PDA

View Full Version : Dual fan blade replacements?

casaleenie
October 24th, 2004, 08:33 AM
Did a search to see where I could pick up some replacement blades for the front dual fans. Does anyone know off the top of their heads as to where the blades can be purchased.. I'm sure a call to the Weavers can be made as a last resort but I'd prefer not to bother them with this. Had a slight vibration and it turned out to be a missing blade. Figured I may as well replace both of them while I was at it.

al

AL

bittentoo
October 24th, 2004, 05:18 PM
No clue

Aggressor
October 24th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Hi Al,
I replaced mine in 2002. My 427SC was supplied with nine inch fan blades. After my first overheating session laboring in traffic on a hot summer day, I replaced them with ten inch blades. I bought them at a local home appliance(washers, dryers, ranges, etc) parts supply house. Their main business is for the appliance repair trade but they do sell retail. Look in your yellow pages under appliance repair for supply houses in your area. Take your fan blade along and they can match it for diameter required, # of blades, & shaft diameter. My ten inch blades look like an exact match in shape and style to the originals. They do make a difference in air flow, but the FE will still overheat if it idles in traffic on a hot day for extended periods of time. I figure about 25% more sweep area with the ten inchers.
If you do not have any local sources for the blades email me and I can get a current price from our local dealer and purchase them for you.
- Geary

COBRAGAR
October 25th, 2004, 03:42 AM
try graingers i believe they stock those blades and maybe the 10" likes aggressor has hope this helps .cobragar

K.Wilson
October 25th, 2004, 01:10 PM
Aggressor,

Did you measure the amps that the fan motors were pulling after you installed the new fans? A 25% greater fan area should equate to a 25% increase in power needed to turn them. As fans are constant energy devices, they can ether make static pressure (vacuum) or dynamic pressure (move air), at the same RPM it would make sense that they will now draw 25% more electricity.
It may not make a difference if the motors were not at max output with the 9 inch fans, but if they were, they could potentially overheat or blow the fuse with the new fans.
As I was typing this it occured to me that the fans only pull max load when the car is sitting still. The air comming in the front when the car is moving helps turn the fans (by reducing the static pressure and increasing the dynamic pressure) and reduces the load when the car is moving. This may not be a problem as even if the motors are overloaded it would only be for very short periods of time as the car does not sit still that often.

Keith

Aggressor
October 25th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Keith, I haven't thought through the increased electrical loading that you have mentioned. From usage I have not noticed more draw on my ammeter and the fans don't seem to run hot. Perhaps as you said the motors were not running at capacity with the 9 inch blades.
It's a good thought though. I'll keep an eye on it.
Thanks - Gearyhttp://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/aggressor/IM000668A.jpg

K.Wilson
October 25th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Geary,

I am thinking that I may do the same thing and change to the larger fans. I still find the temp gauge going up, up and up some more when stopped in traffic on an 85 plus degree day.
It is still amazing to me that you only have to be going 10 to 20 MPH and the temp goes down to 180, but sit through a couple of stop light changes and it goes to 220 with the fans running.
I am sure if I could find an inexpensive solution, all the big block guys would name their first born after me.

Keith

ralphscott
October 25th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Keith I have a 16 spal 2700 cfm puller on the inside of my radiator. What I did was to redesign the front sway bar. Talked to Spal and got their newest fan. Do a search on sway bar I have a picture posted. I kept my front fans also, primarily for looks. At Shades of the Past in Pigeon Forge I stayed at 170 through 10 minutes of sitting in traffic in 80+ degree weather, while my friends were pushing 200 or more. I have an FE 428 with 10.5+:1 and previously had a major overheating problems.

Ralph

Aggressor
October 25th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Ralph,
You're using the smart approach. Puller setups seem to be very effective. I guess some of us are just die-hards trying to make the pushers work.
(Classic British Sports Car Owner's Mindset - Must have creeped in during my years of British car ownership)
Good Call
-Gearyhttp://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/aggressor/tr3.jpg

Brent
October 26th, 2004, 04:53 AM
I have dual 12" pullers behind my radiator. I never run the front fans as I think they are just for decoration anyway. Mine sits on a 180 degree thermostadt and never moves.Ralph and I were about the only two big block guys grinning after the second day cruise.

Brent
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

ralphscott
October 26th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Not only did I have a big grin but my blood pressure was within the normal range major stress relief!

Ralph

Master
October 26th, 2004, 05:37 PM
I can tell you first hand that the puller fans are the way to go. At the same event that Brent and Ralph were at I hitched a ride with Butch Capps (427 S.O. 12.5 to 1 compression) towards the end when we were stuck in traffic Butch's temp reached 220+ and we had to shut it down for fear of overheating. Butch at that time was running just the pusher fans.

Scott

Scott
SA 428
3:54

clayfoushee
October 27th, 2004, 07:35 AM
Phil, are you still running both the SPAL and pushers? What's been your experience with the SPAL.

Here's a good thread for others reference:

http://www.uniquecobra.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=489&SearchTerms=Spal,Fans

There are several other good threads in the archives if you do a search on SPAL Fans, and put in search parameters for the last year.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD