PDA

View Full Version : clutch and oil pressure questions

scott
November 21st, 2004, 09:37 AM
looking at my 351 i only see 1 plug in the block that i hope has oil on the other side, it is right next to the fuel pump, is this the place to install the oil pressure fittings? i have a tremec 5-speed with hydraulic t/o bearing what kind of slave cylinder do i need and how does it hook up ?

souzape
November 21st, 2004, 01:05 PM
Scott- check on the back (top of the block) just aft of the intake manifold...there should be a tap there for your oil pressure gauge (at least there is on a cleveland). Would also recommend that you put a fitting on the lower portion of the pan for your oil temp gauge... I tapped mine into the spot next to the fuel pump that you have already found and have never really felt like I was getting good readings.

Phil Souza

scott
November 21st, 2004, 01:57 PM
i think the rear port is covered by the victor jr intake manifold, i was thinking of looking for an oil coolere adapter that would have some extra ports for sensors. any clutch input ?

Jim Harding
November 21st, 2004, 05:05 PM
quote:Originally posted by scott

i have a tremec 5-speed with hydraulic t/o bearing what kind of slave cylinder do i need and how does it hook up ?

[?][?] The hydraulic throw out bearing IS THE "SLAVE"[?][?]

It is controlled by a master cylinder that is actuated by your clutch pedal. Whomever made the TOB should be able to recommend the correct bore for your master. Then all that's left is to plumb a line from the master to the slave, and maybe throw in an adapter or two so things mate up.

And you are correct, that fitting next to the fuel pump is the location for the oil pressure gauge.

Jim Harding
La Plata, Maryland

1982 #3004
http://www.capitalareacobraclub.com/albums/album26/1aLeftside.thumb.jpg

Poorboy
November 22nd, 2004, 02:21 AM
The car comes with the clutch master already installed. Make sure you install a pedal stop so the master only has 1" of travel.

nolastyankee
November 22nd, 2004, 06:17 AM
On a 351W the oil pressure fitting taps into the block to the right of the fuel pump, when looked at from the side of the engine with the fuel pump. Sounds like the same location you are already looking at. Be sure to use a thread sealer of some sort!

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

scott
November 22nd, 2004, 06:41 AM
thanks guys! if i route one line from the clutch master to the t/o what do i do about the second line coming out of the hydlaulic t/o ? i'm not all that anxious to tap into the oil pan for the oil temp any other choices?

spd4me
November 22nd, 2004, 07:46 AM
Scott, I believe the second line out of the t/o is to attach the bleed line which hangs back out of the bellhousing so you can bleed the line from outside the car. You may want someone to post a picture of theirs. My 351W 396 Stroker has the oil pressure line on the front of block just to left of fuel pump.

souzape
November 22nd, 2004, 08:02 AM
Scott- tapping into the oil pan is very easy and clean to do before you assemble the car. Do it with the pan off the engine and have a bung welded in to receive the sensor probe. This way you know the temp of the oil going into the engine after it's been thru the cooler. Also be very careful with thread sealant.. if the probe assembly does not make a suitable ground to the block (or whatever you mount it to), it will not operate correctly. Too much sealant can cause this problem.

I notice you're in Paso Robles. I live to the east of you in Ridgecrest (east of the Sierras/north of Mojave). Have had my Unique on the road now for about 18 months and have really enjoyed it. You're in for a real thrill

Phil Souza

Poorboy
November 22nd, 2004, 08:19 AM
Scott, The second line is the bleeder line. If you put oil temp sensor any where other than the pan your wasting your money on it.

spd4me
November 22nd, 2004, 03:01 PM
Poorboy
I screwed in my oil sensor in the top of the oil filter adapter that is located in the front between engine and oil cooler. I've wondered if it is reading the temp of oil before or after cooler. The temp gauge seems to run same temp as engine water.

Poorboy
November 22nd, 2004, 04:47 PM
Spd4me,
You can check it by removing the line from the engine to the filter adapter. Disconnect the coil wire and turn the engine over with the starter. If it comes out of the line you are reading it before the cooler, out of the filter after the cooler. Oil temp gauges are not very accrate, they can vary + or - 30 degrees.