PDA

View Full Version : Welding

homer
October 15th, 2004, 01:27 PM
I have been thinking about getting a welding unit for home use and would appreciate any suggestions on the which way to go. I am a novice looking to get started. Thanks

Jim Harding
October 15th, 2004, 05:08 PM
I'm just learning too Homer, and I picked up a Lincoln-Electric Pro-Core 100 from Home Depot. It comes as a flux core wire feed welder that is easy to learn on. I added the MIG gas conversion to it and it makes welding a lot cleaner..... the flux core will splatter crap all over the work bench. Also, this unit will operate on 110 volts standard house current. Will handle up to 1/8 inch steel, which is just fine for my around the house/garage projects. I guess if I ever get close to mastering this thing, I doubt if I'll ever need anything bigger......... but never say never right?

Jim Harding
La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004
http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/albums/album26/1aLeftside.thumb.jpg

dmiller
October 15th, 2004, 05:16 PM
i just bought a MIG Lincoln, don't remember the model, but uses 110 volts. very easy to weld. i'd tried a cheap one from Harbor Frt and couldn't get it to work at all, so returned it and got the Lincoln. it makes really nice pretty welds when using the gas shield.

after using the MIG, i saw that the MIG wasn't satisfactory for heavy material, so got a Lincoln DC stick welder (220 volts power req'd) from Home Depot. it will really lay down a bead, but at my minimal skill level, the welds don't look nearly as nice as the MIG's. but, i beleive one could weld a battleship together with this one.

one can find all kinds of welding projects to do, lots of fun.

doug

Brent
October 16th, 2004, 07:23 AM
As Doug said, I would stick with Lincoln, Snap-On, Miller, etc. The no name welders are very problematic and parts are an issue.

The 110V welder is a nice gadget to have around for brackets and tacking things together. It depends on what you want to do with it. The 110V welder will not penetrate enough for a strong weld on thick material. It lays a beautiful bead but the breakage occurs on either side of the bead. If you want to work on roll bars, frame, chassis components, etc. you need a 220V welder.

Brent
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

eliminator
October 18th, 2004, 05:57 AM
My experience with the Miller Products have been outstanding.
I am partial to them because I worker for them in early 70's doing R&D with MIG welders and making welding machines.
The 220 Volt MIG will do it all, far superior to the stick units. So I agree with Brent.
You just change the settings, wire, and the inert gas to weld aluminum, stainless, and steel.

Rick