PDA

View Full Version : 'Nother new member, just a couple of questions

marco427
September 5th, 2004, 05:22 AM
I'm in the latter stages of the agonizing decision process related to getting into a Cobra replica. The Unique 289 FIA is definitely on my short list, but I do have an issue or two. First, my wife, who is 5'3" would like to be able to drive the car. She did drive CSX 3121 on occasion, but to be able to reach the pedals, had to pad the seatback with a good sized pillow. In that configuration, the shifter for the 10 bolt TC trans was way behind her, which made for some interesting contortions for gear changing. Has anyone found a seat position/pedal/shifter combo that could work for her, as well as for a regular size person (5'10")?

Second, how well does the chassis handle relative to other replicas (ERA, Superformance)? Have any of you southern guys done track days at Road Atlanta, and if so, what lap times were you running. I've heard a negative comment or two about the front suspension compared to the upper/lower A arm setup on my old Cobra. Does Unique's optional front system work significantly better?

Thanks!

clayfoushee
September 5th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Marco,

I don't have a basis for comparison on the suspension, but the seat w/ adjustable tracks should be no issue.

I'm sure the Weavers would be able to give you a dissertation on the suspension. Lee Dahmer has significant track experience in his Unique and might also help. Try giving him a call at (703) 404-0663. He's also a builder who's worked on them all (ERA, SPF, CSX).

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (454-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

gasman
September 6th, 2004, 05:35 AM
Polo, sorry, but somebody had to do it.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389