PDA

View Full Version : Heater; yes or no

ramairglenn
December 11th, 2004, 07:11 PM
I am just finishing buffing on my paint and am about to do my aluminum in the engine compartment so if I am going to install a heater, now is the time. The owners with heaters; do you get enough use out of them to justify the cost and effort? Those without; would you install one if you were going to do it again? I live in Alabama about 5 miles from Unique so winters aren't too bad.
Thanks for any help,

clayfoushee
December 11th, 2004, 10:27 PM
I've heard from many that a heated vest plugged into a 12v cigarette lighter is far more effective than a heater.

I don't have a heater either(or a top), but I just bundle up with many layers.

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

dmiller
December 12th, 2004, 06:15 AM
when i was riding motorcycles, i made a homemade heated vest. cost was about $20 and ~ 2- 3 hours.
worked very well. if interexstd, email and i'll send you the recipe.

doug

Russ Dickey
December 12th, 2004, 09:37 AM
I love my heater. Keeps the feet warm during those cool cruise nights when the temp dips down in the 50's. It's a big hit with the wife as well, as women seem to get cold more easily than men (ot at least complain about it more).

Russ

Unique 289FIA - Viking Blue

pgermond
December 12th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Being in CA, I didn't even give a heater a thought. Although I have been out in the 20's and 30's - it is still tolerable if you are dressed appropriately. I have no idea what a heater/defroster does for resale value, but the installations I have seen seem to clutter up the engine compartment.

I suppose the other option is to fore go the aluminum foot box heat shields - that will keep you warm! :D

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

gasman
December 12th, 2004, 07:15 PM
you should be fine in Alabama without a heater. As most high performance cars, it will get pretty warm inside without one.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

ralphscott
December 13th, 2004, 03:50 AM
Glen, I live in TN and am very glad to have a heater in my car. I put it in because we have a lot clear dry days during the winter and I do like to get Lil' Cobra out (it really runs strong in the cooler weather.) What I found out as pluses are a couple. On the cool dewey (not rain) mornings the defroster does help clear the inside of the windshield and I also had a situation where my heater brought me some time. Traffic jam after a car show, water temp going up, no prospect of cooling the car down, front fans running full tilt and the heater running on full bleeding out just that little bit of heat that allowed me to get clear from the traffic with out over heating. I have since added another fan so not an issue but the heater I like having it.

Ralph

gasman
December 13th, 2004, 04:19 AM
Ralph has a good point with the cooling issue.

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

eliminator
December 13th, 2004, 05:31 AM
I am very glad to have a heater and DEFROSTER.
Whoever stated that the heaters in a Unique don't work well don't know what they are talking about[:O].
On those early morning breakfast runs in Pigeon Forge, TN in September I could see. Others were working on fogged up windshields.
It's not that expensive and will also help on the resale if and when you decide to sell the car.
Use mine quite often and I would not build another car without one.
So yes, put one in:D.

Rick

rdorman
December 13th, 2004, 07:55 AM
For what it costs, I would do it. With the top on it is actually quite warm regardless of the outside temp.
Rick

clayfoushee
December 13th, 2004, 08:07 AM
I didn't hear anyone say heaters didn't work well. I don't know, I don't have one. I did say from a body heating standpoint, and without a top, a heated vest is closer to the object requiring heat.....;).

The other points regarding the defroster and removing heat are very good ones in favor of installing it. Now has anyone installed inside the windshield wipers? I could use those.:D

Clay

'98 Unique #9299, 427FE side oiler (452.1-stroker), top-loader (close), 3.31 rear

Annapolis, MD

rdorman
December 13th, 2004, 12:39 PM
The heater is of little help with out the top on unless you are just cruising the streets (no interstate). With the top on, it makes it nice and toasty. De-fog is nice as well. It is possible to bypass the heat function as well and use them to blow fresh air as well. Which, if installed right, can be nice in the foot boxes.

With out a top and taking long drives, layers, lots and lots of layers. Hell, a wet suit works great, heated seats are also nice. They have blankets that will plug in the cigarette lighter for the passenger.

Rick

will butterworth
December 13th, 2004, 12:45 PM
everyone has good points, i live just south of you in ranburne near bowdon ,ga. and we installed heater from getgo, yep you,ll need one for here. Will-alabama

terryk
December 13th, 2004, 07:20 PM
I live in Pensacola and use my heater during the winter. It makes the car much more usable in the winter (couldn't do that up north). The down side is that no matter what you do, it adds heat to the cockpit in the summer, not a good thing.

ralphscott
December 14th, 2004, 04:09 AM
Clay I like the idea of the heated vest. Glen one thing that may want to put in besides the heater/defroster is a power port under the dash for 12 volt accessories. Terry you may want to adjust the water control cable. Or replace the valve if it does not work properly. My summer heat comes from the engine in traffic despite a very well insulated car. The times when I have had to run the heater in the summer in an attempt to mitigate engine temp it was unbelieveibly hot. I can't imagine how uncomfortable it would be to have the heater pumping out heat all the time.

Ralph

rdorman
December 14th, 2004, 09:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by terryk

The down side is that no matter what you do, it adds heat to the cockpit in the summer, not a good thing.

Mine is mounted in the engine compartment on top of the passenger side footbox and tucked under the fender. It only adds heat when it is turned on! It is a vintage air unit.
Rick

will butterworth
December 14th, 2004, 01:23 PM
MINE IS ON PASS. SIDE FTBX., has turnon-off inline valve you pull-push and switch for fan. In summer i take curvedductwork off replace it with sheet of metal to keep heat out.With top on i just pull valve, no fan -it,s off, and man it keeps the sweeties tootsies warm, put curved ductwork back on. Gets too hot if the fan is running. Wraparound headers will get you warm on both sides of car anyway, just love it, merry christmas to all-Will-alabama

ramairglenn
December 14th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the ideas and suggestions; there were more good ideas than I was braced for! I went to Unique today and looked at their heater setup and got some more ideas from them. Right now I'm leaning toward no heater and going with thick clothes and maybe one of the electric vests.

Thanks again for the help; I'll probably put up some more questions as I go and I've got a LONG way to go!

homer
December 15th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Heater is useful for defogging the windshield also excess heat on a hot day