PDA

View Full Version : Tall driver

sfapsey
August 5th, 2004, 06:33 PM
WEll we finally got our 289 Cobra registered, and inspected, so now I get to drive it. Problem is there is hardly enough room for my legs. I am 6'2". Any advice on getting more room in the car. Is there such a thing as adjustable brake and clutch pedals?

sfapsey

brfutbrian
August 5th, 2004, 08:41 PM
if the seat is sitting flat on the floor you can install some blocking on the front side of the seat to tip it back some. that might help. i have my seats raised about 2 inches in the front and have no trouble with legroom at 6 ft. later, brian.

pgermond
August 5th, 2004, 09:24 PM
As Brian said, you could get some square aluminum stock (I used 1") under the front of the seat to tilt it back to allow for extra "stretch". The dropped floor box helps a lot also. I'm 6'3", and the only issue I have is bugs on my forehead between my eyebrows and hair line :D

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

jhaynie
August 6th, 2004, 07:21 AM
MOve you seat all the way back to the trunk bulkhead if you haven't already. The guy I bought my car from was 6'4". I could barely reach the pedals until I put adjustable tracks in.

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

Silk
August 6th, 2004, 07:39 AM
sfapsey,

You might do a search on Club Cobra - Bob Evans has a Unique FIA and he's is over 7' tall. I know he's posted a number of times explaining the tricks he employed to make his car fit. At 6'2", just a few of these things might work for you. Here are a couple of threads I found:

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9324

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38095&highlight=bob+evans+tall+seats

Gary
Unique FIA 351W

rdorman
August 6th, 2004, 07:45 AM
I may have an older Unique but my pedal's are adjustable. Aren't yours? The guy I bought my car from was over 6'3. Me being under 5'10 I actually had to buy longer pushrods to get the pedals up where I wanted them!

The tilt the seat trick works. If you don't have to worry about seat adjustment taking out the tracks can be helpful. The former owner also removed some padding from the seat to give more room. Of course at the expense of comfort. A quick release steering wheel makes life nice for larger guys, easier in and out. Driving shoes also make life better for those with big feet.

Rick

Unique 289_FIA
August 6th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Congrats on getting through the registration and inspection!!

Robert

P.S. Have you checked the brake bias bar yet?

Unique Motorcars 289 F.I.A. # 9142
Southern Automotive 354 stroker

Mike Geddes
August 6th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Glad you got the car registered....now driving it..comfortably.

I'm 6 foot 2 1/2 inches...I've had two broken ankles and knee surgery
over the years....I have a 34 inch inside leg measurement.
When I got my 427 from Unique in 1991 I made a very simple decision..
...Automatic Transmission.....I have a 4 speed AOD....No leg problems,
the right heel rests in the floor depression and just swivels between
gas and brake........gotta love it....I do.
Mike

Mike Geddes