PDA

View Full Version : Drive Shaft too long?

daveg
November 19th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Finally getting a chance to post something rather than just reading. After much waiting for the painter to finish, I am close to getting the body back. But, upon hooking up my new Tremec 600 to my SA 408 I get the below:

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/daveg/Drive shaft.jpg

Basically, it is a real tight fit (my painter who is helping described it as a "scary" fit). For more detail:

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/daveg/Drive shaft 2.jpg

You can see the 5/8 spacer between the Lakewood Bellhousing and the trans that the new tremec required is pushing this to be real tight. In talking with Alan - he seems to think that, because it is a solid mount front and back, I should squeeze it in. In talking with Joe at Standart Tranmission (where I bought the Tremec), he worries about binding and thinks I should invest in a drive shaft about 1" shorter (would measure to be correct).

Wedge it in or spend another $200 - what do you guys think? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

pgermond
November 19th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Personal choice, I suppose - I would spend the two hundred clams now rather than later. Much easier at this point, and would avoid the risk of damaging something else down the road (figuratively speaking).

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

Aggressor
November 19th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Dave, from your images it appears to be to tight. The shaft should have a reasonable amount of freeplay.

brfutbrian
November 19th, 2004, 07:36 PM
why not just have the driveshaft cut down and rewelded. should be much less than 200. you should be able to find someone locally that fabricates drive shafts. later, brian

Jim Harding
November 20th, 2004, 06:28 AM
If it won't slip in there without having to 'persuade' it, have it shortened. Even though both the tranny and pinion are firmly attached to the frame and won't move, I'd still be concerned about any lack of free play in the for and aft plane would have on the seals and bearings in either the tranny or the rearend. Play it safe and have it shortened, might be the best 200 bucks you'll ever spend.

Jim Harding
La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004
http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/albums/album26/1aLeftside.thumb.jpg

Brent
November 20th, 2004, 07:07 AM
The shaft is too long. Do not force it. That shaft should be cut and re-welded for less than 75.00. If you can't get it done send it to me and I will do it for you.

Good luck

Brent
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

Poorboy
November 20th, 2004, 08:51 AM
It also looks like you have the cross member in backwards. I think you will have to modify the cross member for the Tremec. Make sure you have the headers & side pipes in place before making the changes.

eliminator
November 22nd, 2004, 05:17 AM
I also noticed the Frame needs WAXIN!!!:D

Rick

daveg
November 22nd, 2004, 06:09 AM
Thanks everyone - I am getting the driveshaft cut down today.

In regards to the cross member and the Tremec - I am slightly confused. Poorboy (or anyone else), can you post some info or a picture of how this should work?

Dave

will butterworth
November 22nd, 2004, 07:48 AM
brent is on targ. should cut it , no binding, need slack on trans. side bigtime, crossm. does look backw. but may need to be that way for trem. trans.. any shop should be cap. of cutting and weld. for much less than 200 bucks. Anyway it,s a good prob. to have, Will-Alabama----tiger had a tough time with stubborn elephant first half, no coyote this weekend Rick, got a red dot scope from comp. shooter, might try it .

Poorboy
November 22nd, 2004, 08:25 AM
Was your car setup for a toploader orginaly? In a car setup for a tremec the cross member is farther back(3" I think).

daveg
November 22nd, 2004, 08:38 AM
Car should have been set up for a Tremec - Alan and Maurice are at that show this week so tough to confirm. I picked up the car without the trans as I was waiting for the 600 to ship.

Will I have to move the cross-member? (Yuck!!).

Dave

will butterworth
November 22nd, 2004, 09:08 AM
if it bolts up to what you have , go.

Poorboy
November 22nd, 2004, 12:06 PM
Scott,
It will have to be farther back. I think it might have to be a little lower to. Put a jack under the trans, then install the headers and sidepipes. Raise or lower the trans until the sidepipes fit the frame. Put the trans mount on. Trim 1/4" off each end of the crossmember,put it in behind the back crossmember mounting bracket and see how it fits up to the trans mount.

daveg
November 22nd, 2004, 12:43 PM
Poorboy,

Now you are making sense. I will install the pipes and send off another picture seeing how the fit goes. I did put the headers on and thought they were at a funny angle....

Dave

Poorboy
November 22nd, 2004, 04:51 PM
What do mean "Now you are making sense" I always make sense(maybe not good sense)LOL

JerryBP
November 23rd, 2004, 01:20 PM
Which Lakewood bellhousing did you use?
they make one for the tremec that doesn't need the spacer.

Work in Progress, Unique 427-9429 400+hp 351C Tremec 3550-2 5spd
Coal Black no Stripes by Bruce, Greg & Jerry Porter Caldwell, Ohio

daveg
December 29th, 2004, 07:04 PM
Thanks again everyone for your help. I wanted to close out the thread for the drive shaft and cross member.

I ended up getting the drive shaft cut down for $100.

Alan and Maurice actually looked at the picture on the web and realized they had shipped me the wrong cross member. In hind site, I would have the Weavers install it with the SA engine but I was waiting on one of the new 600's and it didn't ship until September. It took some time (around thanksgiving) but they sent me up a new one. I forgot a picture before putting the body back on but just for reference - the bend would/should have been the give away for me.

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/daveg/Transmission.jpg

Thanks again for the help,

Dave