run straight and true and are extremely concentric and well balanced...in a nutshell, no complaints. PHIL SOUZA

nolastyankee
July 14th, 2004, 05:54 AM
Russ and Phil,
PSE does make FIA type wheels, but they are not bolt ons. They are for pin drive knock-offs just like Trigo. PSE will make custom wheels with specified backspacing and offset, but they will not make bolt-on FIA style wheels. Trust me, I have tried. The biggest reason is that the FIA wheels are six-spoke and our wheel hubs are only five lug.

I have been trying to find FIA style bolt-ons for the last 9 months and have had no luck. I do know they were manufactured at some time, there is a picture of a Unique 427 car with them on over on CC. The owner insists they are Compomotive, but Alan over at Comp claims they never made them.

There were two Unique 289 cars at Homecoming with older ERA FIA knockoffs that also use an adaptor and don't require narrowing the rear end. The wheels don't have the deep offset and look of the Trigo's, but are still 'correct' appearing six-spoke FIA. The cars that had these wheels were the two guys from New England that drove down to Gadsden. (I don't recall their names, sorry!) I have not tried ERA to see if these wheels are still available. If someone knows about availability of these, please respond here.

souzape
July 14th, 2004, 06:22 AM
Brian/Russ- too bad....I was quite certain I saw the cast center sections but didn't realize they were real knock-offs. Adapters are really a potential problem even on production cars. I lived in England for several years and always had more balance/run out problems with knock-off wheels (even "good"ones)compared to bolt ons. Won't even go into the problems with wire wheels (which were usually the knock-offs). PHIL SOUZA

nolastyankee
July 14th, 2004, 06:31 PM
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/nolastyankee/11033CC2-med.jpg

Here is the Unique 427 I referenced with the bolt on FIA style wheels. Anyone know who made these?

brfutbrian
July 14th, 2004, 07:16 PM
at least one of the FIA cars from connecticut, (tom`s, the red one),had fake wheels . its just a cover over a chrome wire basket wheel. theres an adapter for the knock off nut that bolts to the lugs. the wheel cover covers the face of the steel wheel( the face is painted flat black) but still shows the chrome on the rim. the knockoff nut holds the cover in place. unless you look real close its real hard to tell. i dont believe theyre still made. later, brian

nolastyankee
July 15th, 2004, 05:19 AM
Wheel covers? Huh, I wouldn't have guessed, they looked that good.

We are putting Trigo's on our car, just can't pass up that great FIA look. I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag just yet, but you also might see velocity stacks on the Spence car...Stay tuned. We are all moved into the new house and my engine build is starting in a week or so.

WBofTN
July 15th, 2004, 05:25 AM
Hey Yankee,
I sent you an e-mail several days ago - Do you still use the e-mail listed
in your profile??
Wes

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

nolastyankee
July 15th, 2004, 11:23 AM
WB,
Sent you an e-mail in return.

excelguru
July 15th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Paging Clyde... come in Clyde...
Clyde (chill) needs to post some pics of beautiful wheels.

Keith :)
Unique Motorcars (http://www.uniquecobrareplicas.com)
Southern Automotive (http://www.southernautomotiveengines.com)
Bruce Bunn (the painter) (http://www.jodecoautobody.com)

My Photo Album (http://members5.clubphoto.com/keith355593/owner-429c-1.phtml)