PDA

View Full Version : toploader vs. tremec

scott
July 19th, 2004, 09:01 PM
what are the pros and cons regarding the tremec 5 speed when compared to a 4 speed toploader i will be running a 351W (mild build)

pgermond
July 19th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Scott,

Everyone has an opinion - so here is mine. #1 - think the top loader is pretty much bullet proof, particularly with the weight of these cars. #2 - Kind of depends on how you plan on driving it and the rear gear ratio. On the highway at 70 mph I spin 3,000 rpm with 3:31 rear gears, and my FE can go all day at that rate (unfortunately, my back can't). If you plan on getting in the car and driving long distances at high-speeds, then a 5-speed might suit you. My experience has been I have to get out on an open road to use third and forth. With my current driving habits, even on the highway/interstate, I would very, very seldom, if ever have a need for that fifth gear.

Like I said, everyone has an opinion, and I'm pretty confident you're going to get plenty of those from this group of knowledgeable gentleman :D:D

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

chris knueven
July 19th, 2004, 10:03 PM
scott,
like phil says,everyone has a opinion. so here is mine also....
i have a 351/427 stroker and i'm running the tremec trans. the
rear in my car is a 3.54 gear,wich at 60 on the freeway has the
motor loafing at 2000 rpm. 80 mph is only 2500. i like the overdrive
because i do a lot of long trips(2500 miles a month ago) and the motor would drive me nuts if i didn't have the overdrive. the other benefit is i am getting about 18-19 mpg on the interstate(dont ask about around town!!!).
the tremec is pretty bullet proof in a lite car like ours,ask
anyone who has seen the way i drive!!!!. well time to get to work.....
chris

clayfoushee
July 20th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Scott,

It really depends upon what kind of car you're building. If you are a purist, you'd probably go with the toploader, though it is just a replica. But, even then it's not that simple. If you do a lot of long-distance cruising above 65 mph, you might prefer the 5 speed just to turn lower rpms at cruise. It's not so much that the motor can't tolerate it (it can), but the noise might get to you. Both are very good choices for these cars, but I do love my toploader with 3:31 rear gears.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler, top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

spd4me
July 20th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Someone told me once that if you have a "HotRod" or custom car, the year the trans was built is the year you can register it as. Example, if you have a 65 toploader, you could register car as a year 65. Does any body know anything about this? What I'm saying is if you want to register your Cobra as a 60's then get a toploader. I drove one with a 5 speed and you really have to get to 80 mph to keep the motor going.

clayfoushee
July 20th, 2004, 07:31 AM
Spd...it depends upon the state, they all have somewhat different rules, but it's more likely to be the date of the engine manufacture. If it's CA, it's an entirely different game.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

pgermond
July 20th, 2004, 12:38 PM
I can confirm what Clay said in regards to California and registration - if were simply the year of the tranny, it would be a snap. It isn't - and it ain't :(

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

clinck
July 20th, 2004, 09:27 PM
I guess I can speak freely among friends. If you are going anywhere outside of town you need a 5 speed to stay up with the local traffic, let alone the guys you are traveling with.
If town is where you go then the top loader is fine. I have this very problem with my FIA 289 car. The road is traveled at 75 miles an hour and that is too high for my 3:55 if I want to keep up with the rest of the herd. I am warping at 3000 rpm's at 60 miles an hour.

Just my problem really...

Sundown

clinck
July 20th, 2004, 09:28 PM
I guess I can speak freely among friends. If you are going anywhere outside of town you need a 5 speed to stay up with the local traffic, let alone the guys you are traveling with.
If town is where you go then the top loader is fine. I have this very problem with my FIA 289 car. The road is traveled at 75 miles an hour and that is too high for my 3:55 if I want to keep up with the rest of the herd. I am warping at 3000 rpm's at 60 miles an hour.

Just my problem really...

Sundown

ralphscott
July 21st, 2004, 03:58 AM
Scott, I have a close ratio toploader and a 3:31 gear and am runing 16" wheels. I am running 2200 rpm at 60 mph. I like my toploader for a bunch of reasons; close ratio, I rarely drive over 75 mph for protracted periods, if I need to jump on (emergency)it I can do it in my top gear, and more on esthetics I like the idea of having the same trans the originals had. Guess in some ways I am stuck in the past. As for registration I used the Mfg or origin paperwork where momma Jean Weaver noted the Cobra plus the year on the paperwork. I took it to county clerk office and voila' registered! I'm sure it is tougher in CA with their emmission restrictions I defer to Phil on that..

Ralph

eliminator
July 21st, 2004, 05:40 AM
In KY the registration is done with Mfg. origin paperwork, 1965, if you have a 427 S/C. This is supplied by Unique Motorcars.
You need to talk to most of the Superformance owners with Tremec 5 speeds, all the ones around here are wanting to get rid of them and get a toploader. With the 450-500 HP engines the gear ratio's are quite strange. Give me a toploader close ratio with a 3:31 or 3:54 rear gear. (This is for a big block).

Rick

spd4me
July 21st, 2004, 06:00 AM
Ralph - all you did is show a bill of sale saying it was a 66 year and they registered it as such. That's the kind of place I like. There is a web site "smokemup.com" that will give you all the speed vs. rpm for the tires and gear ratios you want to run.

eliminator
July 21st, 2004, 07:01 AM
Speed,
Registered as a 1965, not a 1966.

Rick

pgermond
July 21st, 2004, 07:50 AM
Scott,

Registration in CA is done through the SB100 process. I've been through it and it isn't all that bad (actually, it is pretty easy and painless). The was a lot of unneeded self-inflicted anxiety, but I got through it and I am LEGAL [^]

This link provides a roadmap of SB100. I read it, printed it, highlighted the important parts, and took it with me when I visited DMV (very helpful) http://www.cobratrader.com/registrationCA.html

Remember what I said about opinions? These guys are great!

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

clayfoushee
July 21st, 2004, 07:57 AM
Phil,

I guess the only problem with SB100 is that CA only allows 500 "specially constructed" cars per year, and I've read there will be a huge backlog of pent-up demand......better line up the day after Christmas, and bring a nice tent.

I also read on CC that the state was now investigating all Cobras including those legally registered under SB100.
Clay

Annapolis, MD

ralphscott
July 21st, 2004, 10:58 AM
Speed, Yes it was as simple as that. I love TN. Mine like Rick's is '65 Thanks for the reference site!:D

Ralph

pgermond
July 21st, 2004, 12:42 PM
Clay,

You are correct - 500 cars per year under SB100. The first year not all were used. Last year they were exhausted by mid-June. This year all were taken by February 27. There are a number of owners who are re-registering cars under SB100 to beat the smog requirements (lots of FFRs).

The State has cracked down big time on Cobra's registered out-of-state through companies such as Titles Unlimited. I personally know guys who have Cobra's (who didn't register the proper way), that have received a letter from DMV demanding they send in their lic plates and $3,000 (I have no idea how they came up with that amount) and re-register through SB100.

I haven't heard of anybody getting tagged that used SB100, but who knows? Could be just a bunch of gossip on CC (they are pretty good at that). I would be more than happy to share my experience with anyone who is interested - either via e-mail or real time.

Hey!!!! Weren't we talking about transmissions!!!! Sorry Scott:D:D;)

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE

Roseville (N.Cal)

scott
July 21st, 2004, 04:16 PM
pretty sure i will go with the 5-speed. 3.31 or 3.55 rear en, which would be best with the 351

clayfoushee
July 21st, 2004, 05:10 PM
3:55 w/ the 5-speed.

Clay

Annapolis, MD