PDA

View Full Version : Slow to ignite

pgermond
October 8th, 2004, 07:59 PM
Hey guys,

I haven't done any diagnostics yet because it has been a long week and I’m pooped, but earlier in the week when I had the car out I noticed something that has never happened before. This engine has fired every time on about a half revolution of the crank... just like clockwork. This week it took several revs to fire off, even after it was warm. Nothing has changed. I'm thinking it has to be ignition (because the fuel is plenty potent :D), so I'm planning on starting with the ignition system.

Anyone have a similar experience or thoughts before I get started?

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

clayfoushee
October 8th, 2004, 11:05 PM
Phil, my friend....just chill....relax, have another beer, and watch it over time. It could be as simple as fouled plugs, or it's slightly flooded when warm. Just get her started, wind it out bit. And then, repeat the same process over and over again. Don't ever touch that go pedal, upon starting, when the car is even slightly warm. Mine does the same thing every now and then.

"IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!!!!

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

eliminator
October 11th, 2004, 05:29 AM
Phil,
My first thought.
If you havn't changed plugs, its time!!
I ran Autolite last year AND CHANGED TO CHAMPIONS, what a mistake. Now its back to Autolite.
These engines need a plug change every year if you put at least 1,000 miles plus on them.
They will tell you real quick, hard to start, a miss at 4,500 RPM and up.

Rick

pgermond
October 11th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Thanks Rick. I believe your are right-on with your suggestion of checking the plugs. I was out in the foothills last night and experience a miss for the first time in first gear. I thought it might be the rev limiter kicking in, but when I looked at the tach I was only at 5k rpm.

1,800 miles, so it's probably time for some attention to details.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

rdorman
October 12th, 2004, 09:36 AM
I'll vote for the plugs (or even cap/rotor/wires) first. Also for the autolites. Darn good plug and cheap to.
Rick