PDA

View Full Version : bumpers

dmiller
August 22nd, 2004, 06:03 AM
are the "bumpers" functional lift points? i'm not sure what they are actually called, but they are four "bumpers", two front, two rear, that were used on the actual race cars to lift the car for tire changes using a dolly like contraption.

they appear to be too light to actually be used on our cars. additionally, are they stout enought to be used as tie downs points when trailering?

i'm inclined to think that they are cosmetic only, but it would be really convenient if they were stout enough to be used without damage to car.

thanks.

doug

clayfoushee
August 22nd, 2004, 07:09 AM
Doug,

They're cosmetic in this case. Sounds like you have "quick-jacks" on your car (inverted u-shaped brackets). Others run "over-riders" which are four upright, chrome "bumperettes." While others run these with the oval nose-guard bumper atttached in front, and a straight bumper attached in back.

In all cases they're purely cosmetic. I use lower A-arms for tie down in front, and rear half-axles for the back.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (454-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

dmiller
August 22nd, 2004, 07:43 AM
you are confirming my thoughts. thanks.

doug

ralphscott
August 23rd, 2004, 04:12 AM
Doug I have street bumpers the oval bumper and straight bumper. The only time I use them is when I am preparing to jack the car I lift the car body by hand using the bumpers to set the shocks and raise the body a few inches that gives me a little more clearance under the body to work the jack. I would install tie downs tabs. There are bolts that are already in place that the tie-down tabs can be attached to.

Ralph