PDA

View Full Version : fuel line fittings ?

scott
November 24th, 2004, 04:13 PM
what size and type of fitting is used at the gas tank? it is difficult to see if the tank is tapped for pipe threads or some other thread. what is the connection on the steel gas line

brfutbrian
November 24th, 2004, 06:28 PM
scott, the bung in the tank has pipe threads. the connection on the gasline is a double flare. i used a 3/8" (i think?)pipe to AN#6 adapter on the tank and a 3/8" (i think?)flare to AN#6 adapter on the gasline with a steelbraid #6 hose and AN fittings to couple it together. im sure theres less expensive ways to do it. later, brian

Brent
November 26th, 2004, 07:19 AM
Scott,

The tank is tapped 1/4" pipe thread. I ran #8 stainless Aeroquip to the electric fuel pump and to the front mechanical pump. I ran #6 from the pump to the carb.

The steel fuel line that came with the kit came in handy later. I cut it into 24" pieces and bent it in a J and used it to hang small pieces I was painting. (-:

Have fun!

Brent
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

KrAzEcJ
November 26th, 2004, 08:05 AM
Good morning Brent,
I wanted to ask you and the guys about the fuel lines that come on the Deluxe Pallet kit.
I gather from your comment about the existing fuel lines are not big enough to supply fuel
for higher H/P motors? I'm leaning towards a high volume mechanical pump and a electrical pump feeding it. In talking with the guys with Barry Grant for my motor and H/P I need to run at least
110-120 gph at 8-10 psi min. Does this sound about right to you? They tell me also that they have a reworked mechanical pump that flows this and I could go that route also. Will the factory fuel lines be sufficient or do I need to upsize? They are telling me I need to run -10AN from the tank to the electric pump, then -10AN from the pump to the filter then -10AN from the filter to the mechanical pump then -8AN from the mechanical pump to the carb. Any input from you and the guys would be appreciated.

Unique 4279459

Brent
November 26th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Hey CJ,

This is a great subject for the forum. I agree with Barry Grant if you were to race the car and actually stay at W.O.T long enough to drain the fuel bowls and fuel line. If you plan to drag race your car you might want to think about it. In term of fuel usage a 500HP race engine needs 250 LBS of fuel per hour at WOT. 99.9999% of Cobra owners will never drain the float bowls if they just run a mech pump. I run a Holley 110gph mechanical pump and a Carter 4070 72gph pump at the tank. I have not had to run the rear pump yet, it is a flow through design and it is on a seperate switch. I ran the larger fuel line for two reasons. #1 more volume and #2 it is quiet. I knew I wanted an electric pump so I could fill the fuel bowls without cranking the motor over and over and over. I mounted the fuel pump in rubber (came with it)and the flex lines really help insulate the noise as well. The pump can not be heard at all.

Second is the pressure question. A stock Holley really likes the fuel pressure below 6-7 psi. You can change the needle and seat assy. and go 8 or 9psi. but why? Pressure in a street application is more trouble than it is worth. I have a regulator on the car and it is set at 5psi. Trouble free. If I want to race the car its a turn of the screw on the regulator and bump the float levels to the middle of the sight glass and not the bottom where I run the now .

Have fun!

Barry Grant is a drag racer and his guys are drag racers. They sell drag racing stuff and I ran it for years. Great guys and a great product, however, I do not think we need it.

Brent
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

KrAzEcJ
November 26th, 2004, 09:02 AM
No racing here Brent, and thats what I told them and thats when they suggested their reworked high volume mechanical with no electrical pump and use a pressure regulator. But with that combonation we didnt talk about fuel line sizes and return lines. I have always ran Holleys in the past but was thinking Demon this time around. Its kinda nice that these guys are 15 minutes from my house and are great to deal with face to face.

Unique 4279459

Brent
November 26th, 2004, 09:42 AM
I have the 750 Mighty Demon and I love it. They suggested the Mighty Demon due to the camshaft profile I am running. (Anything over 260 deg. @ .050) I have no regrets on the carb choice and the drivability is awesome.

Brent
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54

ralphscott
November 26th, 2004, 11:52 AM
CJ and Brent, I also installed an electric pump ahead of the mechanical pump. I was on the track with the car and lost fuel to the engine going into the curves. Little scary. Second time around I realized that I had forgotten to turn on the electric pump. Problem solved except for new shorts!!:D

Ralph

KrAzEcJ
November 26th, 2004, 04:18 PM
I gave them my cam profile and engine info and what they recommended is the 850 Mighty.
Here are my engine specs
460 30 over
10.0:1
iron 429 CJ heads
TorkerII intake
Crane 1.7 roller rockers
Comp Cams XE274H (230/240 @ .05" .562"/.584" lift ground on a 110 LSA)
850 Mighty Demon
MSD Billet distributer
MSD 6 AL
40lb Hays flywheel
All rotating assembly ballanced, pistons,rods,crank

Unique 4279459

Brent
November 26th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Should be STRONG!!!!

466ci and iron heads will need that much fuel.

Brent
Candy Apple Red/White
402 FE/Toploader/3.54