PDA

View Full Version : CJ's motor

KrAzEcJ
September 16th, 2004, 04:30 AM
Got the short block finished up last nite and will add some more pictures of it assembled when I get home from work. Since I changed cams anddistributor I did a test install and all the clearances checked out. The cam gear and dist. gear meshed at the same elevation and the cam turned easily.

Next I put in the ARP main stud kit (my first, I've always have used bolts)and what a pain in the rear! I didnt realize until reading the included directions that you have to torque and loosen them 5 times to get the preload and stretch correct. At 105 ft/lbs per stud 5 times each I had to rest after that exercise and have a cold one lol.

Now that the studs,main bearings, crank, and caps were in and torqued next came the piston install. Since my rotating assembly is balanced each piston-rod combo has its own bore and my machinist stamped every rod cap and rod so they could be easily matched up.

I did one final check on all the ring gaps and installed the rod bearings and layed out the pistons in order for ease of installing them. No need to recheck bores because as soon as I got back from the machine shop I mic'd everyone of them and their relative bores. I have to say David from Caroll's machine did a great job.

All pistons went in without a hitch and I will post some more pictures of the short block and the rest of the motor assembly for those that are interested.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/KrAzEcJ/arp bolts.JPG

Unique 4279459

Brent
September 16th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Looking good man!!

I love the 429/460 wedges. That motor will sound completely different through the pipes than a FE. We will hear you coming.

This goes along with another thread, however, it worked for me on my last 460. Just behind the timing gear on the camshaft there is a threaded oil galley plug. I drilled a .020 hole in it at an angle and pointed it at the cam gear. It also sprayed oil on the chain as well. Easy to do and the wear on the cam gear went away.

Brent
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

ralphscott
September 16th, 2004, 11:12 AM
CJ this will add a new dimension to the term "Rolling Thunder" Ditto Brent on the looking good!

Ralph

KrAzEcJ
September 16th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the tip Brent! Speaking of tips Brent, I know you like the 385's so you might have heard of this. Have you ever heard of the 2 oil gallery plugs on each side of cam plug causing problems because the factory plugs are tapered and not flat? From what I've been told by 385 series builders is that some machine shops are not as familiar with Ford BB's and uknowingly replace these factory tapered plugs with flat ones and then thread them in and then the oil flow is restricked. I checked mine and they are still the factory tapered ones but I had never heard of it before.

Unique 4279459

Brent
September 16th, 2004, 11:51 AM
CJ,
Thats a new one on me [?] Good info! Thanks.

The main journals are sooooo big on a 460 they require ALOT of oil when turning RPM out of them. We would drill and tap the mains and install allen plugs with restrictor holes to keep the oil on the crank. We would also bore the lifter holes and sleve them with smaller oil holes to also keep more oil on the crank. Here is an old post of her.
http://www.uniquecobra.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=197&SearchTerms=LAMB

Brent
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

KrAzEcJ
September 16th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Vert nice Brent! I bet you did have a blast driving that thing even if it was for only a few seconds at a time.
Well I just made it home, time to change clothes and get back to work on the motor. Time for the heads!

Unique 4279459

ralphscott
September 16th, 2004, 04:50 PM
Beautiful Brent first class job. Is that your current garage at home? If it is it looks great!

Ralph

gasman
September 16th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Brent, I thought I knew my cars, but couldn't recognize your old dragster. I thought you were a Ford guy but that looked like a Charger body? As Phil would say, Whazat?

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

pgermond
September 16th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Waz what? :D You guys obviously know what you are doing - can't wait to see the finished product [:P]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Jim Harding
September 17th, 2004, 05:12 AM
[quote]Originally posted by gasman

I thought you were a Ford guy but that looked like a Charger body?

-----

Probe maybe?

Jim Harding
La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004
http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/albums/album26/1aLeftside.thumb.jpg

Brent
September 17th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Jim, You got it!

1990 Ford Probe. weight= 2050lbs full of fuel
Motorsport block
Crower billet crank and rods
4.500 bore
4.500 stroke
572 ci
16-1 comp.
.848 lift roller
Motorsport C-series heads (almost 500 cfm on the intake)

1059 HP with a single 1400 cfm methanol Dominator. Never dynoed the motor with the injection, sold the car first.
The car was set up for 1/8 mile quick 8 racing. We never made a 1/4 mile pass, however, it ran a 4.72 @ 144 mph in the 1/8 mile.

Brent
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

KrAzEcJ
September 17th, 2004, 07:27 AM
I didnt get much done last nite. I had just got started installing the Melling oil pump and Canton pickup when the power went out. HELP! lol it was pitch black down in my concrete dungeon and had to have the wife come get me with a flashlight. Powerwas still out this morning when I left for work. Try again tonight.

Unique 4279459

KrAzEcJ
September 17th, 2004, 05:03 PM
Got a little more done today. I finished installing the oil pump and pickup along with the windage tray. Sealed up the bottom end and put the pan inplace. Got the CJ's torqued down and installed the lifters and pushrods and ajusted the roller rockers.

I went ahead and did a test run on Maurice's headers before they get sent to Jett-Hot, and Alan tell him for me that he did a outstanding job!
http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/KrAzEcJ/DSC00143.JPG

Unique 4279459

eliminator
September 20th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Brents motor seems to be a "" square "".
Looking good, CJ.

Rick

KrAzEcJ
December 2nd, 2004, 08:26 PM
Hey Brent I'm sure you know what I mean when I say its often hard to find some parts for the 385 series motors and custom timing pointers are just one them. You cant even order a stock one from Ford anymore and must head to the local junkyards and search for one. Then when you find one its made out of sheet metal and looks likes old Fido's A** to boot. Well after searching high and low and posting questions in forums including a 385 series forum a fellow 460 fan took pity on me and the others who chimed in that they wanted a aluminum billet piece just like the Chevy guys can get, he with his cnc machine made them for us and they look great. Mine just came in and the wife sent me a pic. Tell me if this looks 10 times better than what we use to have to use! lol

Unique 4279459http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/KrAzEcJ/new.jpg

Brent
December 3rd, 2004, 04:36 AM
CJ,

That is very nice. A shame it is not mounted on the top of the motor for all to see.

How is everything else coming?

Brent
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

KrAzEcJ
December 3rd, 2004, 05:13 AM
Getting close to having this Arizona job behind me. My last day out here is Dec.17th, so I'm getting close to getting out of here and back home where I can actually make some progress on the car.

Unique 4279459

KrAzEcJ
February 3rd, 2005, 05:26 PM
Since I've been home I've been able to start back to work on the Cobra, after taking care of a huge list of honey do's of course. lol
Figured I would post an up to date photo of the engine progress. It comes off the stand this weekend for the roller pilot bearing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate assembly. Another pic soon to follow!

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/KrAzEcJ/engine.JPG

Unique 4279459

clayfoushee
February 3rd, 2005, 05:38 PM
Lookin' good CJ........welcome home!

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

ralphscott
February 3rd, 2005, 06:04 PM
Beautiful CJ. BTW looks like you are using the same socket holders I use (Craftsman). I touched mine up with a sharpie to see the socket sizes easier. Cool

Ralph

gasman
February 4th, 2005, 08:23 PM
CJ, WOW!

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

Brent
February 5th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Super, Super nice.

Love those 385s.

Brent
427 SC Chassis #4279401
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

will butterworth
February 7th, 2005, 01:08 PM
now, that is a pretty engine,saw some pretty engines at dutton,s today at lunchtime.Has a nice shop , cleaner than my basement.Will-alabama

KrAzEcJ
February 21st, 2005, 03:29 PM
Anyone using a hydraulic throughout bearing setup? Im trying to figure out the best way to fab a cover plate for the pivot arm hole since Lakewood doesnt make one for my setup. All I've ever seen are uncovered ones with the lines coming out. Guess I'l brake some aluminum and see what I can come up with unless you guys have a better idea.

Unique 4279459

ralphscott
February 22nd, 2005, 04:11 AM
CJ I am using one I left the hole open and my hydraulic line and bleed line go through it. No problems.

Ralph

eliminator
February 22nd, 2005, 05:43 AM
CJ,

Why do you want to close the hole?
I am sure a little cool air wont hurt the clutch and pressure plate.
Also a great place for the clutch dust to escape.

Rick

KrAzEcJ
February 22nd, 2005, 06:52 AM
quote:Originally posted by eliminator

CJ,

Why do you want to close the hole?
I am sure a little cool air wont hurt the clutch and pressure plate.
Also a great place for the clutch dust to escape.

Rick

I dont know, it just looks funny to me and I'm worried that some of the critters that Will spoke of, might take up residence in there. LOLOL

Unique 4279459

KrAzEcJ
February 22nd, 2005, 10:45 AM
David Kee's new aluminum toploader just arrived. I'l post a few more pics when I get
it uncrated and installed. Gotta get to work!

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/KrAzEcJ/AlumToploader1.JPG

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/KrAzEcJ/Toutbearing.JPG

Unique 4279459

brfutbrian
February 22nd, 2005, 02:04 PM
cj, nice toploader! bet that cost a couple bucks. enjoy. later, brian

KrAzEcJ
February 22nd, 2005, 02:20 PM
Shifter installation and linkage done, now where did I put that gear oil? lol Btw Brian it was only a couple hundred $ more than the cast.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/KrAzEcJ/shifter1.JPG

Unique 4279459

brfutbrian
February 22nd, 2005, 02:24 PM
cj, thats not bad at all. brian.

Brent
February 22nd, 2005, 03:59 PM
CJ, I wish you never joined this site. A 385 motor and an aluminum toploader )-:

You are making me regret every choice I made when I built mine.

That set-up is AWESOME!

Nice Job

Brent
427 SC Chassis #4279401
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

KrAzEcJ
February 22nd, 2005, 04:14 PM
Thanks for the compliment Brent, that means alot from someone that has a Cobra as beautiful as yours. Hopefully I'l be ready for next years homecoming with my car. Being out of state for nearly 5 months killed me for this year. I was feeling a little sorry for myself and thinking of not coming this year but came to my senses, its not just about the cars its all the great people that will be there and the more I get to meet the better. Theres a good chance my chasis will be there anyway to get a little header work done so you will get to see what I have gotten done so far.

Unique 4279459

ralphscott
February 22nd, 2005, 06:59 PM
Beautiful CJ too bad you don't have a see thru transmission tunnel to show it off. Oh Oh did I just hear Brent heading out to the garage? :D

Ralph

pgermond
February 22nd, 2005, 08:17 PM
CJ, Very nice....... no, very, very nice. As was stated - you should install a glass bottom tunnel and firewall [:P]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

KrAzEcJ
February 23rd, 2005, 03:40 PM
I'm having a few clearance issues with the lakewood bellhousing. Iknow some of you have said you trimmed some off the bottom for some extra clearance, looks like I will be trimming off the edge around the starter so it wont be hitting into the frame. I'm going to squeeze as much as I can out of it to give a little extra room for the motor torque.

Allan I know you used the lakewood on the other 460 you had in the shop. Did you run into the same problem?http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/KrAzEcJ/noclearance.JPG

Unique 4279459

Brent
February 23rd, 2005, 05:01 PM
The 460 bellhousing is a lot larger than the FE. I am sure you are on the righ track with what you are doing. Caroll never intended for such a beast to go in a Cobra (-:

Brent
427 SC Chassis #4279401
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

clayfoushee
February 24th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Very nice CJ.........can't wait to see it.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

weaver
February 25th, 2005, 06:29 AM
CJ, I don't remember if I had a clearance problem or not, if I did I would have trimed some off the side like you said. Let us know when you want to bring your chassis over.

Alan

Brent
February 25th, 2005, 07:09 AM
CJ,
I was looking at your picture of the trimmed bellhousing and noticed how close to the frame it was.(at least it looks that way in the picture) With the torque your going to be making and the rubber motor and rubber trans mounts that baby will torque to the right quite a bit. You might want to open that clearence up a bit.

Brent
427 SC Chassis #4279401
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

KrAzEcJ
February 25th, 2005, 08:37 AM
I'l post a new pic Brent, that was just a first pass trim of 1/8 inch just allow me to instal the bellhousing so I could align the driveline so I could see how much I needed. With everything alligned I ended cuting another 3/8 for a little extra. Now I just need a little red paint and she will look good as new.

Alan I'l get it to you in A couple weeks so Maurice can have plenty of time to work on it because I know you guys are very busy right now. I thought picking it back up during home coming would be a good idea and at least the guys could look at what I've done so far.

Unique 4279459

Brent
February 25th, 2005, 09:11 AM
Glad to hear it will be at homecoming to see.

Brent
427 SC Chassis #4279401
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

KrAzEcJ
February 25th, 2005, 04:25 PM
I was able to squeeze out a 1/2 inch clearance on the starter bump-out on the bellhousing. I liked it so I went ahead and installed the tranny this afternoon. I did a quick check on ground clearance to see where I was at and from the bottom of the bellhousing to the floor I'm at 2 5/8 inches (gulp) I think I'l be trimming a little off the bottom of the bellhousing too! lol

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/KrAzEcJ/halfinch.JPG

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/KrAzEcJ/runninggear.JPG

Unique 4279459