PDA

View Full Version : engine tuning

homer
November 6th, 2004, 02:21 PM
I am having a sporadic problem with my engine. I have a SA406 (approx 600 miles) that sputters at high rpms when revving in the driveway and sputters at 2000-3500 rpms when accelerating. I have adjusted the carb float leves, the mix screw (1.5 turns out) and the timing to 37 deg at 3200 rpm. I have the occassional nasty backfire (typically small backfires)through the carb when the engine is warming up but not once it has run for while. Any troubleshooting hints would be welcomed.

Brent
November 7th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Homer,
I don't think your situation is carb related. A backfire is usually of no fault of the carb. You probably have an ignition, timing, or valvetrain issue. This motor has been an issue for you for a long time hasn't it. Have you checked the valves to make sure you dont have a lobe down or a rocker way out of adjustment?

What ign. are you using and what dist. are you using?

Good luck.

Brent
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

homer
November 7th, 2004, 03:30 PM
MSD6al ignition with elect dist -- Have not checked the valve lash -- tried readjusting the float levels again and problem seemed to get better only after a puff type choke out of the carb under acceleration. timing is ok have checked it -- must be the valves -- guess I will ned to learn how to check and adjust them

spd4me
November 8th, 2004, 08:56 AM
I remember my SA 396W backfiring through carb once. Like to blew off my eyebrows. The problem was I had leaned out the carbs to much and they weren't getting enough gas. I did the 1.5 turn and added about another half turn. Just enough to where you can feel the engine change. If you have solid lifters and have not adjusted. It's a must. My car got so rough at idle, I though my dash was going to fall off. Checked the valve lash and there were two I could stick my finger under. Set them at hot lash (after warming up motor ) and it ran like a top.