PDA

View Full Version : I need a "what-cha-ma-call-it"

GeorgiaSnake
December 31st, 2004, 04:41 AM
I got my heater installed (it does put out the heat) except for one part. I need a "what-cha-ma-call-it" to connect the cable to the valve - anybody know what it's called and where I can get one. Alan?

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

Mike Geddes
December 31st, 2004, 04:46 AM
Randy.
I don't know what you would call it....BUT.
Try a bike shop...they have little cable clamps that are used to
hold the brake cable in the caliper.
If your valve operating arm is like some of the 60's and 70's
UK sports cars, they just brazed up the end of the cable and put
a 'step' shape in it.
Mike

Mike Geddes

GeorgiaSnake
December 31st, 2004, 04:56 AM
Bike Shop - Why didn't I think of that? You know the routine if you go to one of the auto parts store - "what model car and year please". Thanks!

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

excelguru
December 31st, 2004, 07:51 AM
You'll find those whachamacallits hanging on the back wall of the bike shop right between the do-hickeys and the thingamajigs. :D

Keith :)
My car is FOR SALE! (http://webpages.charter.net/excelguru/UMC_4_Sale.htm)

GeorgiaSnake
December 31st, 2004, 10:17 AM
Is that the same isle that has the finiginpins and johnsonrods displayed or is closer to the lockoutbearings and zizwheels.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

KrAzEcJ
December 31st, 2004, 10:23 AM
Is that anything like a dumaflaugie or chingasa? cause I use to need one of those too. lol

Unique 4279459

gasman
December 31st, 2004, 01:24 PM
Right beside the gizmo's

Steve Foushee
Unique #4279389

nolastyankee
January 3rd, 2005, 05:46 AM
As a former bike mechanic, I can tell you that most brakes and derailleurs (shifting mechanisms) have the cable attachment points built into the unit, as they are a critical component of smooth operation. Most are button head screws with a slot milled on the underside of the bolt head (to not smash the cable) or a screw with a small hole through the body of the screw itself, just under the head. If you can't fabricate one out of a screw yourself, I might check McMaster Carr under cable or linkages. I hate to be a naysayer, but the bike shop may only be able to source the screw itself or an adjusting ferrule.

Unique 9122 - 289 FIA Cobra - The Legendary "Spence" Car

weaver
January 3rd, 2005, 06:53 AM
I'm glad ya'll figured this one out, now I can put the clip I use back on the shelf.

Alan

GeorgiaSnake
January 3rd, 2005, 07:54 AM
Clip? What happened to the one I was supposed to get with my heater [:o)]

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

weaver
January 3rd, 2005, 02:24 PM
The clip is an option.

GeorgiaSnake
January 4th, 2005, 04:57 AM
An option ? What's it called? I'll take one! How much?

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

weaver
January 4th, 2005, 05:41 AM
I guess I better come clean, I never use a cable on the deverter box, I set the flap about 70% heat and 30% defrost and fix the flap with a screw. I don't like steel cables running close to the back of gauges and the way I see it if you need heat you probably need a little defrost.

Alan

GeorgiaSnake
January 4th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Alan it's not the diverter box, I didn't put in the defroster. I need the doohickey that connects a cable to the valve in the water line going from the motor to the heater core.

Randy

Unique 289 FIA
Southern Automotive 396
Team III 16's
Brilliant Silver

ralphscott
January 6th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Randy I clamped the cable housing down on the valve as is allowed, (the bracket) and wrapped the end of the cable around the vertical stud on valve twice. The tensile strength of the cable and the clamp to hold the cable housing in place allows for a very stable installation. I also set my diverter valve as did Alan however I did 70% defrost and 30% heat. The car is plenty warm even with extensive insulation.