PDA

View Full Version : front end pop

homer
September 12th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Does anyone have a fix for the front end popping noise that occurs when going over a bumpy road -- I have greased the fittings on the front end but still have the popping sound -- any suggestions would be appreciated.

casaleenie
September 13th, 2004, 06:29 AM
Damn Homer... What the hell did you buy?????[B)]

AL

spd4me
September 13th, 2004, 06:49 AM
homer
Does it sound like a popcorn pop or a cap gun pop? Just kidding. It could be a part of the body or fender well binding against the front suspension or coil spring as the car moves up and down.
bob

casaleenie
September 13th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Just found the nut missing on the passenger side hood bracket.
I'm going to take some "pre-emtive popping noise" measures tomorrow.
(how do you spell preemptive?) [B)]

AL

Poorboy
September 13th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Al, Preemptive (Webster's) You had it right[8D]

rdorman
September 14th, 2004, 05:35 AM
Replace them with the nylon locking nuts. Any time you find one loose, replace with these and forget about it. Unless of course it is a high heat application and then use jet nuts or safety wire. Grade five is fine for anything not holding the drivetrain or suspension in place (or in side of them), eight for higher loads and AN/MS for those really critical parts. ALWAYS use a washer. Lock washer are for childrens toys;)

Homer, I personally have not had that experience. Try and locate the noise as best as possible. Look for anything loose, check the suspension for binding (remove shock and run though travel).
Rick