PDA

View Full Version : pre-oiler

dmiller
November 8th, 2004, 10:51 AM
unless this winter is very hard, i'd guess that North La. will will have several days thru out the winter that will be good for drives. but they will be several days apart. with the less frequent drives this winter, the oil will have a chance to completely drain off journals and wear surfaces. is this significant? i'd think so.

is there a pre-oiler, some pump that can be driven independent of the engine, which would allow one to pump oil back into the journals? i've looked in JEGS and didn't see anything.

removing the destributor and driving the oil pump would be too much trouble, because then one would have to time the engine again. i know that i wouldn't do that for an occassional drive.

thanks

KrAzEcJ
November 8th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Every couple of weeks just fire her up and let it get up to normal operating temp. Just my 2 cents. A pre-oiler is a nice addon and safety measure and Canton has some listed on their site.http://www.accusump.com/

Unique 4279459

dmiller
November 8th, 2004, 11:47 AM
thank you. i'll look at them. probably not worth the trouble, but . .

tburdett
November 8th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Jegs does have a oil pump primer in their Christmas catalog, pg. 55. Moroso Part #710-62210 or 710-62220 for Fords.

Brent
November 8th, 2004, 03:45 PM
You can run a Moroso Accumulator if you wish. It is a cylinder with a piston in it that you charge with air pressure at the point that you want oil to be sent to the motor. It is used in racing applications where extreme cornering or deceleration causes the oil pressure to drop momentarily. When the oil pressure drops below the pressure you have set the canister at it pushes 3 qts of oil into the motor, when the pressure rises again the oil pump overides the canister pressure and fills the canister again. The way we used the Accumulator as a primer was to have a ball valve located on the cylinder that we could shut while the motor was running. This would have 3 qts of oil under pressure in the canister. Before firing the motor again we would open the ball valve and pump three quarts of oil into the motor and then fire it. You can look on their website for more info.

Brent
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

dmiller
November 8th, 2004, 04:43 PM
thank you both,

do you think this would be a worthwhile project, for an engine that will probably only run once every 2-3 weeks in winter?

doug

clayfoushee
November 8th, 2004, 05:01 PM
Thanks for starting this discussion. I'll be following it with great interest. I've always worried about starting my engine after several weeks of it being idle.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

KrAzEcJ
November 8th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Heres some basic plumbing to give you the idea of how its used and installed.

"The Accusump, the original automotive oil accumulator, is designed to provide the engine with oil pressure before the starter is even engaged. An Accusump is a cylinder shaped aluminum storage container that acts as a reservoir of pressurized oil, to be released when there is a drop in the oil pressure.

The Accusump is connected to the pressure side of an engine's oiling system and is charged by the engines own oil pump. Its simple, efficient design revolves around a hydraulic piston separating an air pre-charge side and the oil reservoir side. On the oil side of the Accusump, it has an outlet that goes into the engine's oiling system, controlled by a valve. On the air side, it's equipped with a pressure gauge and a Schrader air pre-load valve.

The Accusump provides that extra margin of protection that you need against engine damage caused by loss of oil pressure. Racing and high performance street engines by nature are put under a lot of stress by the high G-load situations they are commonly placed in. As oil in your pan sloshes about, your oil pump pickup can become uncovered, which causes a loss of oil pressure and sets the stage for severe engine damage. The Accusump provides oil during these times reducing the potential for damage.

Installation

Using stock block mounted spin-on type oil filter - It's possible to retain the stock oil filter in the original location using an oil input Sandwich Adapter that connects to the Accusump by a hose. This oil input Adapter mounts between your existing OEM spin-on type oil filter and your engine block. The adapter has a single threaded 1/2" NPT input hole that provides a passage directly to your engines oiling system and receives oil from the Accusump through a hose and appropriate fittings. Using an adapter is the simplest way to install an Accusump system.

Plumbing into existing external oil lines - If your engine is already using an external oiling system such as a remote oil cooler or a remote oil filter, the Accusump can be plumbed into the existing lines with a T-fitting. Some remote spin-on type oil filter mounts have a third port that can also be used to plumb into."
*taken from Accusump's Tech Data*

Normalhttp://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/KrAzEcJ/accusump3a.gif

Closedhttp://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/KrAzEcJ/accusump3b.gif

Unique 4279459

dmiller
November 8th, 2004, 06:57 PM
the Jegs part is an extension that is used after removing the distributor, to drive the oil pump with a drill motor.

i think the accusump would be the prefered way, since you would only need to charge it with compressed air, and open a valve.

i'm going to talk to some local engine "experts" and see what they say. i'm not in favor of just starting the engine every so often. unless you get the oil hot, it can can dilute the oil with condensed water and gas.

KrAzEcJ
November 8th, 2004, 07:42 PM
I guess its all up to the individual and what $ you want to spend for added confort. Me personally I dont race so I dont think its something thats a must have, but I do preventative measures on my toys to keep them in good working order while they are not being used.
1. Oil change before it gets put up
2. Gas tank filled up to the max (so theres not room for condensation)
3. Gas additive (sta-bil)
4. I crank up my toys every couple of weeks and bring them up to operating temp (Keeps deposits from forming "carb" and re lubes everything)

These are just the things I do for my riding lawn mower, 4 wheeler, boat, and my Jeep which is a 97 and only has 28,000 miles on it because its not driven much and is seasonal like the Cobra.

Is there anything wrong with going above and beyond the norm? Nope its all up to you.

Unique 4279459

clayfoushee
November 8th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Impressive CJ........thanks.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

JerryBP
November 9th, 2004, 11:35 AM
I used to drive semis and the co always put Accumulators on their trucks, they claimed that they more than doubled berring life.

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550-2 5spd
Coal Black no Stripes by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio