PDA

View Full Version : Southern Automotive 406 / 428

olblu66
August 1st, 2004, 08:44 AM
I'm new on this site and I'm interested in a 427 unique. I'm trying to decide on which engine to use...a 406 or a 428. I live in Atlanta and the traffic is ...... ..well, you know what I mean. I'm concerned about overheating and resale issues. I will not be racing; only cruising and shows.

I'd love to hear your opinions.

homer
August 1st, 2004, 09:03 AM
You cannot go wrong with Southern Automotive -- outstanding quality and support -- I have a 406 and run in traffic in 85deg weather without overheating issues -- I did add an 14" SPAL puller fan with brackets that I made to the back of the radiator to help the pushers in traffic -- this is something the SA recommends

pgermond
August 1st, 2004, 10:57 AM
olblu66,

I saw your post over on CC. I suppose there is somewhat of an issue with resale, but I elected to go with the SA 406 and have no regrets, The car runs cool unless I am in dead-stop traffic. I added a 16" SPAL in case of an emergency, but very seldom have to use it.

These cars are so light the 406 provides as much hp/torque as I need for my driving - and it IS fun [:P] It's a big block FE and if you want to tell folks it's a 427 no one will challenge you. Personal choice...

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

brfutbrian
August 1st, 2004, 01:40 PM
66, use whichever your budget allows for. bill`s motor are great. he stands behind them, and he`s local. havent heard of any issues overheating if you add on the spal fan. later , brian

gasman
August 1st, 2004, 05:18 PM
Southern Automotive is a good choice for you simply because they are so close. You can't go wrong with either motor.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

eliminator
August 2nd, 2004, 06:13 AM
Personal preference on the motor and $$, both are FE motors and the cooling issue is the same with each.

Rick

patrija
August 3rd, 2004, 08:34 AM
I live in Duluth just NE of Atlanta and have had a SA 406 for about 3 years now. SA has been great to deal with and have my highest recommendation. I did add the puller fan and since then have had no overheating problems.

PS - Being a local guy, you may want to call ask Bill about his new "Super FE" based on the 390. I have one in the works, but am not sure if he's turned up production yet.

Brent
August 3rd, 2004, 09:01 AM
I have a 402 FE. The motor is based on a .060 over 390. These engines are easy to find and use all of the same parts as a 427 except for the crank and pistons. The trick to make a motor run is in the cam,heads, and induction so a 406 can be however strong you want it to be.

If you want to be able to say "yes it is" to the 427 question you need to spend more money. You can build a 406 motor less heads and intake for what a bare 427 block will cost.

Brent

Oldtimer
August 3rd, 2004, 06:17 PM
Ditto to all the others, I have a S.A.406 and love it, as Bill says a Replica 427 for a replica Cobra ! I also recommend the additional puller fan,never overheated here in Fla.in traffic, but,it did get higher than I wanted to see in stop and go traffic with out it. Either engine would be a good choice in the Unique! [8D]

Rich