PDA

View Full Version : what happen first

Rick
October 10th, 2004, 06:28 PM
After only 112 miles on my engine it blew off the steel braied line. "prinary the one from the engine to the filter. The steel line was tore off " from pressure" it didn't just blow off. After shuting down. I looked at the dip stick to see if I had any oil. I did very little and i also had metal shaving in the oil. So what does everone think.
I called Dan at Dutton perforance who built the engine. Dan was very nice he asked me to pull the engine and bring it back and he would take a look at it to see what happened. "we'll see"

I thank maybe the shaving stoped up the filter or may be the check valve.

Ricky A. Carter

pbrown
October 10th, 2004, 06:33 PM
Check your plumbing. You may have had the filter flow backwards. The filter only flows one way - in the side and out the center.

--Patrick

Patrick
---------------------------------------------
17.5K in the Cobra fund - I'm getting closer.

Brent
October 11th, 2004, 04:41 AM
Bummer,

It could be metal shavings that caused the filter to malfunction or plumbing issues. It is VERY easy to install the cooler/filter lines backwards. Did you prime the motor in the car? What pressure did the motor have at idle and part throttle?

Sorry man!!

Brent
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

GeorgiaSnake
October 11th, 2004, 05:24 AM
My guess is that it was plumbed wrong. I think the oil filter has a bypass valve if it gets clogged. It could be the connections on the line ends were not correct. Good luck and keeps us informed.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Poorboy
October 11th, 2004, 06:28 AM
The fitting or line must have been installed wrong or defective. I don't believe your oil pump would be capable of enough pressure to blow it apart.

gasman
October 11th, 2004, 08:34 AM
What a nightmare. Sorry to hear you had it.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

clayfoushee
October 11th, 2004, 08:37 AM
Very sorry to hear that Rick. Must have been some kind of pressure to blow that line off, but I hope it's not catastrophic.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

weaver
October 11th, 2004, 10:38 AM
You don't have enough pressure to blow a line if the line was put together right, my guess is it was just hanging on untill now and finally turned loose. How much metal did you find, you will usually find a small amount of shavings in a new engine or at least I have.

Alan

Rick
October 11th, 2004, 05:28 PM
oil preasure at ideal was 40 psi part throttle was 50 psi 60 psi. engine was running fine when i shut it down. plumbing was from engine to outside of oil filter to cooler back to engine and yes it may be that the braided line was installed wrong or defective. but it was tore it didn't just blow out of fitting. " earls fitting" small amount of shaving pin head size and a few about the size of a number two pencil lead.

Engine may be ok but i want to make sure. When i was in high school late 70's I worked in a machine shop where the owner raced stockcars and i helped him at the track a lot. One year he bought a high dollar engine. which had a dri sump pump system. First time out it through a oil pump belt. shut it down found shaving just like the one i found. It was spun main bearing. Thanks for all your input i'll keep you updated.

Ricky A. Carter

GeorgiaSnake
October 11th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Rick

Split your filter (take it apart) and see what is in it. You can use a magnet on the bottom of the oil pan and pull small steel parts over to the plug and see what comes out. I suspect the hose was not put together right and that is the source of the metal. If that is the case then it is doubful that it got into the engine as it would have been trapped by the filter.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

pgermond
October 11th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Rick,

Really sorry to hear about your experience. You have mail (if you are interested in a diagram - file size to large to post hear.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

rdorman
October 12th, 2004, 09:33 AM
I hope everything turns out OK. There is nothing on a car that can blow apart properly assembled AN fittings and good hose (not the stuff that is just covered to look like braided stainless). As suggested it probably was just not on correctly and possibly a plumbing mix up.
Rick

Rick
October 19th, 2004, 05:04 PM
OK engine is back at dutton performance Dan is going to take a look and see what damage was done if any. Everyone agrees the fitting was incorrectly install. I payed to have the fitting installed at huntsville engine. I'm going to come up with a pump system to pressure test the lines and also a low oil preasure cutoff switch is anyone doing this. if so please give me some input.
Dan said he was building a FE someone to go in a unique car. I think Dan is a honest person. Very easy to work with and wants to make sure you are happy anyway he has been with me.

Ricky A. Carter

bomelia
October 22nd, 2004, 07:38 AM
Rick,

I live in Hampton Cove, Keith probably mentioned me to you. Do you have pictures? Not sure if pictures can be posted here...are you a clubcobra.com member? I think most of the guys in here also hang out over there.

Mike

Rick
October 25th, 2004, 05:47 PM
ok just to let everyone know my engine is ok. Dan At dutton performance. pulle the mains caps and rod caps everything is fine. Now to the dyno for tuning Dan is also doing that. As i have said before Dutton performace is ok in my book.

Ricky A. Carter