PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Trim Ring Embarrassment

Nneits
September 28th, 2004, 02:33 PM
How the (insert your expletive of choice here) do you get the trim rings off Lucas headlights? :( I removed the screws, but I can't get either side to come off!! I pulled, I pried, I spun them, I cursed... Nothing worked. I've taken similar rings off in the past, and never had a problem. What gives?

My headlights are badly aimed (unless you're preparing to drive up a tree) and are annoying to oncoming drivers. I also want to install the old European code headlamps that I had in my GT350.

I wrestled with reality for forty years, and I am happy to state that I finally won out over it. -Elwood P. Dowd

weaver
September 29th, 2004, 05:56 AM
You have to pull out at the bottom and up towards the top, there is a lip at the top that it has to clear.

Alan

Nneits
September 29th, 2004, 08:53 AM
That's what I thought, but I couldn't make it work. The fit is very tight. I tried several ways to pull the bottom forward while holding the top steady, but I can only get about an eigth of an inch of movement before it binds up tight. I also tried pulling the ring off evenly, top and bottom, and that didn't work either. I tried spinning the ring while simultaneously pulling it forward, but that didn't work. It's as if the rings are binding on some part of the headlight bucket.

I even left the screw off the drivers side and drove around Saturday and Sunday hoping it would bounce or vibrate itself forward, but it hasn't moved at all. Very strange.

Any other ideas? I'm thinking slide hammer...

Ron

I wrestled with reality for forty years, and I am happy to state that I finally won out over it. -Elwood P. Dowd

Mike Geddes
September 29th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Try it the way Alan says, but at the same time try to
push in the sides.....try to make the ring go OVAL.
This will give you the clearance you need to get over the top lip.
It works every time for me.
Mike

Mike Geddes

Nneits
September 29th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Thanks Mike!! That's an excellent idea, and one that I haven't tried.

Ron