PDA

View Full Version : Seat heaters

Tony Radford
December 19th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Has anyone installed one of those electric seat heaters? It looks like it would be $100 well spent if it really works.

427SC, Torch Red / white stripes
427 Windsor Stroker from Southern Automotive
Delicious example of Beauty + Power.

GeorgiaSnake
December 19th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Tony do a search on CC. I saw a thread not long ago on that subject. Also some guys are using a heated vest that plugs into cig lighter. Just finished installing my heater - bring on the artic blast[:o)]

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Tony Radford
December 19th, 2004, 03:02 PM
Randy, I did searches on both CC and FFR. It doesn't appear hardly anyone has taken the plunge. Is it hard to take the leather cover off the seat and get it back on right?

GeorgiaSnake
December 19th, 2004, 03:56 PM
No even you can do it [:o)]

I would get the vest before I did the seats, the warmth will be closer to the skin and you would look cool walking around with a wire trailing behind.Check some of the motorcycle websites. They have electric everything to keep you warm.

I would have done the vest but I already had the heater.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

dmiller
December 19th, 2004, 04:13 PM
i made two of these during my motorcycle days, very effective and cheap compared to the comercial vest or jackets. i made long sleeve versions, and still have one to use in my cobra. if i can do it, anyone can.

doug

First let me say thanks, for the home built Electric Vest Info. Next I just want to pass on important info concerning the home built vests. I noticed that the last update for the article was in 1997. The wire provider Company has changed somewhat, it is now called NEWARKINONE and the wire part number is no longer a good number and can-not be crossed referenced by NEWARK PERSONELL. Based on the wire description in the article I believe I was able to get the proper wire. The wire I got was Belden wire, part # 02F4674 30 awg teflon insulated high temp 7 strand silver plated copper total cost incl. shipping was $18.75, this was the part # for the red wire, color doesn't really matter. My wife made a vest and I wired it for her and it has kept her warm the couple times she used it, I just completed one for me and will try it in a day or two. Had about $30.00 and about 4 hours invested in one vest, It is a great project for a crappy weather day when rideing would not be fun. About 30 ft. of wire per vest should give three vest from one spool of wire. 100 ft. spool is only way you can purchase.

This document had been online for a long time (http://www.Horion.it.luc.edu/~shuff/electrics.html). -- I'd looked at it at least a year ago, and again just a few weeks ago. That was when I printed it. I now find that it's no longer up at its old location, so I am posting it here. Sue was the original author of this document, and she refers to a Mark Rotman as a previous source. I don't claim any originality at all in this - I'm just trying to make this valuable resource available to anyone who wants it.

Marc Mauss

Sue's recipe for Electric Motorcycle Clothing

Back in 1994, someone gave me a copy of an article that described how to make an electric vest. There was only one clue as to the article's origin and that was the author credit: Mark Rotman, GWRRA #33440. So I'm guessing it was from some GoldWing riders' newsletter. I used the article to create an electric vest (which 3 years later I'm still wearing) and now I'd like to offer my own electric clothing 'recipe' for others to use.

Rest assured, you don't need an engineering or electrical background to accomplish this project. (I'm writing this with a person like me in min& very basic stuff!) You need to know an approximate amount of current available on your motorcycle. In many owner's manuals, you can find the number of amps that your bike produces and factor in how much is left over after supplying juice for various functions. Be careful not to overload the system. I was stranded in downtown Chicago on a subzero night because I had used the vest and was experimenting with heated glove inserts and the bike wouldn't start when I left work. The combination proved to draw too much from the alternator. Not good.

I'm only going to give guidelines here. The specifics, like whether to make a vest or jacket or gloves, or how much heat you want, are left up to you.

Stuff that you need:

• wire: 30 gauge, multistranded, teflon coated copper, usually comes in a 100' spool, Order form any electronics supplier. I ordered from Newark Electronics who have locations everywhere. In Schaumburg IL, call (84 7) 310-8980. Their product was called "hook-up wire, "part 36F61OWA. Price in 9197 was $14.20

• wire or lampcord: any 16-18 gauge, insulated wire, like a lamp cord; this wire runs from the vest to the battery so the length is up to you to figure out

• fuse holder: I used an inline holder

• fuse: number of amps depends on how much juice your vest will draw; my vest was only 4-5 amps so I use a 5 amp fuse

• switch: this is optional; I put one on my vest so I could turn it on

DGN406
December 19th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Are you looking at cobraheat.com for seat heaters? Mike is on the FFR forum (need for speed) and can install them for you if needed. The guys i've heard that have them like them and installation was fairly simple. The Unique seats are way better than the FFR's so it might be a little more involved. I've never used them myself. G.

GeorgiaSnake
December 19th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Tony - look here.

http://www.motorsports-network.com/ProdTest/electric/gerbing.htm

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Tony Radford
December 19th, 2004, 05:22 PM
G., I went to www.heaterseats.com and it looks like the same product Mike has for half the price.

Randy, that vest looks interesting, I'll have to think about that one.

Aggressor
December 19th, 2004, 05:48 PM
My wife ordered her 2004 Mini with heated sport seats. Even with a very good car heater, the instant warmth of the seats is most welcome on a crisp winter morning.
- Geary

Mike Geddes
December 20th, 2004, 06:33 AM
Well....I could have used some heated seats, vests, underwear...
anything, this morning......it was MINUS 12 degrees Far.
Mike

Mike Geddes

GeorgiaSnake
December 20th, 2004, 06:39 AM
Mike, if it was that cold you need to move :)

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

ramairglenn
December 23rd, 2004, 07:26 PM
I did a search on E-Bay and found several seat heater kits for resonable prices. I was thinking about doing the seat foam upgrade anyway so I'm going to have my interior shop do both at the same time.

pgermond
December 23rd, 2004, 07:45 PM
All this talk reminded me of a photo I plucked from somewhere awhile back - I wonder if this brave $%#@*!! has a seat heater or heated vest.

Come on you guys - muscle up! We don't need no stinking heaters ;)

http://www.uniquecobra.com/uploaded/pgermond/10304Sm_-_Winter_Driving.jpg

Phil

427 Roadster, #4279436
Southern Automotive FE
3:31 and Toploader

Roseville (N.Cal)

KrAzEcJ
December 23rd, 2004, 10:14 PM
BRRRRRR! lol

Unique 4279459