PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Car-Guy Dining Room

nolastyankee
August 23rd, 2004, 06:42 PM
An alternative title for this thread could be "What to do with that room in your house that you never use but paid a lot of money to furnish"... Realistically, I should have went with "The Most Understanding Wife Around".

Some explanation first...Many of you know that my Cobra build was somewhat interrupted by a cross-country move. In the process I decided to do a little alternative decorating...What do you guys think?

How often are you walking to the kitchen when you suddenly remember..."Hey, I wish I had that 1/2" drive socket right about now..." You're in luck! With the new hallway toolbox, you can satisfy all of your mid-meal fix-it urges without heading all the way to the garage or basement.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/nolastyankee/Hall1.jpg

Greasy stains on your shop clothes? Tide is no match for a 6.5HP air compressor conveniently located in the laundry room. You can even port & polish the dryer vent for that extra edge of performance.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/nolastyankee/Laundry1.jpg

Hey, you don't use the dining room anyway, right? Might as well dress it up with some solvents and a small block Ford. You can have your Krispy Kreme's and torque your main caps all from one convenient location!

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/nolastyankee/Dining1.jpg

OK, OK, so why is all this crap in my house? Because we had to get it out of the garage to paint the floor. The Cobra needs a nice home too! Sure, it's not the Foushee-Garage-Mahal, but it will do the trick quite nicely for me.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/nolastyankee/Garage1.jpg

As the last picture shows, the garage preparations are finally completed and Dad and I are officially back in the Cobra building business. Well, I am at least. Dad has been busy forming aluminum for the foot boxes and the engine compartment tins while I am busily bolting together something to fill that void. Below is the same ugly motor that came out of the Spence car a few months back although with many hours of griding and machine work, it has gotten a major facelift...

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/nolastyankee/block.jpg

Stay tuned, chapters will be in short order. By the way, if your loved one complains about the mess you have made, feel free to drag out this thread to show that it could be much, much worse!

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

nolastyankee
August 23rd, 2004, 06:46 PM
Last picture did not load correctly...

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/nolastyankee/Block1.jpg

pgermond
August 23rd, 2004, 08:21 PM
I'm thinking I would like to rent a room in your garage ;)

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

brfutbrian
August 23rd, 2004, 09:02 PM
brian, loved the pic of the engine block on the stand in your dining room. brought back memories of a 4 cyl. outboard power head i reassembled in my living room a few winters back. i probably should have told my wife i was going to do that before she went out shopping.if you really want to test your wifes patience, that one works well. glad to hear youre moved in. enjoy finishing your build now that youre getting back on track.im sure youll keep us posted. later, brian

ralphscott
August 24th, 2004, 03:49 AM
Brian., Like Brian I remember when I was in college I rebuilt my Porche 356A engine in our apartment dining room. Very convienient! On the garage I like it particularly the trim molding, bet it will really look good once you get the crown molding up. :D

Ralph

clayfoushee
August 24th, 2004, 05:47 AM
Brian,

That's the Gasman Garage-Mahal, just for clarification. Mine's way too small and a total mess.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/clayfoushee/HCFPictures 059.jpg

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (454-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

gasman
August 24th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Brian, Wow that garage floor looks fantastic! What finish is that? My new office/garage will be ready for occupancy 9/1. I can't wait to get in there.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

clayfoushee
August 24th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Gasman,

Neither can we, you need to be in there BAD!:D

Clay

Annapolis, MD

nolastyankee
August 24th, 2004, 01:56 PM
The garage floor is a kit that is in most magazines from U-Coat-It. The kit is incredibly complete down to rubber gloves, brushes, and drop cloths. In fact, all you need to buy is a $5 can of Muriatic acid to etch the floor in preparation.

Materials cost $800 for a 900 sq ft. area. I estimated high to not run out, I could have likely cut my costs by $100-$150 if I really stretched it. On the other hand, I was happy that we had extra as the paint really starts to work poorly after 60 minutes even though you have 90 minutes working time per the instructions. This was a three step process and we applied one coat per day. The finish is a bond coat with no-skid, a color coat with 'flecks', and a clear coat.

The results are fantastic, I am very pleased. Check out the U-Coat-It site - there are lots of color combinations to match any room. Only real pain in the neck was completely emptying the garage for three days of painting and three additional days of cure...Hence the dining room full of engine parts!

clayfoushee
August 24th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Brian, that does look really fantastic. But, my house would have to be abandoned as a toxic waste zone, if I emptied out my garage to do that................oh well, time to move soon!

Clay

Annapolis, MD

gasman
August 24th, 2004, 06:57 PM
What? Where are you moving?

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

clayfoushee
August 24th, 2004, 07:30 PM
As soon as A is in college, further south!

Clay

Annapolis, MD

ralphscott
August 25th, 2004, 04:00 AM
Clay looks like it is a little tight. Where are you parking your new toy! The other Mustang not the one hanging from the ceiling??

Ralph

WBofTN
August 25th, 2004, 05:21 AM
Steve,
It sounds like Clay is moving in with you[:O]
He's just waiting for the right time to tell you:D
Wes

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

rdorman
August 25th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Garage envy............. one of these days!

P51 is my all time favorite Clay. Glad to see one hanging there.

I always wanted a drive in living room. Watch the game, favorite beverage all the air conditioned comfort of my own living room! That would indeed be a cool room.

Rick

clayfoushee
August 25th, 2004, 06:53 AM
Ralph, I'm afraid another real car has to move out, at least temporarily. Of course, there's always the trailer......

Clay

Annapolis, MD

gasman
August 25th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Wes, What's up with selling your car? Have you placed an order for a 289 or a 32 coupe?

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

WBofTN
August 25th, 2004, 08:07 AM
I'ma shopping - I was thinkin a/b getting a big block car, but it seems to me you BB guys are aways pullin your motors in and out of
your cars[B)]:D.
I'am hoping to upgrade to a little nicer car - seems like with
with the cash i get from my car plus a buck or two - might do it.
I don't think I ready to build one, kids keep me hoppin most nights
and weekends.
Wes
BTW- thanks for the comments a/b my car over on CC. This guy is bying
the car site-un-seen. Although I did send him a cd with 15 high resolution photos. I have nothing to hide, but I think he needed some
reassurance. I hope to have the deal complete later today. Again Thanks.

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

clayfoushee
August 25th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Based upon a comment and a wink by "Cracker" over there, me-thinks someone has "aluminum envy." Make sure you put an advanced "hammer and dolly" course in your budget:D.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

gasman
August 25th, 2004, 09:42 AM
Aluminum envy? Twelve pack should take care of that.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

PS: I know a thing or two about buying cars sight unseen. [B)]

clayfoushee
August 25th, 2004, 09:56 AM
No, I think that makes it worse, and then you just want more and more aluminum. But, you can practice your hammer and dolly skills on the cans.

Hey Gasman, stop beating yourself up. You got a nice car for a good price, and your experience is not significantly different than a lot of other Cobra replica owners, including those that built new cars. You want reliable, then find a nice stock, throw-away, 5.0 EFI:D.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

WBofTN
August 25th, 2004, 10:33 AM
No Clay – I doubt a few bucks more would get me a piece of aluminum.
That $39k price for aluminum quickly inflates when you read the small print.
Wes

'93 Unique 427/351W/4sp

ralphscott
October 14th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Hey guys this is a test of sorts I have all sorts of problems with the relationship between me, my camera, and my computer. So here goes again just finished a long project on my garage floor filling cracks with a warehouse type epoxy finishing those, about 75 feet worth, then getting some industrial grade epoxy floor coating, took two coats, and my wife did the sprinkles (important that it is the industrial grade coating so that it is impervious to oil and gas, and no my FE does not leak oil it just has this really neat automatic oiling system to keep the input shaft of my transmission lubricated. My carb has a similar feature that makes sure I routinely clean my intake.) Then at my wife's suggestion we, and I do mean we put down the cove base molding. I also installed some temporary stops on my garage door rails so the bottom of the door does not touch the floor till it cures, and critters taller than 1" can't get in.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/ralphscott/DSCF0001.JPG

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/ralphscott/DSCF0002.JPG

Well here goes...

Ralph

bittentoo
October 14th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Ralph, that's really cool!

ralphscott
October 14th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Thanks Kelly. I think next time I post the pictures I'll put a space between them so they don't go horizontal on me. Glad to see you back on line If you hadn't read my post sorry about the brakes that is a bummer! I think the worst that happend to me when I was out was I busted my rocker haft on the passanger side into three pieces so I made it home on 4 cylinders! Got to really love these cars they got guts!

eliminator
October 15th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Ralph,

The floor looks like it came out really good. Think I will order the same stuff.

Rick

weaver
October 15th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Ralph, what brand floor coating did you use?

Alan

ralphscott
October 15th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Rustoleum Industrial Grade. I had to order it through Home Depot. It is not the stuff they adverise on TV, which is not impervious to oil or gas and is latex based. This stuff is Xylol based. You can clean-up with lacquer thinner. Plan on two coats, as if you do the cleaning correctly the stuff gets sucked right into the pores of the concrete. You can recoat 16-72 hours after the first coat and it will bond. Cure for cars to be on it is temperature dependent 4-12 days The colder the slower the cure. Hope that helps Alan.

Ralph

nolastyankee
October 18th, 2004, 05:55 AM
When looking at epoxy floors, be sure to inquire or specify that this will be used as an automobile parking surface. I know some of the inexpensive kits from the big-name home stores are not guaranteed to hold up to solvents like motor oil. This isn't advertised prominently on the package and the pictures all show use in a garage. I only stumbled on to this in researching several brands.

The coating that I used was a three step process, two water based epoxy and one solvent based clear coat. If you want something that is suitable for cars or shop use, you may need to step up to a heavier duty coating. I used the U-Coat-It products and couldn't be happier. Lots of colors, very complete kit, even comes with a video to make application easier.

www.ucoatit.com

gasman
October 18th, 2004, 11:45 AM
Brian, This coating looks fantastic. Just out of curiousity, I used the material estimator to estimate the cost of doing my 2,500 foot floor. Fortunately, someone discovered me on the floor and was able to use a defibulator to bring me back. My floor will have to wait a few years.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

ralphscott
October 18th, 2004, 01:50 PM
Steve, I had the same research experience as Brian, that is why I went with the Rustoleum Industrial Grade coating. I brought 4 Kits as I have yet to do the lower garage. I used 2.5 kits to cover 640 sq.ft. of garage (two coats). The cost per finished sq. ft was $0.53 including sprinkles (which are extra, but good camo.)if you do the work yourself. I also used 2 gallons of Muriatic acid $17.00. What I liked most is there was no problem with the work time on this stuff. You basically mix as you go so you always have a wet surface to lap to and the stuff stays liquid.

Ralph

nolastyankee
October 19th, 2004, 05:40 AM
Steve,
I can see where the UCoatIt products would be cost prohibitive on a major project like your 2500 sq. ft. garage. At that point you might want to have a professional installer quote as they may be able to get a break on the materials. Not to mention that you'll need that defibrillator after coating 2500 sq. ft. with that solvent based stuff!

Ralph mentions that he had good working time with the solvent based coating...One criticism of the UCoatIt product is that the water based coats in the first two steps really worked poorly toward the end of the batch. Doing something as large as you are could cause problems if the working time is short. Again, in a normal garage this isn't an issue, but it sounds like yours is just not any garage!

chill
November 28th, 2004, 05:27 PM
I had exactly that issue when I did my 3-car garage with the Rustoleum stuff. I tried to do it all in one batch and by the end it was getting tough to work with and now after its been down a year or so, it has pulled up under the tires of the cars in the last 2 bays painted and its worse under the last bay.. unfortunately that is the Cobra bay. Now I am faced with stripping the paint and starting over... or tiling the while thing!

chill

Unique 289FIA
Southern 396 Stroker