PDA

View Full Version : New Member Lot's of Questions

allen63
September 4th, 2004, 11:43 AM
I am hoping to become a cobra owner very soon. I have been thinking about buying one for a couple of years, but I really have become serious this summer and I sold my 1968 hurst olds 2 weeks ago to help finance the project. I miss "thursty" a lot, but it will be worth it to join you guys as a cobra owner. I like unique's cobra a lot and I am hoping to find one. I really like the friendly nature of the the unique family of owners and this websight.
I have hundreds of questions and I haven't really even decided on new or used yet, so if anyone could offer advice on new versus used it would be great and to help keep this semi short I will only ask a few questions to start with about used cobras. It seems like I could find one used a lot less expensive than buying a new one. I am more of an authenticity type than a big horsepower guy and I think unique's cobra looks like the real one more than some of the other replicas. Unfortunately, haven't seen a unique in person yet.
I really like the aluminum engine compartment panels, if I buy a used cobra, how difficult would it be to add them? Can the panels be purchased from unique?
I also went and looked at an older era in ohio a week ago, it wasn't in as good of shape as I was hoping so I didn't buy it. It had a 4 speed top loader in it and was difficult to drive. The owner said they are all like that, but I hoping to hear differently from you guys. Basically I am 6'2" and I wasn't tall enough to push in the clutch far enough to shift the car with the ball of my foot. You had to push it with the tops of your toes and after a few minutes it was killing my foot. Is this normal? Is there any chance of my 5'2" wife driving a unique?
I am heading over to the auburn car auction to look around
so I won't go on any further. I don't want to set any longest post records on my first try. Thanks a lot for your help, Allen

clayfoushee
September 4th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Welcome Allen.....good choice, and you will find lot's of help and friendly advice here.

1) I really don't want to offer advice on buying new vs. used. This is a question with a lot of trade-offs. But, buying new certainly does give you a lot of opportunities to do things your way that would be considerably more difficult than buying used, which I did.

2) A good toploader, properly built is as smooth as silk. Obviously there were some issues, and the situation you saw was not normal. Either the clutch or the trannie, itself, had something out of spec.

3) Unique driver side seats are usually on adjustable seat tracks, and your wife should be able to drive it if the seats are properly mounted. I'm 6'2" and fit just fine.

4) The aluminum bay engine parts would be difficult to add on a fully built car. You'd need to remove the engine and probably master cylinders, etc.

5) Unique stacks up in value with the best Cobra fiberglass replica manufacturers (including ERA), and is far higher in quality and authenticity than most.

6) Whether you buy new or used, spare parts are just a phone call away by calling the Weavers. On at least one occasion, I had a leaking gas tank in a 98 car, and was leaving for a big event in 2 days. The Weavers found me a new tank and overnighted it, so that I had it less than 24 hrs. after the phone call. This experience is common and can easily be confirmed by most people on this site.

7) Customer service from Unique is the BEST in the industry!

8) If you do searches on this site, you'll find extremely high quality digital photos and instructions on virtually every part of the build. These pictures and "how to" posts are from some of the very best Cobra builds I've ever seen. 4 of these Uniques built within last couple of years have been on the cover of, or featured in, national kit car magazines with in the last 5 months.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (454-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

brfutbrian
September 4th, 2004, 02:36 PM
allen, im 6 ft, the first ERA i sat in i couldnt even find the pedals without almost laying down off the seat. thats just a matter of seat location by the builder. seat tracks can be added to stock seats. when you say new,is that turn key or a build. if your thinking used, as a start id look for a car with the modified front suspension that came out several years back. later, brian

ralphscott
September 4th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Allen, There are guys of all sizes that drive Uniques. I put sliders in my car when I built it makes it easier for me to get in and out and my wife to drive it. Clay is on target with the respones to your questions. I built mine 'cause I wanted to do the build and put myself into it. If I was not such a project kinda guy I would have purchased one, new or used. The cars are great to work-on there are so many upgrades you can do if you choose to so the car really becomes a wonderful hobby. But the bottom line is the car is rock solid. As you browse the threads you will see a lot of individual interest in making and adding refinements to the car. Another real advantage of the Unique Forum. I don't know where Rochester is located but we do have members on the forum in KY and IN.

Ralph

gasman
September 4th, 2004, 04:48 PM
Allen, Let me add my welcome and address two of your questions. I bought used and paid about 14K less than the previous owner had invested. I also learned that the car had issues that were unknown when purchased. The clutch and pressure plate failed within a few months and the motor used an inordinate amount of oil from day one. I pulled the motor and it is being rebuilt as I write. None of these issues bothered me. These are high performance cars that need CONSTANT attention. I wanted to add aluminum panels to my engine compartment while the motor was out. Alan Weaver said it would probably be easier to build a new car from scratch than to add the panels to an assembled car. I don't think you can go wrong with new or used. I do not regret buying used.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

pgermond
September 4th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Allen,

Welcome! Looks like you got your first volley of questions answered, with maybe one exception - new or used.... depends :D When I started in earnest looking at cars friends said, "Buy one used, then you can just drive it." Yeah, I suppose, but sooner or later (probably sooner) it is going to need some attention, cause $hit happens. I decided to build, because then it would be "my car", good or bad. I started down the FFR route and quickly changed my mind. I only saw one Unique, but after attending a replica show and seeing the other manufactures, my mind was made up. I didn't even discover this forum until after I had sent in my deposit!

No regrets, whatsoever. The Weaver's are second to none in the customer service and helpful department and, as was said previously, the car is rock solid. And, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to put one together - if you have worked on cars in the past, it is a heck of a lot of fun.

There - how's that for an answer? ;)

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

allen63
September 4th, 2004, 11:22 PM
Thanks a lot for such good and thorough answers to my first group of questions. I knew you guys would be a lot of help. The auburn show was pretty much car heaven. I saw at least 10 cobras. csx 2557(a competition 289)was there and I spent a lot of time with it.It was awesome! I wanted to just lay down on the ground next to it and take a nap with it. It had a really cool mph gauge, the cobra emblem was on it really small (about 1/2 inch diameter). It looked old and original. Has anyone seen one of those?
There was also csx 4001R. It was bid unsuccessfully to 300K. There was a continuation coupe that was beautiful also. Unfortunately no uniques were there.
It looks like if I buy a used one, the aluminum panels won't work out. That is good to know ahead of time. Score one for buying new. What year did the modified front suspension come into use? Isn't there a rear suspension upgrade also that makes it adjustable? Right now I have my eye on two used unique cobras, one 427 and one 289, unfortunately both are far away.. I really would like to keep this purchase at or under $40k. So I don't know if I could afford a new one without financing part of it and bringing on the wrath of the wife. I don't think I could build anything less than the deluxe pallet kit, and then adding options, paint, wheels and drivetrain to that adds up $$ quickly.
What are some other cobra specific things to ask a seller about when buying a used unique? Thanks again for all the help, Allen (Rochester is 40 miles south of south bend)

clayfoushee
September 5th, 2004, 12:15 AM
Allen,

Even though the used replica Cobra market is somewhat saturated, you usually get what you pay for. In August '03, I payed way much more for a 98 Unique than your stated ceiling, but it was for a car with a very sweet, 427FE side-oiler, and those usually command a higher price tag. It's been pretty much trouble free, other than the gas tank issue I mentioned earlier.

My brother (Gasman) got a much "better deal" on an '02 Unique with a 427, but he's had to put extra money in it to make up for the original buyer/builder's lack of expertise and the shortcuts he took. He also spent more than your stated top-end, and got a good deal, but it just wasn't the steal we originally thought it might be. So, the moral of this story is that you never really know what you're getting unless you have a pre-owned car evaluated by a true expert. Sounds like you already experienced that with the ERA you looked at.

I would say, generally speaking, you'd steal it if you got a really good Cobra for under $40K with no issues. You sure can't build a good one new one for that. I'd even be so bold to say, they don't really exist at that price in this quality zone....sure FFR's with 302's, but not the more period-correct cars. Yes, you might see other types for that price, but they are either not very well built, are cheaper replicas, or they have other "issues." Maybe you'll get lucky and the owner is desparate to sell. Nonetheless, if you're handy and can take care of "issues" yourself, you might still make out alright.

As to the front end and suspension, mine's a 98, and has the new front end, and the rear suspension is adjustable. I'm not sure when the upgprade happened, but the Weavers can tell you with a phone call.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

brfutbrian
September 5th, 2004, 08:17 AM
allen, if youre planning on a build with you doing a majority of the work, 40k will get you a pretty respectable car. i built a 2001 with an FE (428 cj), with everything exactly the way i wanted, in no way a budget build, for 44k. later, brian

allen63
September 5th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Here is a little more specific info about what I am looking for so you guys can let me know if I am on the right track.
If either of these used or new scenarios are too far off, I may have to return to cobra hibernation until my wife becomes a nurse next spring.
If I go with a new unique I would want to order a viking blue 289fia with the aluminum panels. If I budget 24k for the kit, then add 5k for options,3k for wheels,5k for paint, and 10k for drivetrain, that would be 47k.
As far as a used cobra goes, I know that I won't be able to afford a 427so. But a 428 would be fine with me. The era I drove had a 428 and it was incredibly powerful. I know pictures can lie, but the two unique cars I have found right now look beautiful and and are priced mid 30's. Both owners have owned the cars for awhile, enjoyed them, and want to move on to other projects. I just need to be able to learn more about uniques so that I can determine if they might be of good qualty and right for me. I am sure whatever I do get I will continue to improve it as I go. I don't plan on racing my cobra, just enjoying the country roads around here(about 99% of the time under the speed limit). I hope this helps you to help me, Allen

clayfoushee
September 5th, 2004, 11:57 AM
Alan, it's certainly possible.

But, you'd need to check everything out very carefully. It's doubtful that either of those cars is "perfect" but that's OK, and if they've been driven alot you have to expect wear and tear. Perhaps you could give us more info on the Uniques you looked at. It's likely someone here knows of the cars. What was the asking price on the ERA?

Clay

Annapolis, MD

Russ Dickey
September 5th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Alan:
I got really lucky and got a completed '97 viking blue Unique 289 FIA for $33K in June of last year. I found it on www.CobraCountry.com. Powerplant is a mild 351W w/Tremec 3550 behind. Car had 2700 miles, and only very minor issues that I have straightened out over time. But these issues were nothing that kept me away from the car shows and race track, and the car now has 7000 miles on it.

Mine had lots of Unique options, but didn't come with the aluminum engine bay panels. If I switch motors this winter, I might try and install them.

My point being, if you're patient enough and search all the different avenues, you might just get a heck of a deal on your dream car...

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/Russ Dickey/16049Russ_Cobra1-med.jpg

Unique 289FIA - Viking Blue

brfutbrian
September 5th, 2004, 02:21 PM
allen, a call to the weavers can get you some history on the two cars. they can probably put you in touch with someone locally so you can get a look at a car up close and make your own judgements. im sure youll be pleased. later, brian

souzape
September 5th, 2004, 02:51 PM
Allen- we all approach these cars differently. I bought a new 289 car and completed it with about $37,000 invested. Used a 351 Cleveland from Southern Automotive in front of a toploader (also from SA). Had custom PS Engineering wheels made up for about $1700.00 and paid $1,500 for the paint (I did lots of grunt work myself but had it professionally shot). My intent was to build a driver. Can't say enough good things about the Weavers- you will think you're part of a great family if you buy from them.

Man, that little car puts a smile on my face every time I go for a ride. You'll love it!
Phil Souza
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/souzape/DSC00327.JPG

jhaynie
September 5th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Buying used is not a bad thing. Mine was one year old and believe or not I paid the guy about $20-25,000 less than he spent having it built. It was probably one of the better deals on a used Unique. I guess its that way with most of the replicas. Kind of like buying a classic car someone just restored, usually they will take a bath on it.

John

Unique 289FIA #9367
351W Fuel Injected

gasman
September 5th, 2004, 06:58 PM
John is right. Not to be redundant but even though my car was built by someone else, I paid a lot less for it than the original owner had invested. Looking at your line item budget, I'd have to say you might be low on the drive train.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

clayfoushee
September 5th, 2004, 07:11 PM
Yes low for an FE, but you're probably OK w/ a small-block such as the 351W. Even with a mild Windsor, it's probably still more power than you'll ever "need."

Heck, you can buy a brand new 351w crate engine from Ford Racing starting at $2600, and a 500HP 460 starting at $5795.

Clay

Annapolis, MD

souzape
September 5th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Allen- $10K might be low for a full boogie big block (FE) drivetrain but not for a small block FIA type.

Phil S.

allen63
September 5th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Thanks again everyone, this is great info. It looks like I can move ahead either way used or new at close to my budget. I know used won't get me a perfect car, but if I stay patient(hard to do)I think I can find one I will be happy with. If i go new it looks like a couple of you guys have built your car's under what I was even thinking it would be.
Phil, did you start with a deluxe pallet kit or do more of the work yourself? Your car looks great.
Russ, your car is exactly what I am hoping to find and at the price range I was hoping to find also. Thanks for posting the picture also. This gives me confidence.
Brian, I am going to take your advice and call the weavers on tuesday. $44k built just the way you wanted sounds great to me also.
Steve, I wasn't really sure about the drivetrain numbers. I went from southern's websight for the 302 with 405 hp for $7.5k and the toploader with the shifter kit for $1.6k. That is a little over $9k and I might have shipping and some authenticising items added to that. Are there any other costs I might be excluding?
Clay, the red 289 was on cobracountry (the second add from the bottom) but he just emailed me and it sold thursday. The era is on clubcobra's for sale page. I think on the second page now, his name on there is ogasman. It is $30k. I will give it credit, it ran great. No rattles or squeaks and it went over the bumps and around the curves really smooth. It needed a complete paint job, it had a fuel cell that you had to fill up in the trunk and not hooked up to the gas gauge as well. The temp gauge wasn't working either. The carpet was frayed and the sidepipes needed redone. The engine compartment was o.k. but not as clean as I was hoping. I think it was raced pretty hard at some point. I figured I would end up putting a lot into it and for a car that old (1981) I would lose a lot if I wanted to sell it sometime down the road. Thanks again for all your help and advice, Allen

souzape
September 6th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Allen- I started with a deluxe pallet kit. Phil S.