PDA

View Full Version : Shock Change

eliminator
September 1st, 2004, 07:29 AM
Just installed the Bilstein Front Shocks, these are the ASN series, aluminum body, anodized gunmetal gray. The body is a beffy 46 mm (2")
and the shaft is somewhat larger than the Carerra[^]. Using Hypercoil, 350# 10" springs and yes they are blue. Chrome springs are pretty but the process screws up the spring rates, and the steel they are wound with. And yes it hurt me:( to put blue springs on a Louisville Cardinal Red Cobra,:( but it's not quite Kentucky Blue;).Waiting on the rear shocks as the shocks we use have 5/8" eyes on the rear and that's not exactly an industry standard. Will report later on the rear install and ride. Since these are a gas pressure Mono-Tube shock the install is a little tricky.
New vs Old
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/eliminator/Cobra Build 041.jpg
Another view
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/eliminator/Cobra Build 042.jpg
Installed, Right Front
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/eliminator/Cobra Build 043.jpg
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/eliminator/Cobra Build 044.jpg

Rick

KrAzEcJ
September 1st, 2004, 08:16 AM
Those look nice Rick. The Carerra's were giving you trouble? Not stiff enough or too stiff? Alan was telling me that mine wont be Carerra's and they are using new manufacturer. Do you know anything about them? Or is anyone using them on their car?

Unique 4279459

weaver
September 1st, 2004, 08:17 AM
Have they given you a idea on what the retail price will be for a set? They sure look nice.

Alan

clayfoushee
September 1st, 2004, 08:50 AM
Great timing Elim. I'm looking to do this over the winter. Could I get the parts list (front and rear) from you in a couple of months?

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (454-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

eliminator
September 1st, 2004, 10:00 AM
My front Carerra's were bottoming out with 325# springs under normal driving conditions[V]. I didn't like the way the front end was acting. The rear was OK (will see now if it was OK or I didn't know what bad really was ). The static ride height I wanted to use was extending the shock totally and I had no rebound at all in the rear and I found one rear shock broken. The shaft had pulled out of the piston, found out later it came unthreaded internally. So no, I am not a big fan of Carerra's, I think as soon as they had financial problems it showed up in the quality of their product.
So I have learned a little about the Unique suspension, static height, extended and compressed shocks. What I have realized is a car this low to the ground can only have about 1 1/2 - 2" compressed shock travel and maybe 1 - 1 1/2" of rebound. So we are dealing with a car with maybe 4" of total shock travel. The stroke on a Winston Cup GN car is about 8 1/2".
To make a long story short, daily driving this probably means very little, if you drive a little or alot aggressive, then shock and spring combinations are critical and $costly[:O].
The folks at Bilstein have been very good to work with and we hope to come up with a package that will work very good on a Unique Car at a fair price. This is not for everyone, probably the minority.
I guess I just like playing with the car:D:D.
Clay, I would think within the next 4 weeks we will have a good idea of what shock it is going to take and the cost involved. Springs are variable, the height will be pretty consistant but the rates will vary with the car and driver.

Rick

eliminator
September 1st, 2004, 10:11 AM
The new shocks are Proshock I beleive. They look nice but there only a handful of new cars with them. I am sure they are going to be fine, the more people drive the better they will be able to judge the new shocks. Shocks and springs are like engines you can have good low dollar engine that will do the job or spend a ton on performance parts. ( a 390 FE vs a 427 side-oiler).

Rick

KrAzEcJ
September 1st, 2004, 10:56 AM
Rick, Proshock has some neat caculators to play around with. http://www.proshocks.com/calcs/index.htm

Unique 4279459

gasman
September 1st, 2004, 08:11 PM
Rick, This is really good information. I'm willing to bet this is an area we could all stand to improve with. Thanks for testing and posting to keep us in the loop.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

pgermond
September 1st, 2004, 09:14 PM
I'll follow this topic with interest (nice avatra clay [8D])

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Brent
September 2nd, 2004, 12:09 PM
[B)] Originally posted by Eliminator:

[B)]"Shocks and springs are like engines you can have good low dollar engine that will do the job or spend a ton on performance parts. ( a 390 FE vs a 427 side-oiler). [B)]

Guess I better go to Walmart and get some Monroe-matics:D

Brent
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

KrAzEcJ
September 2nd, 2004, 12:29 PM
Hey! Did Rick just call my shocks cheap? LOLOLOLOLOLOL

PS: If I dont quit running into engine problems I won't
even be able to afford the Monroes Brent.

Unique 4279459

eliminator
September 3rd, 2004, 10:56 AM
Brent,

Go ahead and spend the extra dollar, get the Gabriel's:D:D.

I think both of you know what I mean:):)

Rick

spd4me
September 3rd, 2004, 01:08 PM
eliminator
What are you going to do with your old carrera's. Are they adjustable (you know with the 3 triangles to select from)? I need one.
Bob

eliminator
September 4th, 2004, 11:01 AM
The front shocks and springs are for sale. I have sold the rear springs and shocks.

Rick

KrAzEcJ
September 4th, 2004, 11:32 AM
Got a call from Charlie at Unique this morning. My shocks that we were waiting for came in. That was the last thing we were waiting for and monday I'l be picking her up. Rick, after you get the best spring/shock combo you can then help me with mine! lol

Unique 4279459

eliminator
September 6th, 2004, 07:57 AM
Took the car out Saturday with just the front shocks and spring change and YES there is a difference. The new rear shocks will be in Wednesday so I am going to install them before Pigen Forge. What a great place to test the whole new package.

Rick

homer
December 4th, 2004, 08:22 AM
I am thinking of a front shock swap as well. With my ride height set to 3" or so to the oil pan my the springs on the front end are compressed to about 1/2" at rest -- not too much travel and the cause I believe of the front end pop I posted in another thread -- I believe the standard spring rate unique uses is 325#. Has anyone swapped out the std spring for a 350# or 375# and had an improvement?

Jerry Cowing
December 5th, 2004, 02:50 PM
Jerry Rowley changed his springs to stronger springs, 350#, I believe, and he liked them.

Jer

eliminator
December 6th, 2004, 05:31 AM
When I changed everything I installed 350# on the front with the FE engine. I personally like them a lot better than the 325# spring I had on the car. I can see how 375# would be good if your driving style was in the aggresive mode. The new shock and spring package is really nice. On our Fall cruise I put 335 miles on the car in one day and the ride and handling were up to my expectations.

Rick

gasman
December 14th, 2004, 07:36 PM
Rick, I'm in the process of rebuilding the front end. As you recall, the left front spring was completely compressed. We thought this was to compensate for the 2 - 1/4" plates bolted under the right rear shock tower. After removing the plates and pulling the springs it was easy to see what was going on. The 300# spring on the left was completely compressed and cracked. The left front spring was 3/4" shorter than the right spring. The ride height looks good with the 375# hypercoil. Are you still happy with the Bilstein's?

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

clayfoushee
December 14th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Yes Rick, you promised some info on an appopriate shock spring package since you weren't happy. Inquiring minds would like to know. The ordeal with Steve's car has been quite intriguing, and I'm now totally confused.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

eliminator
December 15th, 2004, 05:29 AM
I am totally satisfied with the Billstein Shocks and the Hypercoil Springs. I would do it over again in a heartbeat. I just like the monotube shock better. There is no doubt about it the Hypercoil springs are better,they are involved in all types of Racing, a chromed spring is not good. The chroming process changes the characteristics of the spring and they are not consistant. The Hypercoil springs are all powder coated blue, no big deal, Cardnial Red is preferred.
I took Ralph Scott for a ride not too long ago and he said he could tell the difference. We only went on a 15 mile ride. I like the 350# springs in the front and 325# in the rear. Steve I havn't tried the 375# so I don't know how they would be. It's a costly process but I had good luck selling the original front Carerra's on eBay ($200.00) and my rear shocks went to a good home for a person on this site. So I recovered some of the cost of the upgrade. Also Jim Highland the Billstein Area Manager was very helpful, he lives in GA.

Rick

gasman
December 15th, 2004, 06:29 AM
Thanks Rick, How do I contact him? Also, a part number would be helpful. Selling my shocks and springs on ebay isn't an option unless someone has a market for scrap metal. The springs on my car look like they have 100,000 miles, all of those mile logged at Riverside. Hypercoil is absolutely the way to go on a performance car. I'm going to try the 325 on the rear.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

homer
December 15th, 2004, 06:33 AM
Silly question -- I presume the required spring length on the front end is the same 10" requirement on the rear?

eliminator
December 15th, 2004, 07:11 AM
Jim Hiland, Motorsports Sales, Krupp Bilstein of america
478-6279775
Unadilla, GA

Rick

gasman
December 15th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Thanks Rick, Jim is having the shocks made and indicated I would have them in a few weeks. I'm excited, he said I will not recognize the car they are so different.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

homer
December 17th, 2004, 05:07 PM
I spoke to alan and went another direction to upgrade the front end springs -- Unique has switched to pro shocks -- I am going with a 350# 11" spring on the front end vs the 300# 10" that is standard. With the FE in the car the 300# springs were bottoming out.

eliminator
April 13th, 2005, 06:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by gasman

Thanks Rick, How do I contact him? Also, a part number would be helpful. Selling my shocks and springs on ebay isn't an option unless someone has a market for scrap metal. The springs on my car look like they have 100,000 miles, all of those mile logged at Riverside. Hypercoil is absolutely the way to go on a performance car. I'm going to try the 325 on the rear.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

Very Intresting[:O]
Scrap Metal has a high value these days;).

Rick

gasman
April 13th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Deleted and apologized to Rick.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

nolastyankee
April 13th, 2005, 08:03 PM
I sure hope this is a good natured barb between friends...I really want to believe this site is a step in civility above Club Cobra! Please, say it is so!

Brian Carlson

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

clayfoushee
April 13th, 2005, 09:35 PM
So would I.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

gasman
April 14th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Brian, Point well taken and I'll apologize in advance for my comment directed toward Rick and to those not appreciating it. It does appear to me that the motive for pulling up this thread was less than pure. I never represented my springs were in good shape. The interest shown by some people on another thread was in my used shocks, not springs. Everyone expressing interest was advised the springs were in need of replacement.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

eliminator
April 14th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Friends and or other Unique owners don't need this,:(.

Rick