PDA

View Full Version : nothing better to discuss, so . . .

dmiller
December 1st, 2004, 07:20 PM
the other day i checked my oil level after driving the car ( i normally chk it before a drive ) and observed it was about 1 qt lower than normal. due to sorry wet weather, i wasn't able to drive the next day, but chked the oil again, and found it wasn't as low as the previous day. the sorry weather continued for almost a week, and i observed that the oil level was increasing everyday for almost 4 days. after that it remained a little below full.

i'm suprised about how long it took for the oil in the engine to return to the pan.

and it brings to mind a question. most suggest that one change the oil when the oil is at operation temperature. well, if one does that, in my engine, there would be almost a full quart still in the upper engine.

after this observation, i checked my honda S2000 after a drive and found that the level was fairly consistent within a few minutes of driving.

i doubt that the oil weight could have much to do with it, but the honda is using 10-30, the 351W is 15-50.

during these dull weather wet months, with nothing better to discuss,

doug

pgermond
December 1st, 2004, 07:58 PM
Hi Doug,

There was an interesting discussion on this topic awhile back - http://www.uniquecobra.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=368&SearchTerms=canton may help explain some of what you are experiencing.... and then again, as you said, nothing else significant going on.

I changed all my fluids last weekend in preparation for a dyno on Saturday at 8 AM - It's been unusually cold here in northern CA the last few days (high 20's in the morning) so I'm going to have to dig out the wooly's.

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

dmiller
December 1st, 2004, 08:08 PM
thanks for the link.

my pan and remote oil filter, no cooler, takes 9 qts allowing for filter, I think.

i've used 1 qt. in 1200 miles. changed the oil twice in the first 1000 miles. now using mobil 1

i'll be interested in your dyno results.

i've only hammered my car a couple of times, and it is scary. never felt anything like it.

doug

pgermond
December 1st, 2004, 08:57 PM
"i've only hammered my car a couple of times, and it is scary. never felt anything like it"

I know exactly we here you are coming from - the first time I tapped the throtle it scared the b-jesus out of me. Since then, I've gotten more comfortable with it - to the point where (I believe) the 6k rev limiter is kicking in 1st gear. Ain't it great [:P]

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

eliminator
December 2nd, 2004, 05:34 AM
Doug,

What oil pan are you using? If your using a Canton pan and no oil cooler your at least a quart over your system capacity. A Canton pan is an 8 qt. system not a 8 quart pan. The system allows for 7 quarts in the pan and one quart for the filter. Sounds like over filling is the problem. Too much is as bad as too little.

Rick

dmiller
December 2nd, 2004, 07:24 AM
this is the part# and description from JEGS,
i thought it meant 8 qt in pan, plus 1 qt for oil filter and remote lines.
am i correct that 9 qts would be for an oil change.

thanks

doug

Ford, Small Block - Low Profile, Front Sump
8-quart capacity plus filter.
697-30926
SB-Ford Oil Pan, 351W

eliminator
December 2nd, 2004, 08:12 AM
Nope[V]
It's an 8 quart system not a 8 quart pan.....
See the thread on calibrating your dip stick with a Canton Pan.
I will pull the old thread up.;)

Rick

dmiller
December 2nd, 2004, 10:06 AM
eliminator, thanks, i'll save a qt next oil change, and it means that my oil is still full, and i must have splashed away that extra qt.

thanks

doug

spd4me
December 2nd, 2004, 03:33 PM
I changed my oil and filter last weekend. Put 1 quart into filter before screwing it on and 7 quarts in pan. The dip stick showed it just over the full line. I also have cooler. If Southern Auto. uses the correct dip stick then it's a 7 qt. oil pan.

Another thing I've learned, if you have solid lifters and the idle starts getting ruff, it's time to adjust em.

eliminator
December 3rd, 2004, 05:27 AM
A good rule of thumb is to adjust solid lifters when you change oil.
I usually change oil twice a year around 1,500 miles on the oil. I drive about 1,800-2,000 miles per year. I am sure you could get by with one change. Running through the solid lifters is easy and generally there is minor adjustment needed. I do it hot right before I drain the oil, one side at a time. With the FE engine this is also a good time to change the plugs when the valve covers are off, once a year.

Rick

spd4me
December 3rd, 2004, 09:16 AM
Rick- I've got about 3300 miles on my 396W stroker and have had to adjust valves 3 times. I like to do it this time of year when garage is cool. Run the engine up to about 190-200 degress, do one side, re-heat and do other side. Have to be careful about not touching stuff that's hot. I got a nice quarter size burn on my wrist changing the oil. Ouch![xx(]
Bob

eliminator
December 3rd, 2004, 10:46 AM
Good investment, a good pair of Mechanics Gloves;). Makes the valve cover removal and adjustment of the valves more pleasant[^].

Rick