PDA

View Full Version : New owner questions

bstandley1
October 5th, 2004, 10:55 PM
I recently bought a Unique FIA from a local owner here in the Pacific NW. I've been happy with the car ... but am sorting out a few issues and looked to this forum for a little advice.

First,I replaced and balanced the tires (Hunter 9700) and had the front end aligned using the specs I found here. Still have some wheel shake at about 66-68 MPH. I read the thread about the Flaming River Vibration Dampener... has Unique actually started selling the install kit? I definitely interested. Also, while researching the alignment specs, I came across the recomendation to loosen the front sway bar after the alignment while the suspension is loaded. Do I just loosen the fasteners on the lower control arms then retighten? Also, my front end guy told me that the coil overs on the front had no locking mechanism on the adjustment plates... I'm thinking something is missing. Appreciate any of your advice.
Bob
351W

eliminator
October 6th, 2004, 06:00 AM
The Flaming River kit is available from Unique and will help take the vibration out of the steering wheel.
The sway bar is set at a neutral position after you have driven the car and the suspension settled. You should probably do this:
1. Jack the car up and loosen the sway bar adjustment bolts and the just snug them down.
2. Drive the car at least 25-40 miles.
3. Go under the car and loosen the sway bar adjusting bolts and take the bolt out of the vertical adjustment, the rod end. Then adjust the rod end so it is even with the sway bar eye and the bolt can easily be inserted. This is the neutral adjustment point. IMPORTANT this must be acomplished with the car on the ground after the suspension has settled. It's a little difficult the first time. Only one side needs adjusting as you are going to make it equal to the other side.
Tighten the adjustment nuts down and you are done. Front and rear adjust the same.
The Carerra shocks have no lock nut, they generally stay where you put them. Make an index mark on the adjusting nut so you will know if they are rotating.
You probably have tire issues with the type of tire we have to use if your using 15" rims. Only the clamp on weights inside and outside will balance most of these tires.

Rick

weaver
October 6th, 2004, 06:03 AM
Bob, your wheel shake is caused by the wheel balance, try balancing both sides of the wheel, weights on inside and outside of the wheel. We do sell a steering dampner but you may not need one. There is no lock for the shock adjustment, the weight of the car will hold the nut in place. Sorry I can't help on the sway bar deal.

Alan

JerryBP
October 6th, 2004, 10:07 AM
What Rick says is what you need to do to a swaybar on any car, what you are doing is removing any preload from the swaybar, just adjust one end so that the thru bolt will go in without having to put any pressure on the swaybar.
As to wheel shake, this type of suspension is much more sensitive and it is most likely a small out-of-balance problem, if the tires need more than an 1/2 ounce to balance they should put weights on both sides, if it takes more than 3 ounces to balance I would ask for another tire, also you might want to check the tires for runout or out of round, jack up the tire so that is just off the floor and spin it by hand and check the clearence to the floor and also look at the tread as you spin it to see if the tread runs true around the tire.
I use to sell tires and you wouldn't believe how many were out of round or that the tread wasn't true around the tire.

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550-2 5spd
Coal Black no Stripes by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio

casaleenie
October 6th, 2004, 06:43 PM
the only thing that ever worked for me was putting weights on both sides of the wheel. I tried everything and that's the only thing that worked...

AL

bstandley1
October 6th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Thanks for all of your help.... think I'm going to try rebalancing the wheels first (shop taped all the weights to the inside of the wheels) then readjust the front sway bar. If that doesn't do the trick, I'll be looking at the vibration dampener. Again, I really appreciate your help.

Bob

bstandley1
October 7th, 2004, 11:59 PM
To my helpful advisors...

I crawled under my car today and adjusted the front sway bar; A couple of tugs on the breaker bar and the fasteners came out. I adjusted the height on the adjustor and I think I'm good to go. I did learn a valuable lesson today... I forgot about the Quick Jack while exiting from beneath the front end and paid the price with a first class gash on my eyebrow ... live and learn. If the weather holds, I'll get the tires rebalanced tomorrow. Thanks again for you help.

Bob

ralphscott
October 8th, 2004, 04:04 AM
Bob, have you gotten your Cobra tattoo on your leg yet, (from the pipes)? Another lesson learned for some of us several times :D! Welcome to the Forum!

Ralph

Nneits
October 8th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Bob - which car did you get? The red FIA that was on Cobra Country?

I wrestled with reality for forty years, and I am happy to state that I finally won out over it. -Elwood P. Dowd

K.Wilson
October 8th, 2004, 09:56 AM
Bob,
Another thing you can do to help eliminate the stearing wheel "nibble" that you feel is to add a little more "toe-in" to your wheel allignment. Sometimes adding an addtitonal 1/16 to 1/8 inch of toe-in will eliminate the vibration from slightly out of balance or out of true tires.
The tire wear will increase but for as little as we drive these cars it really won't matter.
Keith

bstandley1
October 8th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Ron,

I did indeed buy the Red FIA that was on Cobra Country... BTW, I also owned a 1966 GT350 (Red) ... Bought it in 1969 ... had to sell it in 1971 (poverty)

Bob

clayfoushee
October 8th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Congrats Bob, and welcome! Who was the previous owner?

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

bstandley1
October 9th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Clay, the previous owner was Bob Parmenter of Maple Valley, Washington. He has quite a collection of custom hot rods and I saw a 426 Hemi sitting in his garage waiting for a home. He definitely has a need for speed!

Bob