PDA

View Full Version : Looking For a 289

mgkuehn
November 17th, 2004, 03:42 AM
Have decided to join up and build a 289 FIA. Plan to use CSX 2345 as the example. Would like to use a 289 at about 300 - 350 HP. There are plenty of 302s out there but 289s seem scarse. [?]Anyone have any reliable sources for engines or new old stock? Would love to get hold of a K series:D.

Mike

gasman
November 17th, 2004, 05:42 AM
Mike, I know a guy that has two K series motors and one 347 motor out of a Mustang. He is in Sebring until next Monday. I don't know if he has an interest in selling one but I'll let you know what he says when he returns.

Steve

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

Russ Dickey
November 17th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Mike:
Congratulations and welcome to the FIA family! CSX 2345 raced with several famous paint schemes, are you going to use one in particular??

Russ

Unique 289FIA - Viking Blue

mgkuehn
November 18th, 2004, 04:31 AM
Steve: Thanks appreciate your help.

Russ: Haven't decided on paint as yet. The only pictures I have of 2345 are in Guardsman Blue although in '64 it was dressed in Viking and came from the factory in primer. Were there other colors?

After looking at a lot of pictures (but never a square on rear end shot) I've come to the conclusion that the rear flairs on the Unique kit won't be correct for 2345. If this is a good assumption, have you added wider rear flairs. I did talk to Alan about the forward rears and he told me they have an add on which I plan to use. Any advice or thought?

Mike Unique Want-to-Be

Russ Dickey
November 18th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Mike:
My wife and I just moved, so I don't have access to all of my Cobra archives. Just off hand, the two most famous paint schemes of CSX2345 that I can think of were:

- '64 Targa Floria when it was the #142. Viking Blue with red FIA nose stripe. Driven by Bondurant and Hill.

- '65 Rossfield Hillclimb. #21 Guardsman Blue with Wimbledon White LeMans Stripes. Driven by Bondurant.

I am sure that there are more, even though the only changes will probably be car #'s and FIA stripe colors. CSX2345 was a team car both years, so your only choices will be Viking Blue or Guardsman Blue if you want it to be period correct.

From the research that I have done, there were no "correct flares" for these FIA race cars. I have been told and seen on other websites that say there is a "correct" flare, but I have seen several variations of both front and rear fender flares, even on the exact same car. They changed a lot from race-to-race, I guess depending on the set-up of the car, and which body guy prepped it. I've attended vintage races and SAAC events, where they'll have two original FIA cars or USRRC cars sitting right next to each other, and NONE of their flares are the same. Which just supports my point that no two cars were exactly alike, and even the exact same car could look different from race to race.

I have been told that my Unique FIA fenders are "incorrect"; that the fronts need to be more flat, and the rears need to be more square, but I have several vintage photos that show original FIA cars with fenders that look just like mine. So it all comes down to your personal preference. My car is a replica of CSX2259, as it raced in Daytona of '64 with Gurney and Johnson behind the wheel. Is it exact? Nope. But it's close enough for me, and I am pretty picky about accuracy (and paying homage to the originals). Of course that all goes out the window when people see that my car has full carpeting and a Holley-carb'd 351 under the hood.....

Russ

Unique 289FIA - Viking Blue

mgkuehn
November 18th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Russ:

I agree about no two cars being the same. The pictures I have of 2345 are of the 21 car with wide rear flairs. I like that look and will probably mod the car to look like that. As for the front flairs they sure look right on to me, at least where 2345 is concerned. If you compare to 2142 the whel arches are definately different. As to the point no two car are the same and sometimes the same car isn't the same. For example I have some pictures of 2145 with a forward braced roll bar and some with just a hoop.
Probably won't go so far as to be absolutely true to color but do want a good profile. Had a beer wiyh Clay tonight and he has talked me into a top loader vice the TKO - bottom line I can be bought for beer. Thanks!

Mike

spd4me
November 19th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Mike- there's two real good books that show plenty of pictures of FIA cars. I'll get name of them this weekend and post Monday. I used some of photos to try and determine width of stripes on FIA.
Bob

spd4me
November 22nd, 2004, 07:33 AM
Here are two great books on Cobras plenty of photos.
Cobra
The Shelby American Original Archives 1962-1965
Dave Friedman, Motorbooks International

AC Cobra
Rinsey Mills, Haynes Publishing

Brent
November 22nd, 2004, 02:08 PM
You might investigate this and see if is anything you can use. Maybe for parts if nothing else.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7935444322&category=33615

And another:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4505251115&category=34202

And another:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7934579638&category=33615

And another:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7936650344&category=33615

If you just want a shortblock, which I assume you do, 289s are easy to find and pretty cheap.

Brent
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54