PDA

View Full Version : Source for Jag rear-end bolts?

terrybieritz
September 22nd, 2004, 08:17 AM
Hi all...
Two of the special tapered bolts that hold the driver side of the rear-end to the differential sheared off. I'm not having any luck finding a source for these bolts.

Any recommendations?

Thanks very much.

Terry

Glenview289
September 22nd, 2004, 08:51 AM
Terry,
Try XKs Unlimited Online Store,in California. You can find them with a Google search. We bought the same parts from them early this year, although they did not have all of them in stock at the time. The front and rear bolts are different lengths because of the casting holding the pivit arm. Look out for shims behind the casting, these determine the camber of the wheels. I have more information at home, let me know if you need more help.

Bill

terrybieritz
September 22nd, 2004, 09:31 AM
Hi Bill...

Thanks for that information. Alan indicated he's sending some bolts. Regarding the shims, I check when I get home but I suspect they fell off when the parts broke. Is it reasonable I could use the same shim size that's on the passenger side? Thanks again.

Terry

will butterworth
September 22nd, 2004, 12:55 PM
does anyone have info. on shims that set preload on rear left wheel bearings ,replaced two sets in as many years.Left rear wheel bearing. thanks.Alabama.

nolastyankee
September 22nd, 2004, 03:55 PM
Terry,
Unfortunately the shims between the pivot and the casing are different from side to side and front to back. For example, we had four on rt rear, two on the rt front, one on the lt rear, and two on the lt front. They are different thicknesses too...(.005, .015)

My dad (Glenview289) made up the shims because they were $5 apiece from the Jag shop...A bit spendy for a square piece of .015.

Butch Capps advocates just throwing them out, but we elected to return to the 'stock' amount of shims. If you don't know what was there, I would get out the measuring square and try to figure out what you need. If there is no need to adjust for rear wheel toe in, the shims aren't needed.

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

terrybieritz
September 23rd, 2004, 08:36 AM
Thanks, Brian, for that information. The rearend is still on the ground and last night I couldn't make out if there were any shims on the passenger side. (the driver side bolts broke, releasing any shims) That will have to wait until I get the parts off the diff and can lift it to my bench.

nolastyankee
September 24th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Terry,
One more thought, if you don't have one, make absolutely sure that you get one of the 'tie plates' from Unique which goes on the bottom of the differential and ties together the suspension pivot arms. Using this plate there is eight additional bolts and structure to strengthen the whole pivot system instead of using only the bolts that you broke to tie the suspension arm to the diff. Only $50 but worth ten times the price in safety and disaster prevention.

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

terrybieritz
September 27th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Hi Brian...

I took the remainder of the rear-end apart over the weekend. Got that broken yoke out of the hub...so I'm pretty much ready for re-assembly. I have 4 of the special bolts on the way in addition to the "tie plate" from Unique. Should arrive mid-week.

The passenger side still had the shims installed. There were 3 on the front only...and they appear to be .005 each according to my lousy caliper. :-) No shims on the rear of that side. Without the necessary means to measure things accurately I'll probabaly just put .015 on the front of the driver side and call it good.

The thing that bothers me is the passenger-side plate attached to the differential was loose. The bolts easily wiggled with finger pressure...the safety wire kept them in place. My diff leaked initially and I suspect oil got in there and loosened up the works. I plan to replace the special bolts on the passenger side for safety. Butch recommended using Locktite, too. That tie plate will go a long way to preventing this in the future...for sure!

Thanks for the help.

Terry